I can't delete any files on my external!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Get Real, Sep 2, 2011.

1. Get Real macrumors newbie

I'm a new Mac user... so I don't know if i'm doing something wrong or what's going on.. I plugged in my hard drive which had files backed from my previous computer system.. I wanted to put some of them ( such as music) onto my Mac... & I'm able to copy anything from it but when i try to right click and delete.. the option is not there or when i try to move any file to the trash.. the errors reads: " Can't delete the file as it cannot be deleted" What should I do???

2. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

It sounds like it's formatted as NTFS. That would be common if the drive were previously used on a PC.

OS-X only has read access natively (there are 3rd party solutions that will allow read/write access).

3. Chazn macrumors regular

Tuxera NTFS

What you need there is to download and install Tuxera NTFS.

I had the same problem as what you had before but that program I mentioned above has fixed it for me. The only downside is that you need to pay for that program if you want to be able to use it after 15 days (Trial period 15days).

...There is however a work around to getting that program completely free but I'm afraid I am barred from going into that in greater detail here on this site since that 'method' is not exactly legal. *wink**wink* *hint*

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

NTFS (Windows NT File System)
    • Read/Write NTFS from native Windows.
    • Read only NTFS from native Mac OS X
      [*]To Read/Write/Format NTFS from Mac OS X, here are some alternatives:
      • For Mac OS X 10.4 or later (32 or 64-bit), install Paragon (approx $20) (Best Choice for Lion)
      • For 32-bit Mac OS X, install NTFS-3G for Mac OS X (free) (does not work in 64-bit mode)
      • For 64-bit Snow Leopard, read this: MacFUSE for 64-bit Snow Leopard
      • Some have reported problems using Tuxera (approx $36).
      • Native NTFS support can be enabled in Snow Leopard and Lion, but is not advisable, due to instability.
    • AirPort Extreme (802.11n) and Time Capsule do not support NTFS
    • Maximum file size: 16 TB
    • Maximum volume size: 256TB

5. Get Real thread starter macrumors newbie

Reformat

Yes, I used the hard drive with a Pc before...I'm thinking of just copying everything on my hard drive to my mac and then reformatting the drive according to Mac.. is that possible?

6. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

That sounds like a good plan--probably what I would do too. Yes, once you get the files copied, just format the external as MAC OS Extended (Journaled)

7. Get Real thread starter macrumors newbie

8. btaniguchi macrumors newbie

hdd won't recognize that i've deleted files

I can write to the drive without any problem, but when i go to delete something, it doesn't recognize that it's gone. since it's not recognizing that, it's still taking up space on the drive.

would tuxera ntfs help to fix this? or do i need to reformat or do something else?

i'd prefer not to have to reformat since it would require me to transfer over everything i didn't want to lose and then transfer it back.

thanks.

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Do you empty the trash before you disconnect the external drive?