I bought a sever and its too loud!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by waloshin, Jul 11, 2009.

1. waloshin macrumors 68040

waloshin

You all can laugh at me , but I bought an Hp Proliant dl 140 server 1u, and its way too loud to have running in my bedroom. I bought it just to play with and use as a server, but its way too loud. And recommendations?

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

3. waloshin thread starter macrumors 68040

waloshin

Well I would ,but I bought it from ebay, and the shipping back would be ridicules.

4. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Uh, it's a server. It's going to be loud. There's nothing you can do about it.

5. waloshin thread starter macrumors 68040

waloshin

Would it be possible to put it into a normal pc case?

6. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Sure. You may have to cut the motherboard in half and then you'll get about 4 minutes of use out of it before it overheats, but you can try that.

7. LizKat macrumors 68030

LizKat

Maybe a large acrylic sound enclosure of the sort used for noisy office equipment... like dot matrix printers back in the day. But you would have to know how much space would be needed for the heat to dissipate from the server inside the enclosure.

8. parapup macrumors 65816

parapup

You should have bought a workstation - HP xw series rocks and they are very quiet and reasonably priced ;)

But now that you have a proliant - all I can suggest is putting it some place away - like in the store room or basement. Just buy a pair of PowerLine Ethernet adapters and configure the Proliant to wake on LAN and you have no need to physically access it any more.

Based on which OS you run - Remote Desktop/VNC/SSH etc. all are your friends.

9. trule macrumors 6502

Its a server, put it in some other room and forgetaboutit.

10. Decrepit macrumors 65816

Decrepit

HP DL servers = Density Line. It's meant to be put in a rack, which means it's in a place where it's ok to be loud and needs good cooling.

They're built to support hot-pluggable hard drives, sometimes multiple power supplies, etc.

If you just want to play, what do you want to play with? The operating systems? You could put them in a virtual machine on your Mac. If you really wanted to play with removable HDDs/PSUs, then you're in the right place. Normally servers want to be somewhere cool. Put it in the basement and run a network cable to it so you can manage it remotely.

If all of that sounds daunting, put it on eBay. If you're looking for something to use as a server, any PC will do. If you want production quality server hardware, you're going to always get very well ventilated servers (which means noisy).

I bought a pile of stuff on eBay for my home networking and VMware lab. And it's practically silent. I've got nearly 16 GHz and 16 GB of memory available in a resource pool between two systems for hosting virtual machines.

If you're interested in getting into system administration and such, and have more questions, drop me a PM.

Side note, which generation DL140 did you get? G1, G2 or G3? (Is it a single Xeon, a hyperthreaded Xeon, or a dual/quad core Xeon?)

11. waloshin thread starter macrumors 68040

waloshin

I would ,but its an apartment that has no basement, storage...

12. Decrepit macrumors 65816

Decrepit

My lab is built from xw workstations. Great call. I'm getting deals on them on eBay that are just ridiculous. :eek:

13. parapup macrumors 65816

parapup

Have you checked the re-manufactured page - I have bought all of mine (3 to be exact) from there and many days there are pretty good deals. Haven't had any problem - could not even figure out they were refurbs.

14. Boneoh macrumors 6502

Boneoh

Noise and heat are the big problems. I used to have a half height enclosed rack in the small closet beneath my staircase. Even with the enclosed case and the closet door closed, the noise would hum throughout the house. I had to add more ventilation as well. I finally got rid of most of the old servers.

I still have an old 1U Dell poweredge from 2001 or so. Just a simple file server. It sits on a shelf in the closet. I covered the top with a blanket, and it cut the noise in half. Need to keep both ends open to let the air flow through. I can't wait to retire this last one, pretty soon.

15. Decrepit macrumors 65816

Decrepit

I buy on eBay for $200 xw workstations. :D

I bought quite a bit from the HP refurb site though as well for other purposes.

16. Captain Awesome macrumors regular

You really don't need a server unless you plan on thousands of requests a day. Just get a regular PC and install FreeBSD.

17. jake.f macrumors 6502

Servers aren't meant to be quiet nor put in someones bedroom.

18. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Severing is normally quite loud, just be sure to put plastic sheets down incase it gets too messy.

19. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

If you have another computer in the house...... use Remote Desktop to access it. Stick the sucker in the garage or a spare bedrooms closet. You will need to run cat5 to it. That is what I did and I don't hear thing from it!

20. Love macrumors 68000

Love

I saw you said you live in an apartment. Are there any closets that could have some space cleared or empty closets in your apartment that you could put the machine in? Have fun with the server. You've got some pretty awesome hardware to play with. Enjoy! :)

21. Heilage macrumors 68030

Heilage

There's an art to making a server silent and possible to be in the same room as, and it never involves anything below 4U. Unless you build a 1U box with very special CPUs and fanless solutions, it's going to be awfully loud.

22. waloshin thread starter macrumors 68040

waloshin

1RU server way too loud

Now I know servers are not supposed to be ran in bedrooms or even homes. So I have a Hp Proliant dl 140 sevrer in my room it sounds like a hair blow dryer. I was wondering if I put ear plugs in at night time would I still loose hearing, or even go deaf? Any suggestions, I would put it in a closet , but the only closet would be the one in the living room and nobody would want to hear the thing all day long. I was also wondering, could I set it up as wakeup on lan? Would it shutdown after the request was done? If not thats alright. It will be running as a webserver for kicks!

23. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

How's that new Dodge of yours? Good?

You really should think a bit more before making a purchase. ;)

24. Decrepit macrumors 65816

Decrepit

Don't put it in a closet, it will overheat.

You can't use WOL for standard network requests. It's best for cases where you say OH CRAP, I chose shutdown instead of restart. You can still log into another machine and start the server remotely.

It's not bad for your hearing, but it's bad for your A/C and electric bills.

I have an interesting idea. Look around town for a company that will co-locate for you. It should be cheap since you're using your server, and you can have them ensure your bandwidth is capped so you don't get squashed with a $75,000 bill the day that Slashdot links to you.

Problem solved. You have it in a server class installation, have full remote access rights, and get to sleep at night. :cool:

25. trySEARCHING macrumors newbie

x2 i recently upgraded my Dell 2600 to a 2900. I think it only got louder. expect your electric bill to make a noticeable jump as well. servers consume a lot of power and generate A LOT of heat. keep that in my when you decide where to store it.