I broke my MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ktalebian, Jan 11, 2008.

1. ktalebian macrumors regular

Hi!
    today my Macbook Pro fell, and the screen broke! I brought the laptop less than 2 weeks ago!
    Is there anyway I can fix it using the warranty? I have 4 year extension warranty from Future Shop, and I have the Apple Warranty as well!
    I want to format the computer (i can connect it to the TV) and then say that I just opened the computer (saying that I was on a trip!) and it was like that!
    Any ideas?

PLEASE!
    Also, how much would it cost to fix it? It's a MacBook Pro 15".

Thanks

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Accidental damage will not be covered under Apple's warranty, but check Future Shop's terms.

Depending on how extensive the damage, your looking at a very expensive repair if it's not covered. :(

3. ktalebian thread starter macrumors regular

Let's say that I need to completely replace the screen

4. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

$850 parts and labor for the new LED screen

www.dttservice.com

5. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

if you bought it on a credit card, then check there terms. Some have a buyers protection that covers accidents like this for a short time.

Good luck!

6. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

OK, you didn't need to create three separate threads.

The one (now deleted) in the correct forum was the one I replied to:

7. ktalebian thread starter macrumors regular

Alright thanks!
    Yeah I bought the laptops less than 2 weeks!
    So $850 if I have to replace it?
    And how do I check the Visa thing?

8. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

You can check the terms that came with your credit card, or simply call the toll-free phone number.

9. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Call your Visa bank? There's an 800 number on the back of the card for customer service.

C'mon, do a bit of independent thought here...

10. hayduke macrumors 65816

hayduke

Just ask your mom to call Visa for you.

11. ktalebian thread starter macrumors regular

Alright thanks!
    But, what is the cost now? Could it be just the plastic screen on it that is broken?

12. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

That we cannot tell - it would need a proper diagnostic.

Chances are, if the screen isn't working you're looking at a ~$900 repair.

13. wasimyaqoob macrumors 6502a

If you used an Amex Platinum Charge Card, I know they offer a short-term period which covers you against stuff like this because I've used it in the past.

However... if not - You WILL have to replace the whole screen which is going to be VERY Expensive, however $850 which is about £400 isnt alot to be honest!

14. gazfocus macrumors 68000

gazfocus

Why don't you have a look on ebay? In the UK, you can buy a replacement Macbook pro screen on eBay for £175 (around $350).

Obviously, I don't know where you're from, but how about this? At $195 for a new screen, it could be the cheapest and easiest option.

15. ktalebian thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks all for the help.
    So Futureshop and Apple both said they would not cover anything. Apple also said they will charge $1300 freaking dollars to fix it!
    I called the Visa company (I bought it with a Platinum Card), and they said, that they do have that sort of policy, but that they need 30 business days to look into it and see if they can cover it (Now what the hell is that for? I mean it is either yes or no! Why look into it?! What is the probability that they will cover it?)
    Also, someone told me that I can use my house insurance because the incident happened in my house and it was a sudden incident, and not a gradual one.
    Anything on that?!

Thanks again

16. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

You have to be very technically proficient to replace the LCD in a laptop. Unfortunately, based on the questions the OP asked, the OP probably do not have the skill, knowledge, and equipment to perform LCD replacement.

17. ktalebian thread starter macrumors regular

Mine is actually LED Screen.
    If I get those screens, I'll give it to Futureshop, and pay them to replace it!
    but one thing, are these screens the same as the old ones? Or are they designed by some weird company?

18. digitalnicotine macrumors 65816

digitalnicotine

Call your homeowners insurance company on Monday, and see what they can do. If nothing, then sending it in for repairs, and paying the full cost would be a better solution than purchasing a screen at auction that you're not absolutely sure is the right screen for your machine.

Worst case scenario, perhaps you could connect it to an external monitor (if the machine is not also damaged), and yes, I realize this may defeat the reasons you purchased a laptop in the first place. Good luck to you.

19. ktalebian thread starter macrumors regular

I found some websites around that will sell brand new, manufactured screen, with warranty. I think I'll buy that, and have it installed. (the screen costs $300 ish)

20. Jeremy1026 macrumors 68020

Jeremy1026

Try Apple, they replaced iPods of mine (out of warrenty) that had cracked screens. They are very good with customer service. Can't hurt to ask.

21. minutePulsation macrumors member

minutePulsation

If you REALLY care about the thing, then have it repaired by an authorized apple tech just for warranty sake

22. Scorch07 macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3B48b Safari/419.3)

LED screens are LCD screens, its just a different type of backlighting. Either way, I definitely say get it fixed right.

23. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

If the screen is visibly cracked no warranty will cover that. If the screen just doesn't work than you can give it back to FS (you have 14 days to do so). Good luck.

24. Megatron macrumors regular

That would be a blatant lie. Whatever happened to personal integrity?

25. robanga macrumors 68000

robanga

First sorry for your accident. Doubly sorry it was something so new and something so great as your MBP.

The poster above is right though. Without integrity you have nothing. Lying to save yourself money is not right ever, this is not some heartless corporation. Little old ladies have Apple stock in their retirement plans and you'd be taking their money too. In the long run you reduce profitability for Apple and that raises prices for all of us.

Do the right thing. Check the credit card, get it repaired or even ask Apple for mercy on the mistake. All are better options.