I can't wait much longer for a redesign!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by NewGenAdam, Jul 2, 2008.

1. NewGenAdam macrumors 6502

I have the facts, sorry the speculation, and I'm expecting a nice redesigned MacBook to hit the decks sometime soon, probably before October and Q4.
    But as much as I know that waiting for a redesign will mean I have a better MacBook, I am SO tempted to pick up a BlackBook NOW!

I'm sure more people are in this predicament...
    I'm going to try to wait it out; if you are too, I'm supporting you all the way! I feel that patience will pay off.

2. Harrison486 macrumors newbie

I understand what you are going through.

I will be needing a new laptop when school starts August 1st and I want a macbook (my first mac) to be that laptop! I just hope an update comes sometime before late July...

3. Shackler macrumors 6502a

Shackler

I have given up on waiting and will probably take the plunge on my first mac on saturday. Waiting for an update that may not come and have to potentially face Rev. A problems isnt worth it for me. I want LED screens, Alu. Montevina and i dont think an update like that will happen during the summer as a silent update.

4. Harrison486 macrumors newbie

Ignorant question, I know, but...

Are Rev. A macs known to have a lot of issues?

5. urbanskywalker macrumors 6502

They fall apart as soon as they leave the store:)

6. Shackler macrumors 6502a

Shackler

I'm sure he is joking about the falling apart. But usually since it is new technology it has some unresolved bugs when it hits the mass markets so you will see a lot of common problems in the product until they resolve the problem and ship out a revision. So Macs do have issues when the first batch is shipped.

7. Harrison486 macrumors newbie

Enough to make it not worth buying a Rev. A?

8. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

It's sad that all the average consumers are screaming for a redesign now based on a pre-penryn rumor that wasn't that good to begin with. Just like the mockups that went with it.

If the OP can't wait then buy now, then update to a new machine with a new design two years from now or when they actually come out.

Just having an issue like this kinda shows that you might not really need a machine to begin with. And honestly, there is nothing wrong with the current Mac Book design except for the lack of dedicated GFX since the case is too small.

Most MBP users want the Mac Book case features over on their side of the camp... sans that square keyboard.

9. NewGenAdam thread starter macrumors 6502

Of course I don't NEED the machine...
    No one NEEDS a computer - it's not like users would suddenly die if deprived of their precious computers!

But I want one. And spending up to £1000 = $2000 is considerable for me, so I want to be sure I'm getting what I want, and that it will last.
    So I hope you can understand that I'd be interested in waiting to see what a redesign had to offer, before plumping down a grand on a several year purchase.

Quick n00b question: are all Rev A glitches/faults/problems covered by the guarantee? If so, then buying Rev A wouldn't bother me at all.
    Oh, and didn't MacBook Air Rev A have no problems?

THE ETERNAL (seemingly) DILEMMA!

10. smartaleck macrumors newbie

Probably stating the obvious, but don't get so caught up in the Apple marketing department's paradigm of new product mania. I know that is the point of this site to foster that sort of irrational consumerist exhuberance, but even a new macbook in six months will be an old macbook three months after that, and you'll be drooling over the next iteration.

If you like a black macbook, buy it. The new one isn't going to forever satiate your desire for "new". Writing an email in a computer that is three months or nine months old isn't going to feel different or lead to profound revelations...

11. macworkerbee macrumors 6502

Look, waiting for the new Rev of the macbook isn't going to make your computer last that much longer in the grand scheme of things. If you have a purpose for the current macbook, you should just buy one now and be happy. An entire summer is a long time to wait on a few rumors.

12. bear1973 macrumors member

Rev A Problems

My Rev A Powerbook G4 Al, which I got in August 2003 and am still using, had lots of problems with the keyboard and screen. And what burned me up most was that the Apple techs would never admit that they heard of the problems - they quite clearly lied on the phone, and getting it fixed was a pain. Thousands of people were complaining of the same problem, but not a single Apple tech I talked with had heard of it. My guess is they were told to play dumb. Anyway, I was profoundly disappointed with Apple, even though it eventually - after four months, three returns - gave me a new laptop.

13. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

Some people need computers. Computers are tools just like a hammer and nails to a carpenter, so there is a NEED for one. A lot needed a MBP and got them when the Penryn chips came out simply because the old C2Ds were getting long in the tooth and only having 2GB of RAM was killing render time. There was a need.

Now for the Rev A questions, yes, problems may exist but they may exist for the Rev B and C products too. The Apple Techs won't be playing dumb, they will either be dumb or not but they will fix the problem if there truly is one, or send you a new machine.

If you need to work on a computer now, then get one now and upgrade later when you can get a real improvement over an upgrade, (don't just buy one 6 months from now because you feel like it).

OR

Wait for it and be patient.

It's quite simple really.

14. Shackler macrumors 6502a

Shackler

Yes they are covered. i think the Rev a MBA had overheating issues and maybe a battery problem not sure.

15. ki2594 macrumors 6502a

my dads MBA does heat up when used too much on like the left side of the computer (on the bottom).

Back to this thread itself, i have a Penryn MacBook which i've had for 4 months now. I expect it to last me at least 4 years (so through H.S), and all in all the case isn't bad at all. Many don't buy the MacBook due to the plastic case but overall its quite durable. At least, in some cases when it gets really cold, it doesn't bend like MBP's sometimes do due to the aluminum. Whoever said it won't make your work longer if you wait for the new rev is right. Its still going to get you about the same amount of good years. Again, if you HAVE to have an LED screen, a backlit keyboard (which they might not even put it), and maybe a LITTLE more power, then go ahead and wait...i would just buy it now. Best machine i've ever owned.

16. dpgetman macrumors newbie

Different take

Forgive a stupid question, but I was wondering about the effect the new macbook design would have on the price and availability of the current macbooks. I also have been thinking of picking up the black macbook, but have been waiting for the deal, such as the free ipod that just became available. Are better deals on the way, any past experience out there?

17. citron230 macrumors 6502a

citron230

the way i look at it, if you wait long enough you will get an updated design or faster processors, but a refresh is still around the corner no matter what.

18. JCT macrumors 6502

My son is in the same boat as you guys--- I promised him a new Macbook for High School since he has been using a hand-me-down iBook for the past 2 years.

He's actually driving me nuts to get his new one, but I keep hoping that there will be a refresh with a better screen, can't make him wait forever, though, but whatever he gets has to last for 4 years...

JT

19. ki2594 macrumors 6502a

Yup, like i said, i'm going into H.S now and i strongly believe it will last me through H.S. If it starts slowing down a little bit as the 4 years progress, ill just fresh install OS X or better, pop in 4GB of ram :D. My sister's iBook G4 is going strong now after i up'd the ram to 1.25GB and stuck leopard on it. Should last her this last senior year, maybe even her first year of uni.

20. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

Not stupid at all, and many people do wait for a new model to come out so they can get the current stuff refurbished. A lot of Santa Rosa users went that route, shaving off $500 or so from the base price, and some picked up a Black Book for $1200 or so.

21. xlii macrumors 68000

xlii

I was in the same boat as you... two years ago. We waited... my daughter went off to college with her 4 year old iBook. The new MBP's came out in late October... now half way through college her MBP is still good enough and will carry her through the next 2 years.

Apple will update both the MBP and the MacBooks sometime before Christmas... it's my understanding that Intel has slipped the new chipset a month or two... just tell your son to hang on... when the new machine comes out you will get him one and he will be glad he waited that extra time.

22. dpgetman macrumors newbie

On that note, are the current refurbished black macbooks the same product as the new ones? There are codes assigned to these books that I imagine differentiate very similar designs from one another, but I am relatively in the dark.

23. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

There are some Penryn refurbs on there every once in a while, but you'll have to get them quick. Check the hardware specs to make sure they are the current ones or the previous models.

The best way to buy from Apple is refurbished, since they offer the same warranty coverage and Apple care but slice the price 15%, with a student discount which gives 10% off, or on someone else's dime which means all you pay for is the RAM or APPCARE or nothing at all.

24. carson44 macrumors member

I feel your pain. i was going through the same thing but i gave in today when i was at the apple store. just bought my new 2.4 macbook!!!!! no regrets whats so ever!!