I can't sleep! :(

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by phas3, Dec 20, 2010.

1. phas3 macrumors 65816

I've been studying for my philosophy final for tomorrow now that its time to get some rest and wake up again at 5...i can't sleep...should I just hack it out and stay up, my final is at 8 am.

2. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

try going to bed without any electronic devices, and definitely get off of Macrumors as it won't help you sleep.

3. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

This.

4. TSE macrumors 68030

Ah, the good ole' I can't sleep thread. I made a couple of these before I was educated on sleep.

First things first, if you don't do any physical activity throughout the day, you are going to have a hard time sleeping.

Next, electronic devices. This is where most people fail. Most people think "Eh... I'm going to play a couple video games before I head off to bed." Do not do that! It's been proven that video games, computer, etc. increases brain function that takes quite awhile to settle down, causing people to stay up. TV is fine in my opinion since you don't use your brain when you watch it. My general rule is no electronics 2 hours before sleep.

Next, this is a really dumb one but you'd be surprised how many people do this. No caffeine or other stimulants.

And... this is what my doctor told me. If you can't fall asleep, count sheep in your head. If you can't fall asleep within 20 minutes, get up, walk around, get a glass of water, go pee, grab something to eat that's simple (grapes or something), and then go back to bed.

If you are nervous, that is another story. Just try to stay calm and relax. Easier said then done. Just get up, go in your living room where you feel the most comfortable, sit down comfortably, close your eyes, breathe in slowly, exhale slowly and forget all your troubles. forget everything for 5 minutes.

When you feel ready, open your eyes and head off back to bed. :)

5. Disc Golfer macrumors 6502a

6. phas3 thread starter macrumors 65816

I fell asleep after making this thread lol, but I did turn off itunes which helped and had a glass of water. Two hours of sleep, now I'm up again ready to study for a couple more hours.

7. macdim macrumors 6502

I find a cup of hot tea actually makes me sleepy.

And also, I thought I read or was taught in some metabolism class that eating before bed is a bad idea. When I was in uni I used to snack a LOT at night to keep me awake. Worked really well.

Bingo.

8. TSE macrumors 68030

Eating till you are full is a bad idea. Eating just so that you aren't hungry is what I meant. There is nothing harder to do than to sleep while hungry.

9. Synchromesh macrumors 6502a

Synchromesh

On occasion I've been using a shot of whiskey or some other strong liquor as a relaxation helper. No need to get zonked, just 1 shot helps me calm down and fall sleep. Of course if you're underaged this is definitely not the way to go. :)

10. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

actually works faster if you are underaged ... zzz :cool:

11. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

My Grandmother took a shot-glass of Crown Royal every night, before bed.

She lived to a ripe old age. :D

12. Gregg2 macrumors 603

That works for me. I don't do the snack. I'll just sit in a dark room for awhile. I do get bored and pick up an electronic solitaire game. That probably doesn't help. But, if you've got a serious insomnia problem, see a doctor.

13. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

This.

More than 3 days without sleep is unhealthy.

If this occurs, ask for a script of Lorazepam, or equivalent.

Take it about 9, and allow 8 hours for the sleep to follow.

14. Eldiablojoe macrumors 6502a

Eldiablojoe

15. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

That wakes me up even more... :eek:

16. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

No, any sleep is better than staying up all night. If you do that you'll be exhausted and you'll make silly mistakes.

Generally I find that doing something that bores me and relaxes me makes me tired even faster. You could read a boring book, watch an old movie (that works for my wife, not me as I love TCM), take a hot shower.

If you're still having issues, put some clothes on and take a short run, do some exercises, go to the gym for a short while (if you're close or on campus). I only had to do that a few times before finals.

17. wvuwhat macrumors 65816

wvuwhat

I feel your pain. Me, personally, if I go to bed before midnight I'm up at 3AM like clockwork.

However, if I go to bed after Midnight, I sleep til' my alarm goes off (including after 3pm in college).

My Dr. tried to prescribe me Ambien in college and I flat out said "no." My ex was a sorority girl and 2 of her "sisters" took Ambien and both had more than a few nights where they had no recollection of driving and/or walking somewhere far away. I'd much rather deal with not sleeping as opposed to getting in an accident while I'm driving without any knowledge of driving or walking.

18. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Not afraid to admit it, this sent me to sleep twice before an early two bird final exam (as in 7:30AM)....:eek::D

It worked... also the fact I was pretty tired...