I bought a new iphone 4 but man i feel jipped !

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gdeusthewhizkid, Feb 22, 2011.

1. gdeusthewhizkid macrumors 6502a

hey guys

I just got my new iphone 4 from at&T. I decided to stick them out and not go verizon. I have a contract anyway and it wouldve cost way too much to leave at&t.

Here's why I feel taken.

My upgrade eligibility is not until 11/23/2011 for the iphone 5. Im going on a few trips in a few months and i wanted to have the HD recording feature that the iphone 4 has.

At&t rep said i had to pay for second line if i wanted the 199.00 discount rate. If i didnt do that I wouldve had to pay 499.00 for a 16 gig iphone 4.

Do you guys think at&t took me for a ride?

2. Kblakeshot macrumors member

This is normal.

3. lsvtecjohn3 macrumors 6502a

So you're not eligible until 11/23/2011 and the only way you can get the iPhone 4 for the $199 prices is to add a line.... Sounds normal to me. Why do you think you should have gotten the iPhone for $199 price? You're not eligible.

4. HitchHykr macrumors 6502a

HitchHykr

I don't see how you were taken for a ride. You signed a contract and your upgrade eligibility is not until 11/23/2011 but you couldn't wait and had to have it now....

BTW, why not just get a HD camcorder? You could've have one for less than $150 and its video would have been orders of magnitude better than the iPhone's.

5. pricej636 macrumors 6502

So instead of paying 499 for the iPhone, you opted to pay 540 (over time, but still), plus be under contract for the second line for two years. Not to mention if you have smart phones on both lines, you are also paying ANOTHER $30 a month for data. You could end up paying almost $1000 for that phone. Sure, its sounds great to only pay $200 for a new phone but what are you going to pay over the next two years?

I would have just paid the 499 and not started a new contract. Probably would have saved you money.

6. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

You signed a contract with AT&T for (presumably) two years. Your contract doesn't expire until 11/2011.

How exactly do you think AT&T is "taking you for a ride?" Are you aware of how subsidies work?

If you are so desperate for a new iPhone, then pony up the cash. Otherwise, wait until November.

7. elan123 macrumors 6502

all cell phone companies take us for a ride... its to be expected and embraced.

8. zenio macrumors 6502

9. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

Bad performance when playing your cards. You should have said that you were leaving to Verizon because they are giving you a better deal to get an iPhone 4, and see what they offered you.

10. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

That's one way to do it.

11. drummingcraig macrumors 6502a

drummingcraig

No AT&T did not take you for a ride. They simply followed their own protocol regarding device upgrades.

However, if I were you I would've held off on the upgrade, paid $100 (or less) for an HD flip camera (or something similar) and waited until November when A) you could get the full upgrade discount and B) possibly get the iP5 if it is out by then.

Hindsight is 20/20 I guess.

12. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

So come 11/23/2011 and the iPhone 5, what are you going to do with this new iPhone 4 and line/contract its tied to? It'll be ~$300 to cancel it.

Sounds to me like you didn't think it though all the way. Better to just have paid retail for the iPhone 4 and not taken a 2 year contract on another line.

13. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

You signed a contract.

I paid $499 for my early upgrade and sold my previous one for almost the same amount. I don't feel jipped.

14. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

The only reason you've been "taken" is because you've decided that the only device that can record HD video on your trip is the iPhone 4. But that's not the case.

There's lots of inexpensive cameras out there that will take just as good videos for about the same amount as a subsidized iPhone 4. But, I guess not carrying an extra device around was worth at least $300 to you.

15. IBradMac macrumors 68000

IBradMac

There are no good deals in the wireless market, ever.

16. gameface macrumors 6502

17. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

No they didn't take you for a ride.
    You just don't understand how contracts, hardware upgrades and subsidies work.

18. Geffen macrumors 6502

I dont think you got taken for a ride at all, you have an iphone 4 for $199.00 the only way i can see if you got jipped if you are only going to use the iphone 4 for video recording and thats it. If you dont like the iphone 4 you can always cancel your contract and buy an actual camera to do video recording.

19. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

Agreed. If you just wanted an HD recording feature, then you should've just got a HD camera.
    Anyway, you learn from experience.

20. uneek1 macrumors regular

Did you get taken for a ride? Yes.
    Is this normal ATT or any other carrier company protocol? Yes

21. gdeusthewhizkid thread starter macrumors 6502a

i actually tried that lol.. they said .. you wont be able to talk and surf at the same time...

22. gdeusthewhizkid thread starter macrumors 6502a

lol thanks ..

23. gdeusthewhizkid thread starter macrumors 6502a

you guys know how to kick someone when he's down...

24. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Lol :D
    Well they were right but you could have put your poker face on and act like that doesnt matter to you.
    Like the rest of the verizon people:D