I am the ONLY one who has it!!!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Garden Rose, Jan 16, 2010.

1. Garden Rose macrumors newbie

Garden Rose

Hi guys,,:D

I hope everybody is fine. It is really nice to be here. I LOVE :apple:.

My problem is that I do not know that much about the laptops. I had a Toshiba and now I am thinking so so much of having a Mac Apple laptop.:rolleyes:

BUT, the area I live in is very small and this laptop is not common here.

My friend made me feel worried.:eek: She said that I might not be able to share the clips and files with others because they are all Windows.:(

I still want to buy a Mac Apple Pro Laptop, but is this TRUE? :confused:

I mean will I find difficulty with others who have just Windows? OK!! and if they send me a Microsoft folder, will I be able to open it with the Mac word prepossess? How about the Music and the Videos, I want to share with friends? :confused:

Thank You so much,,
    Please help me with this.

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Welcome to the Forum and to the Mac world

Music, videos and pictures should all be fine to share

Your MS Office files should be compatible with the Mac versions for the most part

If you have some specific questions, don't hesitate to ask
    Most Windows programs have equivalent Mac applications
    And compatibility in sharing is almost always able to be achieved

Check out the info here on switching

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

3. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

You will be able to view 95% of all the files that Windows users can view. Microsoft makes Office for Mac so you can open Word and Excel files. You can also listen to most music files and view most video files. The one major exception is DRM'd WMV files.

4. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

About 100% of successful music and most videos are created on Macs.

No there won't be problems.

Macs can also run 100% of Windows apps / formats by using virtualization.

5. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

The former is not true, unless you have a broad definition of "about."

The latter, and more important, is true.

OP, welcome to the Mac world. If you are looking for a specific topic, try use mroogle, our special version of Google. I also suggest checking out Apple's Mac 101.

6. Garden Rose thread starter macrumors newbie

Garden Rose

Thankx

Hey thanks a lot all of you,, I am really happy for your reply and it is my pleasure to enter the Mac wonderful world. ;)

Ok! I got your points about the Videos and sounds, I do not really care for the Ram sounds but I do care about Real Player, so is it fine?

And if I have that Microsoft Office for my Mac, can I open the word files for Word 2007, 2003 for example?

And how about the Hotmail? Can I still use it in the way I like or there are some changes?

Thank YOU so much,,,:D I am really happy to be here. :)

7. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Yes

You can still access it fine.

8. chameleon81 macrumors 6502

Yes you can. But if Word and Excel are REALLY important to you I would suggest you to have Vmware of Parallels and use Windows version of Office .

9. Garden Rose thread starter macrumors newbie

Garden Rose

Thank you all so much,, but hey I am teacher and I do need the word so bad, I can use the one with Mac but I am just a bit worried if my colleague wants to share something with me and I want to add or edit so I can?
    then thegoldenmackid said it is fine.. sure? :D

If so why do I need to use the Windows Version? :eek:

With my respect :D

10. P Mentior macrumors regular

You don't need the windows version but the interface is quite a bit different on the mac version. I use both and for any heavy writing i prefer windows but that may change when Office 2010 is released for both windows and mac. I really do hope that they will at least have similar interfaces.....

11. DesignerOnMac macrumors 6502a

DesignerOnMac

I would suggest that you use your MBP without a Window on your hard drive and see you can do all you want to do with your Windows colleagues. As mentioned here there should be NO problems with just using the Mac OS.

If you run into problems install Windows and you can boot into either and all will also be good.

All of my clients run Windows and I receive files, music, pictures etc., without any issues.

12. Vogue Harper macrumors 6502

Vogue Harper

I find that Word on the Mac is fine for all but the most complex of documents created on PCs and vice versa.

Where it sometimes struggles is on documents which have specific formatting/styles applied to them. I have occasionally had problems with documents where a lot of reviewing tools have been applied to them i.e. track changes, mark-ups and annotations. It is not so much that the Mac version of Word cannot handle these type of documents, it's when you transfer them back and forth between Macs and PCs that strange things seem to happen to them. If you are dealing with documents like this then I would do as others have suggested and run the PC version of Word in a virtual machine - surprisingly easy to do with a Mac.

13. Winni macrumors 68030

Winni

You don't honestly believe that.

Yes, there will be, unless somebody tells this guy how many and which third party codecs and applications he will need to install on his Mac to get everything running.

In reality, the Mac is only friendly to media created by Apple with Apple's own software. Everything else - and that is unfortunately the majority of formats on this planet - requires third party software.

Yes. And if you go down this lane, why the hell are you telling somebody to switch to a Mac? In order to run a virtualized non-Apple operating system? What's the purpose of "migrating" or "switching" to a new platform when you will be needing crutches to talk?

To the original poster: Only switch to a Mac when you are 100% sure that you can live WITHOUT Windows or Linux or whatever else it is you might be using now. And since you are a Microsoft Office for Windows user... No, you won't be happy with a Mac. Office for Mac sucks and none of the other office apps out there are truly compatible with Microsoft Office for Windows either. They all try, and they all fail.

And if you need other business software -- forget the Mac, too. The corporate desktop/client world runs on Microsoft Windows platforms. End of story.

14. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

OP, just keep in mind, everybody has an opinion and this is one poster's thoughts
    There are many others who would disagree either mildly or strongly

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

15. Winni macrumors 68030

Winni

Because the Mac version of Microsoft Office does not support macros and it also rather frequently has some problems with the formatting of a document created with the Windows version of Microsoft Office.

And Office for the Mac is as slow as a snail. I have a Quad Xeon Mac Pro with 8 GB RAM, and Office:Mac is no fun to use at all. In fact, I only use Entourage because the rest simply performs unacceptable given all the horse power that my computer has. It is true: A virtualized Office 2007 for Windows performs better than the native Office version for Mac OS X.

16. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I disagree with this. While Winni makes valid points, I don't think that for most users this would be case. Most users seems to be fine with the native version.

17. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

Strongly in this case. I can't believe some of the responses this thread has been getting. Yes, there are some things Macs require third party software to do. Yes, there are even some things Macs can't do at all. All the same, I would bet dollars to donuts that a Mac can do everything the OP needs it to do, and that getting the software that is needed won't be difficult.

18. ecualegacy macrumors regular

Bottom Line Up Front: OS X will support anything you need it to unless you need to do some fancy macros in Excel (a rare problem for the average user). You don't even how to buy software. Open Office works just fine for typical document composition, presentations, and spreadsheet use. (Caveat: It *is* annoying to have to select the "save as" to the most compatible format, although there may be a way to set to a default format ... I'm still learning myself :D ).

19. ToroidalZeus macrumors 68020

ToroidalZeus

It is called VLC.

Windows needs more 3rd party software off the bat.

ex. OS X has preview built in for PDFs, windows does not.
    This is just a lie.

With 10,000 messages entourage is laggy and can barley scroll at all. OEM mac mail runs perfect on the other hand.

As for the other office apps, they run perfectly on os x.

Original Poster, buy a mac, you will not regret it.

20. racer1441 macrumors 68000

Buy your mac, you'll love it.

Tell the rest of the poor window user saps that life is hard, suck it up, then throw something at them an run away.

You'll be fine. Office is available for mac, it opens almost every file, and you can run windows if you really really want to.

Just remember, windows users aren't really people, so don't listen to them.

21. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

It's not that Mac stuff isn't compatible to Windows junk, it's Windows junk that's not compatible with Mac stuff.

Your friend is completely wrong. Macs can boot both Windows and Mac OS X (the former being a POS) and inside Mac OS X, you can virtualize Windows. Google VMware Fusion, Parallels Desktop, or VirtualBox for more info.

Music, video, Word, PowerPoint, Excel, etc. all work just fine. Although I prefer iWork since Word and PowerPoint are using stolen IP technologies.

22. Salavat23 macrumors 6502

No you can't. As soon as you get into BIOS deep software, your luck runs out.

23. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Yes you are right. However, even windows 7 doesn't run 100% of windows programs.

24. IntelliUser macrumors 6502

Think you've chosen the wrong thread to discuss about this, you'll confuse the OP more than help them.

25. sweex macrumors member

I never had one single codec that I wasn't able to run, or by a third-party application, or by converting, I often had to ask my good old friend google, but he doesn't mind such things so if you wan't to buy your mac, buy it!
    I do have a little impression that you don't know a lot about OS X and its differences but you'll soon notice that often you can simply drag and drop and you will start wonder why you were doing that complicated on your windows...