I bought three...

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by johnbono, May 8, 2019.

1. johnbono macrumors newbie

Powermac G5s today, which I am going to pick up tomorrow:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Untested-3X-Power-Mac-G5-no-hard-drives-they-power-up-they-all-as-is-cheap-2003-/113712576824?_trksid=p2047675.m43663.l10137&nordt=true&rt=nc&orig_cvip=true

I plan on keeping one of these and flipping the other two after I install a hard drive(I have a pair of 170gb drives which I think will work fine, and if I can find a 128G or less SSD, I may use that as well). I looked through the FAQ and didn't see anything about installing the OS from scratch. So, the question is, how do I start? For supporting hardware, I have a Mac Pro running High Sierra. I know I can't install High Sierra on a G5, but I might be able to build boot media or something. So, where do I get started?

2. CooperBox macrumors 65816

CooperBox

You may get lucky with your purchase, but had it been me, I'd have looked around for a known functioning G5 with original OS disk for less or the same amount you paid. Far less risky. But for those who like a challege, hey - why not!
    Please keep us posted on your findings/progress.

3. johnbono thread starter macrumors newbie

The way I figure, unless the cases are completely beat to hell, I should be able to sell them per unit for roughly what I paid. If I can install an OS, those systems are now worth $100 or so, not enough to make a huge profit, but enough to clear my expenses for the trip and give me one left over for myself.

4. johnbono thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, here's the picture of the three. One has a gimpy leg and all of them look like they've been ridden hard and put away wet, but they do all power on. Two of them are single processor machines and one is a dual processor machine. Here are the EasyMac links for the three machines:

https://everymac.com/systems/apple/powermac_g5/specs/powermac_g5_1.8_2.html

https://everymac.com/systems/apple/powermac_g5/specs/powermac_g5_1.8_dp.html

https://everymac.com/systems/apple/powermac_g5/specs/powermac_g5_1.8.html

One machine has bent the tabs that latch the side of the case, and you saw the gimpy machine in the photo. Other than that, just scratches, dirt, and one kinda nasty looking gouge in one of them.

I'm going to vacuum out the interior and I want to get them up and running, so I can see exactly what is installed. I have a pair of SATA drives that I can used to get started. Being a Mac newbie, what do I need to do next to get these critters up and running?

Attached Files:

5. ScreenSavers macrumors regular

ScreenSavers

I'd start by seeing if the work... I work a lot with G5 towers- they are as difficult as any other PowerPC system to work on... but that's the fun of it!

6. timidpimpin macrumors 6502

7. ScreenSavers macrumors regular

ScreenSavers

8. timidpimpin macrumors 6502

9. ScreenSavers macrumors regular

ScreenSavers

I’ve done that myself more than once.

10. ScreenSavers macrumors regular

ScreenSavers

I had an early 2005 PMg5 dual 2.0 I upgraded to 4GB ram. Installed all sorts of professional software and nice stuff. Sold it for $100 last month.

11. timidpimpin macrumors 6502

More than fair. You could have easily got $150-200 IMO.

12. ScreenSavers macrumors regular

ScreenSavers

Maybe so. But I sold it locally and nobody wants a computer that isn’t up to date, regardless of how much us Macrumors members like PowerPC macs.

13. Alex_K macrumors newbie

Alex_K

In the UK, the Power Mac G5s - except perhaps the Quad Core 2.5GHz - are worth very little. I recently picked up a lovely dual core 2.3GHz for around $10 equivalent on ebay (local collection, mind you, so might have got more bids with delivery included). My Quad Core only cost me £40 (about US$50) - again local collection - though have seen Quads go for more than £100. In the UK, you cannot even give away Single cores and below Powermac 2Ghz G5s. Hopefully for you, there's bigger demand in the US.

14. timidpimpin macrumors 6502

It's listed as "used", and mint or not... it's not worth even 10% of what the seller is asking.

15. ScreenSavers macrumors regular

ScreenSavers

Brand new in box it isn't worth half that at this point in time.

16. z970mp macrumors 65816

z970mp

I've found that most things on the market generally are not worth their asking rate.

17. johnbono thread starter macrumors newbie

Good news and bad news. Good news:

Picture 1.png

The single processor G5 is now fully armed and operational running Tiger. The biggest problem was that the superdrive does not really want to open. I swapped it with another one, which also was a bit balky. I blew on it, so a cleaning might be all it needs for long term. I also have an old drive from my Dell that might fit, so I may swap it.

The bad news is that the first dual proc G5 did not boot. The fan spins up, but no image on the screen and the led does not light up. If I pull the internal plastic cover, a red LED lights up on the MB, but that's it. The single proc has every dimm slot occupied. The dual proc one has two banks of dimms, each populated with just one dimm each, if that provides any help.

18. ScreenSavers macrumors regular

ScreenSavers

First of all- use TenFourFox- that version of safari is unusably outdated.

My first guess if it won’t post is bad RAM. Try all different combinations. There might be a PMU reset button in there too, can’t remember.

19. johnbono thread starter macrumors newbie

I shouldn't have any problem pulling RAM off one to put in another, right?

20. ScreenSavers macrumors regular

ScreenSavers

Should be fine. Handle it carefully. It’s very ESD sensitive.

21. pl1984 macrumors 68020

Does the power button LED flash at all? If so what is the pattern?