I cannot stand the pixel doubling on the retina!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by curtisvadnais, Dec 21, 2012.

1. curtisvadnais macrumors newbie

I just purchased my Retina 15" a few days ago. Dropping the extra $1,000, I thought it'd be worth it. Clearly I was wrong. I thought it would be worth it knowing Photoshop was officially Retina optimized (not ENTIRELY, cursors & gradient preset examples are very pixelated), it was an IPS panel which helps significantly with color banding and better color reproduction, but I don't think this is worth it. Where everything looks half better, the other half looks a lot worse. I couldn't stand the color banding on my 15" MBP due to being a graphic/web designer, but having everything pixel doubled is just annoying. I realize half the apps are not optimized for this display, but not ALL developers will update their apps. I doubt that GoDaddy.com will be Retina optimized ever and all the little websites I use. YouTube looks extremely blurry as well as other videos using Flash. Even iTunes and GarageBand aren't updated and this model has been out for half a year. I think I can deal with the slight color banding and non-crystal sharp text on my previous MBP if that means no more pixel doubling and a pleasant web experience. At least I will be able to download an app without fear of seeing blurry and pixelated images since I know everything will be displayed at a 1:1 ratio. I'm just not sure what to do. I have till January 3rd to return this. What are your thoughts?

2. Hexley macrumors 6502a

3. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

4. torana355 macrumors 68020

That is why im not interested in a retina display just yet, the tech is ahead of its time imo.

5. curtisvadnais thread starter macrumors newbie

Hahah, that will be $3,002, please. :D

6. treyjustice macrumors 65816

treyjustice

You probably should have researched a bit more or went in store and looked before you bought it. If it isn't going to work for you I'd return it. Eventually most apps will work with retina. It just won't be there for a while.

7. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

I would never pay that much for a laptop, and I am a designer.

Why don't you return it and get the 256GB SSD/16GB RAM BTO from Online? It'll be around $2200. Maybe you will complain less if you save $800 :D

8. Rhinoevans macrumors 6502

Another validation reason for my cMBP purchase, not that I needed one. Very happy with my 2012 non retina MBP. Thank you

9. noiseordinance macrumors regular

All I can say is "cool story bro." And seriously, as a previous person says, who cares about Godaddy's hosting? This is just like the jump from SD to HDTV. Not everything is supported, but very soon it will be. Until then, you are paying a high price for bleeding edge technology.

10. akdj macrumors 65816

akdj

Isn't it closer to about a 3/$400 premium? Certainly not $1000 difference when you equip both with the SSD, correct? As someone mentioned, for what you're doing... You'd easily get away with the base 256/16 (even 8 is more than fine and will be for quote some time!--contrary to what you often hear 'round these parts;))

...as for ky thoughts? Essentially the complete opposite of yours, 180° difference. I've owned computers since 1986 and my rMBP is the best computer I've ever bad the pleasure of owning and using. I find it an absolute pleasure to 'go to work' these days as I, too, pay my bills with my computer. As far as app optimization, patience man!! I'm actually quite surprised how 'fast' they've been coming. More than half the CS6 suite is optimized. Not sure about your PS complaints, mine looks awesome...Premier and AE are awesome as well--a windowed, pixel perfect 1080p canvas. Just awesome! It's only 6 months old and even Microsoft had updated Office to a very acceptable Retina UI.

Yeah...totally the opposite. I love this computer. Kinda cool to play all the modern games too;). I hadn't 'gamed' since Diablo I. I've since loaded up Diablo III, XPlane 9&10 and a Windows partition with FSX.

Chrome and Safari look brilliant. If your a Firefox guy, the current 'nightly' is retina compliant.

Patience young buck! It's only gonna get much, much better! As Apple continues to learn and work with graphics processing, intel continues to innovate CPU technology, and these display makers continue to refine the IPS process...computing will only get better, and the REAL developers WILL comply with HiDPi/Retina standards...and Windows manufacturers won't be far behind! Keep an eye out at CES this year...I'll bet Sony, Asus, Samsung et al will have HiDPI monitors themselves....whether in a laptop or stand alone monitor, the days of low resolution monitors are numbered.

Go Daddy? Really??? Come on man! :)

Jer

11. nontroppo macrumors 6502

nontroppo

Pixel-doubled resolution for non-optimized apps is identical to your old macbook[1], why on earth are you complaining about something that was perfectly acceptable the day before you bought your rMBP? Possibly you are confusing app scaling and the techniques HTML rendering engines use to to interpolate web images?

Others who consider a technically misinformed rant as "validation" for their purchase: amusing! :rolleyes:

----
    [1] actually it is technically "superior" due to less physical aberration as retina pixels are more uniform than non-retina pixels (both edge artifacts and inter-scanline gaps). The pixel buffer however is identical.

12. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Find the best deal you can on a 2011 17" and then upgrade the ram and ssd yourself for a relative pittance. Same goes for a 2011/2012 15" with the optional HD display.

You'll have a machine you can use comfortably until they get the retina IR/UI lag issues resolved. By the time you need another setup, the retina may become standard fare and the price may drop.

13. Ploki macrumors 68020

How do webpages know if you are running HiDPI or 1:1?

14. GolferChris68 macrumors newbie

Looks great to me...

I have very good eyesight, and am very discerning when it comes to displays. My retina display looks great. YouTube and Hulu look great. Photos look outstanding in Safari. Text, of course, is so clear and sharp. I do some photo editing, watch videos, and do software development, and really love the display. Very easy on the eyes. iTunes, and other Apple software also look great. Maybe the original poster has a defective unit? Because based on what I see with daily usage, the display is amazing.

15. Valkyre macrumors 6502

i could actually except to hear complaints about the rmbp for a lot of its components but i would have never thought that someone would say he is disappointed with the quality of the display and how it looks. (yes I know the image retention issue that is something else thought, not the same as this)

In short I think the display is the best damn thing to ever happen for this machine.

16. snaky69 macrumors 603

Leave feedback to respective software developers, and return the machine?

17. Livewings macrumors regular

iTunes is not updated?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad:

18. leman macrumors 604

Well, in the worst case the images on the rMBP look more or less the same as on a non-retina MBP... actually, they can look slightly better due to the IPS screen on the retina model. In another words, its not that non-HiDPI stuff looks worse on the rMBP, it is simply the HiDPI content (e.g. UI and text) that looks much better. I can understand that a photo professional would find it very irritating to 'mix' the 'normal' content and the HiDPI content on the same display, as these people are specifically trained to find errors/discrepancies in the image...

----------

iTunes has been retina-ready as long as I remember using the rMBP.

19. curtisvadnais thread starter macrumors newbie

No, just like GarageBand, iTunes 11 at least is not completely optimized for Retina. Just the text.

20. Rufuss Sewell macrumors 6502

I'm mostly annoyed that Apple hasn't updated Logic Pro for the retina display. All of Apple's software should have been ready to show off on launch day. That's what will inspire and spur competition for other developers to catch up.

Other than that, I REALLY love my rMBP. The biggest thing is the text rendering. Most text, video and pictures render in HiDPI even if the app it's self isn't upgraded. I can put up with the occasional crappy double pixel graphics in exchange for the super crisp text.

It's really difficult for me to look at non retina screens these days.

Btw, I have never experienced the laggy UI thing. I'm not sure why. It happened on a demo model at the store. Safari was really choppy. But my own has been flawless.

A solution for the OP is to maybe have a good external screen to go between. At home only of course.

21. curtisvadnais thread starter macrumors newbie

How can YouTube and Hulu look even the slightest bit HD when Flash doesn't support HIDPI yet?

----------

Already addressed.

----------

I disagree. I would rather have no so crystal clear, but still legible text than crappy and blurry graphics as if I'm looking on a mobile device. I'm a designer & graphics is a huge part of what I deal with. Not being able to see the picture for what it really is truly a problem, And furthermore, in an application, makes everything look exceptionally worse.

----------

Apple's hi-res screens show significant color banding, not good.

----------

Cursors/brush outlines/gradient presets especially are not optimized for Retina in Photoshop. Not sure if Adobe is aware of this, but it is something I realized as soon as I started to create a graphic.

22. GolferChris68 macrumors newbie

23. bill-p macrumors 65832

Huh... what!?

GarageBand I can agree with... but iTunes 11?

Check your Album Art resolution again.

Did you check to make sure Youtube was playing HD?

Flash under both Windows and OSX has supported HiDPI since version 11.5.

[​IMG]

Did you get update 13.0.2? Adobe just pushed out update 13.0.3.

If you're a Cloud user, then it's update 13.1.

It sounds to me like you have a lot of software updates to download...

Either that or you need to check if the computer you have right there is a Retina MacBook. All icons and graphics under Photoshop CS6 are Retina-sized (2X) as far as I can see. Or please feel free to take a screen cap and point out to us which part of Photoshop you think is not Retina-sized.

24. curtisvadnais thread starter macrumors newbie

13.0.3. Unfortunately, it doesn't snap the cursors under screenshot. Just choose any brush, enlarge it, or go to the gradient tool. The "+" is very pixelated, as well as the gradient examples in the "Editor" panel.

No, iTunes 11 artwork in the dropdown is still very much pixel-y, refer to here.
    [​IMG]

25. leman macrumors 604

Could you name some examples? I am not able to find a single non-HiDPI element in the iTunes 11 (unless you speak of album cover graphics of course).