Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wilburpan

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2002
At work I have to interchange MS Word and Excel programs with a lot of other people, and I tend to do my work with iWork instead of MS Office.

The ONLY problem I have had with iWork is that in Numbers (the spreadsheet program), if you make a graph with dates on the X-axis, it won't plot properly.

mrklaw

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2008
how about if you already have iwork on another machine? I have an imac with it on. Will I need another copy on my MBA to view/edit documents? Or can I reinstall the same version on both computers (assuming I only use one or the other at any one time)?

or will something like neo-office let me do basic viewing and editing - I don't want it to mess files up

mrblu

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2007
iWork Pages can't save as anything else

I also bought iWork for my also first time ever Mac. I'm kinda surprised to read so many positive reviews of Pages here. It can't even save a copy which can be read by any other program! Not even AppleWorks! I have to admit that I almost miss the 'Save as' options in Windows...

kkat69

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2007
Atlanta, Ga
I also bought iWork for my also first time ever Mac. I'm kinda surprised to read so many positive reviews of Pages here. It can't even save a copy which can be read by any other program! Not even AppleWorks! I have to admit that I almost miss the 'Save as' options in Windows...

Save as gives the option to save as iWork 05/06 or the default 08.

Export gives 4 basic options, so how is it you can't save a copy read by "any other program"??

I do a lot of my work in iWork at home, save as/export and everyone in the office using MS Office can read it.

True there are some issues when using one suite vs another but you can't say "It can't even save a copy which can be read by any other program!" with accuracy.

mrblu

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2007
Export, huh? I'll check it out. There is so much I don't know...

Thanks for the reply.

Dic

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
ASo eric (or anyone who cares to answer really!), do you think i'd be better off using Pages or TE as my main word processor?

Pages is a much better word processor than textedit. Textedit is fine for making notes and, well, editing text, but it doesn't have nearly the power of a real word processing app, which Pages is.

As for neooffice, I've tried it, but find it kinda slow and buggy. I mean, it's free, so it's pretty great that it's available at all, but IMO you made a very good choice with pages.

Personally, I am stuck with Word because it is the only one I can find that offers a "notebook" view for taking notes, which is really a lot easier than using a blank doc. Well, that, and I already own and am used to Word. :eek:

ltldrummerboy

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2007
Buyer's Remorse after purchasing an Apple product? Never! Really though, you made an excellent purchase. iWork is fantastic. Particularly Pages.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.