iPhone 6(S)(+) I bought a new iPhone 6 in 2018... am I crazy?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by EightyTwenty, Apr 4, 2018.

1. EightyTwenty macrumors 6502a

Considering I’m coming from an iPhone 4s running iOS 9 (virtually unusable), the 6 is a massive upgrade in every way.

It is noticeably lighter and more comfortable to hold than the 6s, in my opinion. And I feel only a slight difference in performance. Yes, the 6s feels faster, but not by much.

I’m running iOS 11.3 and it flies on the 6. Haven’t had any slowdowns at all. My only concern is that it will show its age much quicker than the 6s.

Considering screen size, benchmark scores, weight, build quality, screen quality, and operating system, I feel like this was the best decision for me.

So am I nuts for buying such an old phone in 2018.

2. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

You should get a good couple years out of it if your 4S had served this long. Had mine not suffered touch disease, would probably still be using it.

3. BenTrovato macrumors 68030

BenTrovato

A lot of threads lately asking if “I’m crazy”. You’re not crazy!

But yes, the 6 is considerably slower than the 6s... give it a few weeks

4. EM2013 macrumors 68000

EM2013

The 6 is already outdated. No way I would’ve bought a 6 in 2018.

5. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

Depends on price

If it was super cheap you aren’t crazy

6. mtneer macrumors 68030

mtneer

This is it.

All depends on the price you paid. If you actually paid Apple's asking 2018 price to a 2015 product, then you got ripped off. You should have gotten the phone at a huge discount...

7. GalaDaliGirl Suspended

GalaDaliGirl

My 3+ year old 6 runs perfectly. I can text, email and browse the web just fine. Not sure why people think the 6 sucks. Works great.

8. pika2000 macrumors 601

Imo, the SE would've been a better investment. The 6 is hobbled by 1GB of RAM.

9. EightyTwenty thread starter macrumors 6502a

Not cheap in the slightest. Paid full price from a carrier. A few Canadian carriers sell the 32gb iPhone 6 that was released in 2017. Comes in a different box than the original.

Cost me $30 more than the iPhone SE goes for in Canada. I know the internal specs are better on the SE, but the screen on the 6 is a big deal.

I basically decided on the 6 because it was the cheapest 4.7” iPhone available on the market.

Remember, I’m coming from a 4s. It couldn’t even browse web pages any longer. My needs are very humble. I don’t know why I should pay more for specs that I don’t need.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 4, 2018 ---
    I actually returned a SE for the 6. Yes, the SE is noticeably faster. No question about that. But my use case for a phone is mostly forum browsing, YouTube, banking apps, Skype, etc. Isn’t that stuff infinitely better on the 6?

10. tonybarnaby macrumors 65816

I'm confused what the purpose of this thread is. You got what you could afford, so why ask if you're crazy? My guess is you know the 6 is lacking with only one gb of ram.

I would return it and buy a 6s or even 7 used but mint on swappa.

6s go for around $300 in mint condition. 7 go for around $350 mint.

11. BugeyeSTI macrumors 68020

BugeyeSTI

6 was the only phone I sold 2 months after purchase. Unless it was free, I would of spent the money on a 6S or an SE

12. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

You’re going to find Varying opinions of others telling you that you are crazy for paying what you did or others will make other suggestions what iPhone you should have purchased, the reality is, if you’re content with the phone performance and satisfied with your Purchase with the iPhone 6, that’s all that matters.

13. Anksri macrumors newbie

Anksri

It depends upon your need and usage.

If you just want to purchase iPhone 6 to be used as a Secondary Phone for say answering a few calls and browsing and watching videos along with occasional Facebook and Whats App usage then go for it without any second thoughts.

If however, you want to buy an iPhone as your Primary Device then I would strongly advise you to steer clear of iPhone 5s or iPhone 6. Go for iPhone SE, 6s or above. The reason being that

• iPhone 6 in 2018 will already be 3.5 years old and there are high chances that it might be taken off the market by Apple.
    • Also, the latest iOS 11 update will not perform as expected on iPhone 6.
    • Moreover, further iOS Updates focus more on 3D Touch actions which are a crucial feature missing in iPhone 6.
    • Also, iPhone 6 has less RAM and a weaker camera as compared to 6s and others.
    • Most importantly the battery size is small and hence it provides lesser backup if used for heavy and intensive usage for the whole day like playing games and continuously watching videos.
    • You would probably like to invest in a higher storage variant preferably the 64GB or 128GB, something which iPhone 6 does not offer and neither will in future.

14. Chazzle macrumors 68000

Chazzle

The iPhone 6 has a larger battery (1810mah) than the 6s (1715mah) FYI.

15. Ffosse macrumors 68000

16. Phone Junky, Apr 5, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2018

Phone Junky macrumors 65816

Phone Junky

Pretty simple. You were using an iPhone 4s. A 6 1/2 year old phone that in your words had become "virtually unusable". You seem to be frugal. Buying the least expensive phone at the time might seem like the best deal, but will that iPhone 6 become "virtually unusable" in the near future? It is already 3 1/2 years old. The more expensive choices might cost more, but will be "usable" for a longer period of time, especially since they have more ram.

17. Chazzle macrumors 68000

Chazzle

I understand completely what you are saying, but the 4s is 6.5 years old, which is a massive difference compared to the 3.5 year old 6. If they are happy with the jump in performance and it’s running great on 11.3, it will last them quite awhile and suite their needs just fine. I would have sprung for the 6s, but they will be alright.

18. Phone Junky macrumors 65816

Phone Junky

Yep, big mistake on iPhone 4s age. Duh? Fixed.

19. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

I personally would not have. I would’ve saved my money and bought either a 6S or an SE. Huge difference and jump between those and the regular 6.

Hopefully it will suit your needs and you will be happy though. However, I would probably not upgraded to iOS 12 this fall.

20. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

Why does everyone seem to need to have their choices validated for them by random people on the internet?

21. dumastudetto macrumors 68030

Yes. You are missing out on so much incredible technology in the latest and greatest iPhone devices. Literally everything is a billion times better with iPhone X.

22. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

Just not the fugly camera boil on the back. That needs to be lanced.

23. givemeanapple macrumors Demi-God

givemeanapple

I bought a $10k OLED TV in 2018. Am I crazy?
    What's the point of asking for validation from others online when you consider the price you could afford for something?
    Of course the 6 is outdated in 2018 by a large margin, but if it works for you and you are happy with it, then you're not crazy...

24. rmoliv macrumors 6502a

The 6 is outdated, it doesn't support 3D Touch, 4K recording, the FaceTime camera is only 1,2MP, RAM is 1GB... Upgrade at least to a 7, unless you use your phone mostly to make/receive calls and texting and you don't care much about photo/video quality and those sort of things.

25. Raist3001 macrumors 65816

Raist3001

The only thing crazy is what you paid for the 6 :)
    If you enjoy your purchase, that's all that matters.