I am the Walrus... analysis please?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by redwarrior, Jun 9, 2008.

1. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

My daughter is in love with the new movie Across the Universe. She is obsessed with figuring out what the song I am the Walrus is about and if it has any special meaning. We have read the wiki on this, so we already know a little about it; however, this has only sparked her curiosity. Anyone care to share their thoughts and/or knowledge of facts about this song?

Please specify whether this is your opinion, or known factual data.

She's also interested in Come Together, so feel free to chime in on that one too.

2. floyde macrumors 6502a

floyde

"Let the f***ers work that one out, Pete"

Lol, I think it might've been Lennon trying to be as obscure as possible. Perhaps he got tired of explaining his lyrics to everyone. I do think the song has a meaning however, but I've no idea what that meaning is. If you want to be even more confused, remember the lyrics from the glass onion:

"Well here's another clue for you all, the walrus was Paul."

So either Paul McCartney had a connection with walruses or John liked to mess with people's heads :p. Wonderful song though.

3. redwarrior thread starter macrumors 603

redwarrior

Thanks, cause we didn't know about the glass onion. Interesting, the plot thickens.

4. floyde macrumors 6502a

floyde

You can find a ton of interpretations here. Most of them seem like opinions though.

I also heard once that the Walrus was some kind of symbol for death, so the song had a connection with the Paul is dead myth. But that's just something I heard.

5. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

I've been wanting to see that movie, as I have to admit, the Beatles have been growing on me :rolleyes:

You guys recommend it?

6. redwarrior thread starter macrumors 603

redwarrior

The music is not performed by the Beatles, a band I'm not in to at all. The music is all redone and very good. I found myself becoming very fond of the music as my daughter played the movie over and over again! And I have to say, I've you've never done acid, this movie will give you a good feel for it; I highly recommend it. (the movie, not acid, that's another thread.)

7. Surely Guest

Surely

Sorry, I don't mean to be a PITA, but it's the "Beatles", not beetles.

If you're not into the Beatles, and you like the music from the movie, it would be fair to say that if you gave the Beatles a shot, you would fall in love with them.

Give 'Abbey Road' or 'Sgt. Peppers' a listen to start with. :)

"1+1+1 is 3"

8. redwarrior thread starter macrumors 603

redwarrior

Sorry about not paying attention to the spelling.:eek: (I fixed it.)
    I just don't like the Beatles' sound. I've listened to all of their music, performed by them, and it just doesn't appeal to me.

9. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

Yes, Beatles, as in not the bugs, it was 10:30PM after an hour workout at the gym. :rolleyes:

I shall go back and correct the injustice. :p

I have a couple a few songs, and I have to admit, they are catchy. I wonder if I have some on my ipod right now!

10. MotleyPete macrumors regular

To me it sounds like a band of scousers on drugs throwing together words that sound like fun.

Still, what do I know eh?

11. redwarrior thread starter macrumors 603

redwarrior

You apparently know some. Here's a quote from the Wiki

12. MotleyPete macrumors regular

People tend to think that guys in bands are lot deeper and cleverer than they really are. Most of the time they are just messing around.

13. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

14. redwarrior thread starter macrumors 603

redwarrior

I agree with you 100%. (Where are we running too?:D)

15. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

16. Melrose macrumors 604

Melrose

Agreements. Ringo and George were the best ones, musically, and wrote the least of their songs. John was overinflated as a songwriter, and all Paul could do was write cheesy jingles and string them together to make a song. Their best song, ironically, was Hey Jude...

On Topic: A lot of their popular songs were about drug use (they were one of the first pro-drug groups out there). Hey Jude, Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds/ LSD, etc. I would venture a guess that Walrus is about tripping out to whatever mind-altering substance was on hand atm.

17. MotleyPete macrumors regular

Putting Ringo above John is pushing it a tad.

I mean. Come on.

18. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Ringo was the walrus. Just look at him!

"Sea Lion ..... (da DA)
    Sea Lion....... (DA da)"

19. Surely Guest

Surely

Hey Jude was not about drugs. Paul wrote it about Julian Lennon, John's son.

Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds was never fully confirmed to be about LSD. According to John, it was about a drawing that John's son drew at school. In 2004, Paul confirmed that "Julian's painting had inspired the song, but that it was "pretty obvious" that the song was also inspired by LSD."

A lot of their popular songs were not about drugs.

Their best song was not 'Hey Jude', IMHAHO.

It's easy to say that the Beatles are overrated if you haven't really given them a chance. Their music is timeless.

You need to take a listen to albums like Rubber Soul (my favorite album) and Revolver (the first CD I ever bought almost 20 years ago, and still listen to regularly) to truly appreciate this band.

I listen to all different types of music, and throughout my years of changing tastes, I have never grown tired or sick of the Beatles. That says something about a band.

20. floyde macrumors 6502a

floyde

Music appreciation is completely subjective. Let's leave it at that. ;)

21. paddy macrumors 6502a

paddy

There's not a whole lot to be taken out of 'IatW' methinks, they wrote so bizarrely partly to annoy the people who were taking too much hidden meaning out of their stuff IIRC.

22. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

What part of melrose's post didn't you agree with?

Macca sucks, and he picks on poor disabled women, but only after he marries them.

George was cool.

John was overrated.

Ringo was meh.

I guess I don't agree with Ringo being useful, or Hey Jude being their best song, but the stuff about Macca, George, and John were quite accurate.

23. redwarrior thread starter macrumors 603

redwarrior

That appears to be the best explanation. I remember studying American Pie by Rich Kulaweic, and all the meaning in that song. And then when my daughter started asking questions about the "walrus" I thought I'd get some help. It doesn't appear that there was anything to it. My daughter and her friends are very amused by it, whether it has any particular message or not.:)

24. Evangelion macrumors 68040

I don't usually like to purposefully steer people to my blog, but this time I just have to: link

25. redwarrior thread starter macrumors 603

redwarrior

Good one! My sentiments exactly.;)