I couldnt wait any longer.. went with Vista

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by BestBuyBoy, May 1, 2007.

1. BestBuyBoy macrumors member

BestBuyBoy

For the past 6 months I faithfully checked the Apple site every Tuesday morning for an update on the mac mini to go to a core 2 duo and I probably would have done that.. or even an update on the iMac.. and nothing.
    I waited for the new OS.... then I was told to wait more..

Then, in frustration, I check Newegg and see Intel dropped thier price on the Q6600 QUAD processor by $500.00 since I last checked. That was it.. as much as I wanted to go Mac, the thought of video editing with a QUAD for $1500.00 so I pulled the trigger and went with a quad, a nice GPU with 512MB, 2GB of ram, a firewire card, a CPU cooler all for about $1500. I'll go get a new 22" samsung 226 later today and call it a day...... maybe i'll see ya in 3 years guys... until then, take care all and thanks for answering my Mac questions along the way.. I almost was a convert.. but couldnt justify buying outdated hardware and poor GPU's...

2. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

You should of waited at least till June. You will be dissapointed. Especially when you see what Vista is really like. All the guys at work just piss and moan about it all the time while I sit happily on my iMac. :D

3. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

Congratulations! Make hay while the sun's shining, god only knows how many years it'll be between Microsoft OS releases this time around ;)

It's funny what I've managed to justify over the last 12 months for the sake of OS X :D Don't be too green now!

4. akadmon macrumors 68010

Enjoy your new PC! Don't forget to update us every so often. We're all eager to know how you make out :)

5. Max Payne macrumors 6502a

Congrats and enjoy your new PC. Have a good one. :)

6. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

Good luck with the new PC, I hope Vista is much, much better than the other lame efforts by Microsoft.
    I think you will return to the fold sooner than you expect.

FJ

7. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

Well, I don't know what kind of update you were hoping for on the iMac as it used the mobile chipset so there is no Quad, and I don't understand why you care about the Mini if you're spending $1500 on a computer anyways. Not really the target demographic for that particular machine.

Well, good luck, and enjoy. Which version of Vista are you buying?

8. BestBuyBoy thread starter macrumors member

BestBuyBoy

I went with the Premium version.... I was always comfortable with the core 2 duo but hesitated with the mini because it was a cd. Then I thought the iMac was fine for my needs but, and this might be trivial to many, but always liked having the ability to hang the lcd over my desk.. with the 20" iMac I had no ability to do that.. and christ, the 24" iMac which would hang, was crazy big for the living room.. or so it looked in the store.. So, yeah, would have gone the mini with a new 22" wide screen on the wall.. but when I saw that the quads came down so low, I said heck, for the money, let me build a screamer for about the same money that an iMac would cost me... I know, different worlds, but in terms of taking my box of home movies I collected over the past 10 years of the kids, it will provide me the ability to cut out the extra stuff, burn them to DVD's and call it a day.. If I could ask one last thing before I will probably go back to my windows forums.. what would be a good video editing program to use on windows for the home user? anything that emulates iMovie somewhat.. always enjoyed playing with that at Compusa.. ok guys.. thanks a lot.

9. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

I would probably check out Avid and Pinnacle video-editing software.

I have been using Liquid for some time but it may be somewhat too advanced for your needs.

10. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Sounds like you got a nice setup...pictures??? ;)

11. MacSA macrumors 68000

MacSA

I'm thinking of doing the same as the original poster...i'm not sure how much longer I can wait for an update to the Mini, i've been using a PC with Windows ME for over 6 and a half years:eek: - it's barely hanging on.

237 days since the Mini was last updated, it better be spectacular when it does arrive. Although I suspect it will still come with a Combo Drive!!

12. zero2dash macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

Is this the mentality of fence sitting switchers these days?
    "I don't want to pay for the Mac Pro so I'll either complain about the other Apple desktops being underpowered or I'll just build a Windows box and tell myself I'm saving money." :rolleyes:

Enjoy your PC man. :eek:
    I'll gladly pay the extra money for a Mac Pro just so I don't ever have to bother with critical updates, virus definitions, and spyware updates ever again.

FWIW - you paid $1500 for a desktop that runs Vista when you could've gotten a refurb Mac Pro for not too much more.

13. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

I tried the whole "video editing on a PC" thing a while back. $2000 later and around last Christmas I swapped it out for a $599 Mac Mini.

The Mini works better....

14. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

it's always interesting to hear why people choose a Windows machine over a Mac.

after video editing on a Mac (just home movies and the like) i can't imagine going back to Windows.

15. MacSA macrumors 68000

MacSA

Are you saying Apple never release "critical updates" ?

16. Frankf300 macrumors regular

Frankf300

I used to edit quite a bit when I was on Windows, not so much now. After taking a video class in school using Adobe Premiere Pro I realized that was the interface I liked the most. I wasn't a good enough editor that I was going to run out and buy Premiere Pro, so I got Adobe Premiere Elements 2.0. It's Adobe's version of Premiere for the home editor. It's layout is basically the same as Premiere Pro. The amount of features it had is what blew me away, way more than any other "basic" editing program I've seen to date. Considering how cheap it was, I was extremely satisfied. I think they've since updated to Premiere Elements 3.0, which I'm sure is even better.

17. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

I think "critical" meaning "in order to make your program or system work instead of crash"

I had to do that with some editing software on the PC - wouldn't work at all until you did an update...

18. MacSA macrumors 68000

MacSA

Having been using Windows Millennium Edition for 6.5 years I think i'm qualified to say that is certainly true, however, I don't think it is with Windows XP.

19. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

the horror! :eek:

20. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

You used ME for 6.5 years? :eek: :eek: :eek:

Most bottoms aren't that masochistic! :eek: :(

I do think you have a good point... it seems to me that the pace and annoyingness of Microsoft's updates has improved somewhat in the recent past. I think at least some of this is fair:

- They don't do a good job of making the update process unobtrusive
    - Multiple updates (e.g. fresh install of an OS that has been around for a while) requires too many updates. True also on OS X but worse on Windows.
    - More annoying updateware from vendors (especially, Adobe Acrobat's updating system on top of XP is just evil).

That being said, there are legitimate reasons aplenty to use Windows. And Vista seems very nice. I don't hate.

21. MacSA macrumors 68000

MacSA

I'm using it now. :) I did try installing XP.. but it said the hard drive (13GB lol) was corrupt and couldn't be repaired.

22. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

well good luck with your PC I think that if you were spending that much on a PC you should have gone with a refurb Mac Pro they are only $500 more.

23. Frankf300 macrumors regular

Frankf300

Not everybody is made of money ;)

24. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Also applies to programs, not just Windows. The program that came with the video capture card wouldn't work at all, until I updated the program with a "critical update"....

25. BlackDan macrumors 6502

Congrats on the machine, looks like it has some great specs. You should've dumped Vista for Ubuntu though ;)

Enjoy your machine!