I am the most unlucky guy in the world!!!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SRLMJ23, Aug 12, 2011.

1. SRLMJ23 macrumors 65816

SRLMJ23

So I have a dev. account with Apple. Couldn't get iOS 5 beta 1 to work, tried everything and it gave me some error.

Now jump ahead (I skipped beta's 2-4) and I try and install beta 5, well I get the error code 20 in iTunes (yes it's the latest beta) thing is, I've tried this on all 3 computers in my house and keep getting the same error (20.) I don't understand what the hel* is going on!

Yes, I am on a Windows 7 x64 machine and so are the other computers but come on, 3 different computers and the same error....seems awfully weird.

If anyone has any help or suggestions I'd appreciate them, and yes I've read the Apple support page regarding error 20 and it did me no good.

Thanks in advance.

2. gpc17 macrumors regular

LOL...

Have you clicked restore + shift, or update+shift? Because only restore + shift will work.

Try DFU mode.

3. SRLMJ23 thread starter macrumors 65816

SRLMJ23

I hold down shift then hit restore and it let's me load the ipsw file and it does some extracting but then right after that I always get the error.

I'm at a loss????

4. thunderbunny macrumors 6502a

thunderbunny

Perhaps your ipsw is corrupted? Try re- downloading from the dev centre

5. Ksizzle9 macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_10 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E600 Safari/6533.18.5)

Dumb question but didn't See it clarified anywhere in there, are u using the iTunes betas as well?

6. SRLMJ23 thread starter macrumors 65816

SRLMJ23

Yes, I am using the latest iTunes beta.

And to the guy who said my ipsw might be corrupt, you may be right but you can't get the ipsw on the dev site, they only offer dmg files (at least that I can see, I've never found an ispw file on the dev site.) if you know where they have ispw files on there please let me know!

7. Jman13 macrumors 68000

You can download the dmg file, then extract it using TransMac, which is free for the first 15 days and will extract the ipsw file just fine.

8. SRLMJ23 thread starter macrumors 65816

SRLMJ23

Could I use WinZip? And what do I do, do I open the file in WinZip and the ipsw is in there and I just extract it?

Sorry, I've never been good with WinZip and programs like it, and extracting and all.

9. alecgold macrumors 6502a

alecgold

Hahha, sorry for laughing, but this is just because you're on a windows machine. Dmg's are like a zip file. There is a tool for windows that let you unpack it and then you'll have the ipsw. I don't know it's name, but mroogle might help for that part?!
    It's logic for every Mac user, but I've seen other windows user get flabagasted over this as well.

10. mikelegacy macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

The native extraction tool on the mac should extract the DMG just fine. All the Photoshop plugins I have come as DMGs and they all extract just fine and I don't have TransMac

EDIT: nvm ur on windows.

11. SRLMJ23 thread starter macrumors 65816

SRLMJ23

I have a question for you...

I have a buddy with a Mac, if I go over to his house and use his Mac to install iOS 5 beta (and it works) will I be able to bring it back to my house and hook it up to my PC without losing iOS 5???

If I won't lose iOS 5, I could definitely go that way.

12. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I wouldnt say the most unlucky, maybe not tech savvy...

13. wpotere Guest

Which leads right to the "you should probably avoid beta" quote. ;)

14. Jman13 macrumors 68000

Is there a reason my suggestion of using TransMac isn't sufficient. It worked perfectly for me on Win7 64 bit. I've also heard 7-zip can extract them.

15. SRLMJ23 thread starter macrumors 65816

SRLMJ23

I actually am very tech savvy, just happen to be savvy in Windows.

I'd like to get a Mac soon and use both platforms, but to say I'm not "tech savvy" is quite rude when you don't even know me or my qualifications.

I admit, when it comes to WinZip and programs like that but you ask me pretty much anything else in Windows (95,98,98se,ME, 2000, XP, Vista, 7) I can answer it or figure it out.

16. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

If you were "Very" tech savvy you would at least have figured out how to convert a .dmg file.
    Luck has nothing to do with it.

I agree.

17. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

No offense but if you can't do this how are you going to develop apps?

18. SRLMJ23 thread starter macrumors 65816

SRLMJ23

I'll be d*mned...Jman13, your method worked!! Now I am getting a message in Itunes saying my phone isnt registered in the developer program, but I registered my UDID, do I need to do something else??

19. wpotere Guest

Clearly it isn't registered properly. Seriously, you should stop now before you end up with a worthless paper weight.

20. SDub90 macrumors 6502a

Have you used tiny umbrella on those machines? Have you used a jailbreak before or downgraded firmware? If you did any of those things, check your HOSTS file to see if apple's servers are being redirected.

Or, try your friend's mac.

21. SRLMJ23 thread starter macrumors 65816

SRLMJ23

iOS 5 is on the phone, now it's just telling me in iTunes that "This device is not registered as part of the iPhone developer program"....so what needs to be done? I'm not looking for people to bash me down, I installed iOS 5 and iTunes is giving me that information.

Please, help.

22. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

I wouldn't say this comment is funny, it's pretty frickin' hilarious...

23. SRLMJ23 thread starter macrumors 65816

SRLMJ23

iTunes says to register in the "iPhone Developer Program Portal"....can someone tell me how to do that??

24. SDub90 macrumors 6502a

I think I had the problem with my iPad 2, I removed and entered the UDID again, didn't work at first so I gave up for the next, and worked the next morning.

25. SDub90 macrumors 6502a

go to developer.apple.com -> iOS dev center -> login -> iOS provisioning portal -> devices -> add devices