I bought the Watch for what happened last night

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Ntombi, Dec 15, 2018.

1. sean000 macrumors 65816

sean000

If your tachycardia presents with no other symptoms, heart-related risk factors, or obvious underlying causes then many doctors probably would tell you not to worry unless it becomes frequent and is noticeable (you feel it even without your watch alerting you). If it is frequent then you should see a doctor willing to take it more seriously. Some years ago I was feeling all kinds of flip flops in my chest as well as occasional tachycardia. My doctor referred me to a cardiologist who had me wear a Holter monitor for a couple of weeks. It did not detect any abnormal rhythms (like AFib), so he said it likely was anxiety. This was during the recession, which was a very stressful time for my family. The fact that I had it checked out by a cardiologist and was reassured helped my anxiety about it tremendously, and I was able to focus on reducing my anxiety knowing that was the likely cause. After another month the episodes stopped. Even though it turned out that I had no heart problems, getting referred to a cardiologist ended up being a positive thing because it helped eliminate the symptoms I was having.

I’m not a doctor, so take this with a grain of salt. Doctors vary in how agressive they are with testing and treatment. My brother is a doctor and he disagrees sometimes with how casually other doctors treat certain types of symptoms or information (he has told certain family members that they need to insist on a test from time to time). That said he will also tell you if he thinks you’re just being anxious and getting worked up for little reason. Doctors don’t just listen to your body. They also take into account your risk factors for certain conditions. The more risk factors you have, the more likely they are to recommend further testing or examination.

Some doctors see devices like the Apple Watch as a positive that helps keep patients engaged with their health, and others see it as a tool for gathering useless metrics in an uncontrolled way that will do more harm than good. They worry it will increase hypochondria and lead to tests and treatments that cause the patient unnecessary pain and anxiety. The reality is that it is likely to do both. Personally I’m glad my doctor is willing to include this type of data in a conversation. That doesn’t mean he will always find it useful, but it might be useful in the future depending on what else is going on with my health. Context is everything.

2. oeagleo macrumors 6502

oeagleo

I think just for shitzengiggles, I'd get a second opinion if that high heartbeat was showing regularly, or at least consistently.

3. Ntombi thread starter macrumors 68040

Ntombi

That would be alarming for me. No one should blindly follow new tech, nor should they dismiss it out of hand. He sounds hidebound against anything he didn’t learn in med school, and that would mean I’d be looking for a new doctor.

I have a medicine-induced heart thing, and if my pulse gets too high (without reason), or I experience palpitations, I’m supposed to take a pill. I can feel the palpitations about 75% of the time, but the high pulse is hit or miss. The watch has really helped me monitor my pulse—which I double-checked manually for the first couple of nights, now I don’t bother, because it’s spot on.

BTW, when the techs are checking my pulse, my Watch is generally within 2 BPM of their result.

4. DontGetTheCheese macrumors regular

There's another price to off-beat heart numbers, your mental health. I have a low resting heart rate, gets into the 40's sometimes during the day. The lowest I've seen was 39, which was at night where lower rates are more normal. I know I'm probably fine, been checked by a cardiologist in fact, but I still have some anxiety over it and it affects the rest of your life.

Anyways, I'd dump the guy. Doctors are disposable, in some areas, and I'd dispose of the guy. While I stand by what I wrote a few months ago, that I think the ECG is a bit of a gimmick, the AW4 is really good a getting the heart rate right. Assuming you are wearing it right, that's off-kilter enough that it's worth getting checked by someone a bit more into the modern world if only for peace of mind.