Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Anti-Lucifer if you see the contrast change in the icons, that contrast change already happened during the video. So to me it seems like you are experiencing the problem but simply don't notice it.

nathanjbrown

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2008
Santa Barbara, CA
OK. Here it is. Clear as day. I won't even bother describing what exactly to look for as it's painfully clear.

Note:
This is an iPad 4th gen.
The iPad's auto-brightness is turned OFF.
Exposure, white balance, aperture, etc. are all fixed on the camera.

This poor video performance is a serious distraction and was never an issue on my 1st gen iPad.

http://youtu.be/QE2Zfbz7Boc

Nathan

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
OK. Here it is. Clear as day. I won't even bother describing what exactly to look for as it's painfully clear.

Note:
This is an iPad 4th gen.

This poor video performance is a serious distraction and was never an issue on my 1st gen iPad.

Nathan

Great example. The iPad 4 really is awful for videos. Really, really awful. :(

PattyMc

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2012
William, I do not have this with mine...no flickering at all, I can plainly see it in Nathan's video but can't replicate on mine. I turned off auto brightness and still didn't happen for me.

Last edited:

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
William any luck getting through to Apple about this? I remember you saying something in an earlier post.

Yes, I've gotten through to Apple and spoken to senior advisors a few times. They tell me to return it/exchange it. Hah!

Anyway, they are apparently aware of the problem so hopefully in the next update it will be fixed. Fingers crossed...?

jonnyb098

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
Yes, I've gotten through to Apple and spoken to senior advisors a few times. They tell me to return it/exchange it. Hah!

Anyway, they are apparently aware of the problem so hopefully in the next update it will be fixed. Fingers crossed...?

Ok, sounds good. As long as they are saying its an issue. I know it looks like its supposed to be a feature (dynamic contrast/gamma). Clearly very annoying during certain videos.

Anti-Lucifer

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
Anti-Lucifer if you see the contrast change in the icons, that contrast change already happened during the video. So to me it seems like you are experiencing the problem but simply don't notice it.

What movie is that (nathanjbrown) so I can test out? I'd like to test on that specific video for most of the movies and tv shows I have does not have that effect depicted in the YouTube video where even the letterbox is washed out :confused:

evoixdan

macrumors member
Feb 2, 2010
My 2 day old retina is suffering from the problems posted in the OP. Thinking about returning it for a mini.

dazz87

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2007

Note:
This is an iPad 4th gen.

Nathan

Looks like you need to do an exchange. 100% of my viewing of tv shows and movies are with the lights off, and I dont have any issue on my ipad 4.

novono

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2012
Well, I'd like to revise my previous impressions of experiencing the icon behavior only. I don't know whether it's gotten worse or I'm just looking at videos triggering the behavior more easily but it's really irritating and frequent now.

I'm seriously considering returning it however, what if people not experiencing the problem just aren't watching videos that trigger it on THEIR devices? I went back and watched the test videos in this thread and where a few of you had similar problems, it seems I can't replicate with these, but its definitely happening with other videos. So it still could be a software issue. Urgh!

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Well, I'd like to revise my previous impressions of experiencing the icon behavior only. I don't know whether it's gotten worse or I'm just looking at videos triggering the behavior more easily but it's really irritating and frequent now.

I'm seriously considering returning it however, what if people not experiencing the problem just aren't watching videos that trigger it on THEIR devices? I went back and watched the test videos in this thread and where a few of you had similar problems, it seems I can't replicate with these, but its definitely happening with other videos. So it still could be a software issue. Urgh!

It's definitely a software problem, since it doesn't have this issue in AVPlayer HD (no longer on the App store) and other apps.

*EDIT*

AV Player HD is actually back on the App store. That's good.

novono

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2012
Oh I see. Has anyone created a thread on the apple support forum I could add to to get their attention? (Sorry if its been mentioned, it's quite a long thread).

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Oh I see. Has anyone created a thread on the apple support forum I could add to to get their attention? (Sorry if its been mentioned, it's quite a long thread).

Yes. I've been in fairly regular contact with Apple. I'm hoping the next update will fix the issue. But who knows... :(

novono

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2012
Well, now that it think about it, it's been happening in the Tonido streaming app as well. Is it any indication it could be more than software issue then?

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Well, now that it think about it, it's been happening in the Tonido streaming app as well. Is it any indication it could be more than software issue then?

Nope. It's software. Some apps uses Apple's own video rendering software (the problem), and others use their own rendering software (like AVPlayer HD).

Mishimal

macrumors newbie
Dec 26, 2012
So it's almost 100% sure that this is a software issue? There is no need then to replace my new iPad 4, I should just wait for the next iOS upgrade and hope that it solves the problem?

When using AVHDPlayer, this problem does not occur?

trouble747

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2011
Yep, my new ipad 4 does this...

Although I should note that I haven't noticed it when simply watching videos. However, if I pause a dark image (say in the itunes store), I will notice the screen get slightly brighter, and exiting to the desktop will result in a brief washed out image. Basically I have to look for it.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
I had the problem and returned it. Waiting on what Apple will do and also for the next gen which I did not really care about till now to tell the truth.

kodeman53

macrumors 65816
May 4, 2012
Thank you for your wonderful contribution to this thread. I'll leave the heading as is, because what my iPad DISPLAYS is actually flawed.

At least what I posted was the truth, unlike what this thread has become.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.