I broke a key off my MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TheSpaz, Oct 11, 2009.

1. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Well doesn't that just suck?

Poor MacBook Pro. I ordered a replacement key online, but I'm leaving to go to Florida on Wednesday… I hope it comes before I leave or I'm going to be sad.

I hate to see missing keys.

Attached Files:

2. CJS7070 macrumors 6502a

CJS7070

3. kryptonianjorel macrumors 6502

he probably broke the mechanism to hold the key on

4. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Is the key actually broken or has it just come out? If so you might be able to click it back in :D

5. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Yeah, the hinge under it is damaged and it won't hold the key on.

See above.

6. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

First, do you have question or is this just another blog post?
    Second, how did you do that, you're way too OCD for anything like this to actually happen.
    Third, which is worse, a missing key or an image being 1 pixel off? I'm just curious which makes you twitch more.

Oh and helpful: No, I'd bet you won't see the key in the post before Wednesday, today is a holiday for some.

7. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

First, I noticed that it made a clicking sound when I pressed it in. I thought maybe it wasn't snapped in correctly, so I attempted to take the key off (I've taken laptop keys off before, and it didn't bother me to try it) and while I was taking it off, I accidentally snapped 2 little plastic pins on the hinge mechanism underneath. So, now the key won't snap back on.

A missing key would definitely bother me more than a pixel, but they both bother me in different ways.

Also, how is my original post different than someone who dropped their iPhone and posts a picture of the smashed screen? Cut me some slack sometimes... jeeze.

Edit: Also, I think FedEx and UPS are still going to be out today.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Looks like the OP is using macrumors as his blog site, that's all. I understand his point that people post that they just dropped their iphone, but many of them then follow it up with questions or a call for help.

I'm not quite sure what the OP wants. I am curious as to how this occurred.

Spaz, were you working on your keyboard, or did it just pop out on its own, if the latter is the case, call apple. I'm sure they'll repair it.

9. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

It was more of a "I want to show you my poor MacBook Pro with a missing key" than a cry for help. I called a local Mac repair shop and they have the parts to put keys back on Apple laptops and it's only $5, so I'm gonna stop there on my way home from work tonight. Cool! I guess I won't be without a beautiful computer for vacation after all!

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Well that's some good news, so good luck and hopefully works as expected.

11. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

12. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Thanks. The guy at the Mac repair place said that he sees this all the time. Hmmm... I thought I was the only one who goes and rips a key off for no reason. Unless people have very bad kids that like to tear keys off for some reason. They certainly don't just fall off.

Just my 2 cents.

There's actually 2 different types of scissor mechanisms underneath the key for 2 different MacBook Pro revisions. There's the revision A set and the revision B set. I have a revision A style. I hope the repair shop has the revision A style in stock.

13. Jottle macrumors 6502

Hey. Where did you order the replacement key from? As I understand it, apple doesn't sell individual replacement keys, just whole keyboards.

14. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

15. SPNarwhal macrumors 65816

SPNarwhal

wtf

a lot of people make new threads talking about their macbook incidents,
    why are you making a big deal about it?

i'm glad you posted this, thank you for posting this.
    now i know what it looks like when a key pops off.

(i am not being sarcastic.)

16. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Just an update:

I brought my MacBook Pro to my local Apple shop and they didn't have any MacBook Pro Unibody Keys (because they keys are attached directly to the top case), but they did have Plastic MacBook keyboards there and he happened to find a hinge that fit. Sometime during the production of the plastic MacBook they changed the cmd key to have no Apple logo :apple: on it and that's the version that had a compatible key hinge.

Good to know!

17. sparkie7 macrumors 68000

sparkie7

18. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

i dont know about the OP, but for me a missing key on my laptop shows others that i dont take care of my equipment, and i must get it fixed right away because it will bother me like there is no tommorow.

i fix somtimes 2 or 3 macs a day and some come in missing like 3 keys....its sad the poor laptop takes a beating from its owner, yet they wonder why it will not work properly.

50% of macs i have fixed have cosmetic issues or have been damaged by their owners.

19. sparkie7 macrumors 68000

sparkie7

They need counseling. Is there a MAA? (Mac Abuser Anonymous)

20. asiankid macrumors newbie

Question: to TheSpaz

I heard that you used to play Cod 4 on your Mac OS X...with a cheat :)
    I was wondering if you can tell me how to do it? Haha sorry if you hear this all the time, but i just got all my data erased, and am pretty pissed...so thank you in advance!

21. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

It's not really a cheat. You download someone elses 55-Rank profile and insert your game serial number into it. It's pretty complicated though. Search for instructions online because I'm not even sure I remember how to do it.

22. AaronX macrumors member

I'm probably more OCD than you are, and I'm glad this thread is here to show that there is hope in fixing MBPs.
    How did you prise the key out? There doesn't seem to be any gap between the key and the body. Also, I thought the key is bigger than the hole - sort of like calculator keys - so you can't remove it through the top of the keyboard.

23. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

Perfectly said! Broken bits to me is a sign that people don't take care of equipment.

24. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

The key is smaller than the hole and there is a gap all the way around it. The key is only held on by a tiny plastic hinge mechanism. Thank goodness I didn't damage the actual body of the MacBook Pro and instead only broke the little plastic hinge.