I currently have an iPhone 4s. Should I upgrade to iPhone 5s, or wait for iPhone 6?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by brian1868, Jan 3, 2014.

  1. brian1868, Jan 3, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2014

    brian1868 macrumors member

    Dec 17, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I bought my 4s in July, 2012, and I have been using it for more than a year.

    After switching from iOS 6 to iOS 7, it really drives me crazy that 4s is not smooth enough to use. Comparing to 5s, it's thick and heavy with only 3.5 screen, which I think is not fashionable at all. I especially love the gold model of 5s.

    I'm coming to US next week, and I'm wondering whether I should buy a 5s.

    It's rumoured that iPhone 6 has a bigger screen, a thinner model and a much better camera, and some people said, as I quote, "iPhone 6 is revolutionary as iPhone 4 is back that time".

    So should I pick up a 5s in apple store next week, or wait for 3 months or even 9 months?

    Please help me. Thank you so much!
  2. Nukemkb macrumors 6502a


    Mar 12, 2006
    Columbia, SC
    Wait. I've no issues with my 4S. I am waiting.:D
  3. maflynn Moderator


    Staff Member

    May 3, 2009
    At this point, you're better off waiting 6 months, I'm sure apple will have a number of models, so the iPhone 6 won't just be one size, but a couple for you to choose from.
  4. PicnicTutorials macrumors 6502a


    Dec 29, 2013
    So far I have Ben able to stay on the 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 upgrade schedule and not the "S" version of each. I'd say that's a better upgrade skedual. I'd wait. 5 is still painfully small. 100% 6 will be bigger. If it's not apple needs to lay off the ego juice.
  5. brian1868 thread starter macrumors member

    Dec 17, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I think it's smart for you to do this. I got iPhone 4 first, but when 4s came out, I was appealed by Siri and a 8mp camera. In 2012, I had no reason to upgrade to iPhone 5 since I'm just a college student. Now after such a long time, I'm craving for 5s and I'm not sure whether I can wait for iPhone 6.:confused::confused:
  6. cynics macrumors G4

    Jan 8, 2012

    Why would you say that's a better schedule? I've found the opposite at least with future proofing.

    The 4 didn't get all the software the 4S got where the 4S got the software the 5 got. Aside from airdrop/slowmo the 4S is up to date with the 5S. So the 4 was losing support after 1 year the 4S is gonna go on to at least 3 years for the most part. This is all hardware aside.

    The 5, while nice....they don't even make it anymore (albeit 5C is available).

    I don't see the appeal of going with the non S versions. That said I'm probably going to wait to see what the 6 has to offer.
  7. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

    The Doctor11

    Dec 15, 2013
    New York
    Upgrade now like today. Wait any longer and you'll be waiting for the next gen iPhone.
  8. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

    ET iPhone Home

    Oct 5, 2011
    Orange County, California USA
  9. brian1868 thread starter macrumors member

    Dec 17, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    which model do you have now?


    for a bigger screen?
  10. PicnicTutorials macrumors 6502a


    Dec 29, 2013
    True the s version is always a bit snappier. The non s version is usually the major form factor change though. The newest of the new. I prefer that scheadual.
  11. Col Ronson macrumors 6502a

    Aug 7, 2008
    I upgraded from the 4S to the 5S simply to get LTE. If internet speed is not a priority for you, then go ahead and wait.

    The touch ID was a nice added bonus. Also the 5/5S is incredibly thin/light compared to the 4S. i was super amazed the first time i held it haha.
  12. SandPebble macrumors regular

    Oct 18, 2012
    Bought my 4s in February 2012, going on 2 years now.

    I'm waiting to see what the 6 looks like.
  13. eclipse01 macrumors 68020


    May 16, 2011
    Eau Claire, WI
    I have a 4s (on a CDMA network, no 4g) :(

    I was really going to get the 5S but ended up making the decision to wait for the 6
  14. TacticalDesire macrumors 68020


    Mar 19, 2012
    As a college student you probably have other financial obligations no? If I was in your shoes I think I would bite the bullet and wait another 8 months or so for the 6. Maybe experiment with jailbreaking to scratch that itch a little.
  15. bjb.butler macrumors 6502a


    Aug 18, 2008
    Southern California
    6 months? Apple hasn't released an iphone in the summer since 2010. More like 9 months
  16. dave420 macrumors 65816

    Jun 15, 2010
    I think it is a good time to upgrade, especially with some of the deals available that are around $75 off the retail price of the new model. If you use your phone a lot you may really benefit from the increased speed. The 4S is still a good phone, and would still work well for you if you want to wait to upgrade.
  17. carjakester macrumors 68020


    Oct 21, 2013
    I've gotten every new iPhone, i found that if i sell my current phone just before the next one comes out, i end up paying about the same price for the no contract as it would be for an upgrade.
  18. bartonjm macrumors member

    Apr 22, 2012
    Upstate NY
    Well...Sadly my 64 GB 4s just pooped itself. It was a good run, but I couldn't hold out for the 6. Best Buy had a sale for $75 off, so I bit on a new 64gb 5s. I had an internal battle going on as to whether I was going to use an old android phone and hold on for the 6 but went with the 5s instead. I hope I made the correct decision.
  19. rich32gb5s macrumors regular

    Oct 16, 2013
    I have the 4s. It too seems to be slower since the IOS7 installation. Im purchasing the 5s now. There is no point in jumping into a new launch immediately anyway, let alone the completely new design.

    So my ruling is this...

    1) Don't buy the first edition but wait for the improved 'S' version
    2) Always wait a few months before buying a new launch so minor problems can be ironed out ( mostly talking about hardware that cant be fixed after purchase)

    Also depends on your circumstances. I never buy contract phones but take advantage of the Apple 10 month 0% finance offer that only comes around Christmas times for a month or two. So I create my own terms of contract which is only 10 months so once phone is paid for I either start again or keep the phone for another year.

    Remember with electronics there is always something better around the corner. Once you have waited 3 months or so for teething problems to be fixed you will then be thinking "oh its only another 9 months until a new model is out...shall I wait"!?

    Either buy a potentially Beta quality phone on launch or accept that you will have an older model for a while but a better quality one (potentially!).

    Personally I think the larger screen could be an improvement yes, but more importantly for now , a phone that operates well is priority. Ill take the larger screen when the 6s launches :)
  20. iPodJedi macrumors 6502a


    Nov 28, 2013
    Apple Store, USA
    It truly isn't a "smooth" experience of ios7 on the 4s but it works well enough to ladt you at least 8months and if u buy one now u will be sad and regret it when the 6 comes out.
  21. rich32gb5s macrumors regular

    Oct 16, 2013
  22. davidg4781 macrumors 68020

    Oct 28, 2006
    Alice, TX
    I hope the 6 has a 3.4" screen. The 4" is too long for my thumb to reach the top part. 3.5" was better but as long as we're making up things, let's go with a 3.4".

    It's up to you. The 5s will be a pretty good upgrade but it's not going to wow you. And in all honestly, I don't think the 6 is going to wow anyone either. We've gone from Moto Razrs to 1st iPhone and that was a huge leap. Each subsequent model, while had great features, just made it more and more perfect. I really can't think of anything else I'd want. Maybe curved edges, but wow, a bit of a redesign. Thinner? You'll have to get rid of the headphone jack if you get much thinner. The screen is a bit too big right now so that's not worth it.

    If you can hold off 10 more months wait. If you want to play with something new upgrade. I will say, it seems like every day I'm just excited about how much I love my 5s. I don't think I felt the same about the 4s and that was my first iPhone.
  23. iamMacPerson macrumors 68030


    Jun 12, 2011
    I have always said, if you can't get the new iPhone until 3 months after it came out, wait until the next model. 3 months in, you've already waited 1/4 of the year, might as well wait the remaining 3/4 of the year (9 months).

    My advice, wait until the 6, as it will more then likely be a new design and have even faster internals. Then you can order at launch or wait in line and get it the day of release.
  24. RiddlaBronc macrumors 6502a


    Oct 14, 2013
    Mcallen Tx
    Buy the 5s. Then sell it shortly before the new one and enjoy.

    I had the 4 with ios7 and it was not that bad.

Share This Page