Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stevemiller

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2008
The display is still the same, but is changed the supplier, LG in iPad 4, Samsung in iPad 3.

I've heard that iPad 4 displays have other flaws, like the massive backlight bleeding... Apple should be more careful in they quality control of third parties stuff.

Backlight bleed in apple products is definitely nothing new, though! Heck my 2008 mbp had terrible backlight bleed. Luckily it's 2011 replacement was much better. I agree that multiple suppliers can definitely contribute to the uneven quality control. And as I recall lg and Samsung were both suppliers on the 3 as well. Maybe they each take turns at sucking ;)

CthrewU

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2010
Could you try this brief clip? Just pause it anywhere in fullscreen and hide the interface. The yellow car should noticeably shift in color within a second or two.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fx3t28i3nx5kkj7/sample.mp4

Will look something like below if your ipad has this issue.
ImageImage

Definitely more noticeable using this clip. I also have been able to reproduce this issue in the native video app while watching the latest Star Trek movie from iTunes. Tried to restore as new to see if it made a difference and the issue is still present. The screen on my iPad is perfect otherwise. No light bleed or discolorations to speak of, also no image retention. Could not duplicate this on my iPhone 5 or iPad 2. All devices are running iOS 6.0

VinegarTasters

macrumors 6502
Nov 20, 2007
Video to End All Doubters

I think this video should end all who doubt what the OP is saying. It should be put on the front page. View the videos full screen if you can't see the details.

For those who are too lazy, here is what the first video says in the description...

This video shows the iPad 4 adjusts gamma settings dynamically, especially when you are playing videos. Is this a good thing? Should the display be like a camera system where the software adjusts the exposure for brightness? In this case gamma is adjusted, making some things in the display too bright or too dark to see. Could interference with gamma ruin good movies where they are meant to be at one gamma setting throughout the movie? If a scene is supposed to be dark, and you make it too bright, you may ruin the flavor of horror movies.

Hopefully this is not a way to compensate for poor dynamic range of the display made by LG (especially in viewing darker ranges of images like in movies or films). As an example, if the display can only handle subtle shades brighter images, and the darks are difficult to differentiate between shades, then the software may try to brighten the darker scenes until a brighter scene comes on. A good display should be able to display both bright shades and dark shades at the same time if it has good dynamic range. This is ONLY a speculation. Not a full-proof answer to why Apple does this in iPad 4. It has been reported that iPad 3 and iPad Mini does not have this dynamic gamma adjustment.

Last edited:

jonnyb098

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
I think this video should end all who doubt what the OP is saying. It should be put on the front page. View the videos full screen if you can't see the details.

YouTube: video

You can read the annotations in the video (make sure it is on). And read the description too provided in that video.

The video shows the dynamic gamma changes over and over again. You can do this too yourself by using the four finger swipe method. See video below...

YouTube: video

For those who are too lazy, here is what the first video says in the description...

This video shows the iPad 4 adjusts gamma settings dynamically, especially when you are playing videos. Is this a good thing? Should the display be like a camera system where the software adjusts the exposure for brightness? In this case gamma is adjusted, making some things in the display too bright or too dark to see. Could interference with gamma ruin good movies where they are meant to be at one gamma setting throughout the movie? If a scene is supposed to be dark, and you make it too bright, you may ruin the flavor of horror movies.

Hopefully this is not a way to compensate for poor dynamic range of the display made by LG (especially in viewing darker ranges of images like in movies or films). As an example, if the display can only handle subtle shades brighter images, and the darks are difficult to differentiate between shades, then the software may try to brighten the darker scenes until a brighter scene comes on. A good display should be able to display both bright shades and dark shades at the same time if it has good dynamic range. This is ONLY a speculation. Not a full-proof answer to why Apple does this in iPad 4. It has been reported that iPad 3 and iPad Mini does not have this dynamic gamma adjustment.

YES! A great video showing this issue. This should be sent to Apple...as if they already don't know. It still amazes me that the executives that use these products don't get ticked off.

jonnyb098

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
INSTALL iOS 6.1 beta 4?

Can anyone with an iPad 4 and dev account install it and see if that fixes the issue? That will be a good indicator as to if it will be fixed if it hasn't by Beta 4. If not then it looks like we may be stuck with this issue.

hachre

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2007
INSTALL iOS 6.1 beta 4?

Can anyone with an iPad 4 and dev account install it and see if that fixes the issue? That will be a good indicator as to if it will be fixed if it hasn't by Beta 4. If not then it looks like we may be stuck with this issue.

Not fixed.

Last edited:

iosuser

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2012
I've been catching up on the entire series of Fringe on Amazon instant video on my iPad 4, 2-3 episodes a day for the past couple of weeks. I notice the slight contrast fluctuation in the dark scenes. It seems like it's power management, because on the Nintendo 3DS and the Wii U gamepad, if I enable power saving on the screen, screen detail levels are dropped, much like the videos posted here. I have to really pay attention to notice it. Not a deal breaker for me.

I used to obsess over things like this, never happy with anything I bought. Now I'm ignorant to minute stuff like this and am much happier.

dcorban

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2007
All along I thought the problem was that the screen fluctuated in brightness randomly even on paused video. Now I realize that it's just the normal function of pretty much ever modern LCD display. I would have ever noticed unless I came here and watched the sample videos. I watch videos on my iPad all the time and have never noticed.

nathanjbrown

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2008
Santa Barbara, CA
I've been catching up on the entire series of Fringe on Amazon instant video on my iPad 4, 2-3 episodes a day for the past couple of weeks. I notice the slight contrast fluctuation in the dark scenes. It seems like it's power management, because on the Nintendo 3DS and the Wii U gamepad, if I enable power saving on the screen, screen detail levels are dropped, much like the videos posted here. I have to really pay attention to notice it. Not a deal breaker for me.

I used to obsess over things like this, never happy with anything I bought. Now I'm ignorant to minute stuff like this and am much happier.

All along I thought the problem was that the screen fluctuated in brightness randomly even on paused video. Now I realize that it's just the normal function of pretty much ever modern LCD display. I would have ever noticed unless I came here and watched the sample videos. I watch videos on my iPad all the time and have never noticed.

I can tell you that the problem is so severe that I went back to my Blu-ray copy - from which the movie was ripped - thinking that I'd received a defective disc or something. On my iPad, while watching select movies, so much "washing out" occurs that image detail is completely lost.

There's a scene in the Dark Knight Rises - around the 20 minute mark - when Catwoman enters a bar with the congressman and hands over Bruce Wayne's finger prints. Shortly after the thug locks the bar doors, the image suddenly washes out and much of the detail of the bar around them is lost. The same thing takes place a short while later as she and Bruce Wayne dance at a party.

The same file played back on my iMac and AppleTV(3) exhibit no such problems.

I used to look for every little blemish and flaw, but no longer. I don't bother looking for bad pixels or minute fit-and-finish issues, but when the problem slaps me in the face...

Nathan

4rtemidis

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2012
Switzerland
Same problem here! So is it true that every iPad has this issue? I mean there is no point in replacing my device because I will probably get another iPad with the same issue?

So what can we do? Report it to apple and hope they can fix it via software update?

uncore

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2012
Same problem here! So is it true that every iPad has this issue? I mean there is no point in replacing my device because I will probably get another iPad with the same issue?

So what can we do? Report it to apple and hope they can fix it via software update?

I visited several apple stores; unfortunately all displayed iPad 4s had this issue. I am starting to think its a feature... :eek:

saberahul

macrumors 68040
Nov 6, 2008
USA
Just tried on my 2 and compared it to my 4. Nothing different… not sure why you're facing it. I should mention that I bought the 4 when it came out (1 week after).

speekez

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2003
Saw this after going to apple trailers and playing HD pacific rim trailer full screen. I can see it fade right when the green "the following preview..." Screen comes up. If I exit back to home screen after that I get the messed up icon colors.

uncore

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2012
And the iPad 3?

No, I had iPad 3 just before the 4. gen and no issues. My dad has iPad 3, no issues there. Today, I checked 2 other iPad 3 and I was unable to replicate the issue. I am almost 100% sure its iPad 4 related.

P.S. : I sell apple products occasionaly, especialy iPhones and iPads so that I have experienced majority of issues mentioned here. Chips/ nicks/ scratches on iPhone 5, terrible light leak on both ipad + iphones and many others.

Btw. iPad 4 has one more issue to notice: Camera on the back does not fit the camera hole properly. There is a space between alluminium housing and camera collecting dust and dirt, not good! Mostly on 4. gen iPads :mad: I will post pictures later.

Triangle Man

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2012
It's called Dynamic Contrast. A lot of displays have this feature. My Samsung monitor also has this feature. Maybe the iPad 4 is powerful enough to do this.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
It's called Dynamic Contrast. A lot of displays have this feature. My Samsung monitor also has this feature. Maybe the iPad 4 is powerful enough to do this.

It's something to do with dynamic contrast control, but it's completely broken (and I have a lot of products with contrast control/dynamic irises etc).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.