I can't believe it is true... Dead pixel on my 3-week-old MacBook Pro.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by VincentPun, Apr 19, 2008.

1. VincentPun macrumors member

Today I spotted a dead pixel on my 3-week-old HR 17" MacBook Pro. I can't believe it is true... What can I do.......?

2. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

Where is it and is it dead (black) or stuck (red, green, blue, white)?

If it's one pixel and it's not in the middle you will survive. Trust me.

3. VincentPun thread starter macrumors member

Well, it looks like black but when I look close it looks like blue.

Also, It's not in the middle.

4. myuserid08 macrumors 6502

5. Tom Sawyer macrumors 6502a

Tom Sawyer

I don't know if you would want to try this or not, but I have read that 'sometimes' one can 'massage' out a dead pixel, wake it from the dead so to speak.

Here is one how-to I've found on it Fix a dead pixel

I tried this on my 24" Al iMac and it didn't work, the screen is so HARD! :D

6. Tom Sawyer macrumors 6502a

Tom Sawyer

LOL! I think we were typing our reply's at the exact same time!

Great minds right? ;)

7. VincentPun thread starter macrumors member

8. Tom Sawyer macrumors 6502a

Tom Sawyer

My bet is no... generally you have to have a number (7+) dead pixels for a manufacturer to agree to address it. Most manufacturers have a "dead pixel" policy and I'm sure Apple does somewhere as well.

Here is a pretty informative thread: Apple Dead Pixel Policy

9. myuserid08 macrumors 6502

I win :p
    If your username is your real name, we both have the same name, how creepy is that?
    I'm off before something happens!

10. Tom Sawyer macrumors 6502a

Tom Sawyer

Indeed you did... 2 funny!

Nope... Just my handle, big Rush fan, so you officially have the coolest real name! :D

11. VincentPun thread starter macrumors member

I think it is stuck in blue. Let me try to fix it.

12. anirban macrumors 6502a

anirban

+1

If you only have 1 dead/stuck pixel, it doesn't warrant a replacement in terms of Apple. And IMHO, I don't think just 1 bad pixel would be annoying. I can live with that.

13. wallaby macrumors 6502

wallaby

It is kind of a kill-joy though, especially on a new computer and even more so from Apple, whose alma-mater for the past decade has been "quality-built" (commence chuckling). I also had a stuck pixel on my new MBP that I discovered about a month after I got it; I tried the massage techniques and while they worked to get rid of it, it was only temporary and would show up again after awhile. Eventually I just got to the point where I would wipe my finger across the screen where it showed up to get rid of it anytime it popped up.

Interestingly enough, I rarely see it anymore, and in fact have not seen it pop up in a long time. This is about 8 months after buying the laptop, and I'm not really sure what made it go away. Since it's unlikely Apple will replace the OP's MBP, I would advise either (carefully) trying the techniques at massaging a dead pixel, or just try to ignore it for awhile and hope it works itself out. If it's a stuck pixel, it may eventually go away. If it's actually dead (black, not stuck on a color), then you're SOL.

14. VincentPun thread starter macrumors member

The massage method didn't work or me.

Are there any ways left? :(

15. deadpixels macrumors 6502a

deadpixels

here try the video part, good luck.

16. nick9191 macrumors 68040

The massage thing only works if its stuck, not dead.

17. VincentPun thread starter macrumors member

I believe it is a stuck pixel. It appears to be blue.

18. VincentPun thread starter macrumors member

:( The video link is dead.

19. LovieBear macrumors newbie

i got my new mac book pro in the mail this past thursday and when i booted it up the first thing i noticed was a bad pixel, it was just one at the top center of my screen but i am sort of a perfectionist. i took it in to an apple store and they suggested i send it back and that i would receive a new one which is what i ended up doing. i wish i would have seen this thread a day earlier as i believe the pixel was reddish, i would have tried the massage trick but too late for me now, i have to wait a whole week again.:( But i only had bad pixel and did not even question me about exchanging it for me, both at the apple store and on the apple care hotline

20. jaredisme macrumors newbie

Honestly, if I were you I would just wait a week or two before you do anything. I had a dead pixel on my iMac once and it completely went away after a week.

21. neal.yng macrumors newbie

Did you buy it from the Apple Store? If you did, then just bring it back and ask them. When i bought my MBP, i specifically asked the guy if he would replace the computer if there were any dead/stuck pixels, and he said that they would, so you should at least try.

22. MacMedic macrumors member

MacMedic

dead pixel policy...

I had one replaced by apple - it actually had 4 stuck pixels - and as I recall, when I called apple they said the threshold was 3. Mine was almost as new as yours, so they replaced it just on the basis that I wasn't satisfied... 14 day satisfaction guarantee.
    My replacement then did the same thing... I forget just how many it was - but I was able to massage them back to life, and no problems since. It's been about 6 months.

23. MacMedic macrumors member

MacMedic

be aware, that what often looks like one stuck pixel might actually be 4. That was my experience. Check closely... one stuck pixel might be not too bad to look at - but 4 is a different story.

24. MacMedic macrumors member

MacMedic

they'll replace it...

contrary to the above post, I'm sure they'll replace it if it is indeed under 2 weeks old. Shouldn't be a problem.

25. orpheus1120 macrumors 65816

orpheus1120

Provided it's within 14 days. Anything more you need to do some sweet talking and hopefully the lady over the phone will be charmed. ;)