I demand crossfade!!!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by amazingdm, Sep 7, 2010.

1. amazingdm macrumors 6502

How is it that Apple's flagship product, based off the iPod line, still not have a feature that other cheaper iPods have?

2. iSaxon macrumors 6502a

iSaxon

Other iPods have crossfade? I didn't even know this.

3. amazingdm thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes for at least two years

4. skabadelic macrumors member

5. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Can I ask why you need crossfading?

6. jkwireless macrumors newbie

+1

This is a feature I would LOVE to see on the music player of my iPhone

7. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Didn't iTunes used to come with that 'on' by default? Boy, that was annoying. I just checked and I see it's still in there as an option but they must have made 'off' the default a long time ago because it's been awhile since I've had to go turn that off.

Anyway, back on topic, why would we want that on the iPhone?

For me the iPod is a replacement for my old CD player. It is not a replacement for my old wedding DJ. I don't see the need for this "feature."

8. Bandolier macrumors 6502a

Don't want it, but I do agree that there should at least be a feature or an option to enable it.

9. ovrlrd macrumors 65816

ovrlrd

I never liked the crossfade feature because it always ends up sounding weird. It is super rare that the two songs are at a similar BPM and they fade together "okay."

You don't see DJs doing blind crossfades (unless they are terrible), and so you shouldn't have your music player do it either. It's a useless feature for anyone who actually cares about listening to music properly.

Granted, I guess there are people who don't care, but that's my 2 cents.

10. amazingdm thread starter macrumors 6502

Can I ask why you need to not have the option? In other words, why settle for less? I need it because listening to music sounds way better than having pauses and gaps. When two songs crossfade it sounds radio/dj style i love that

Ps: I don't give a crap if you don't want/like it.

11. ovrlrd macrumors 65816

ovrlrd

You realize that songs have gaps/pauses for a reason. They are put in there by the artist. You ever notice how some songs don't have a gap/pause between them? It's called a "gapless" track and it is fully supported by iTunes and the iPod/iPhone. Again, that is intended by the artist, it's their way to "crossfade" to the listener.

The second you are doing the crossfade yourself, you are essentially saying, "I am an artist, I want to create something other than what they intended." There is nothing wrong with this, DJs do this all the time, they are using their own artistic skill to mix songs together, which is a great contribution to the music. Assuming they are good at what they do that is.

It is absolutely horrible to just have some blind crossfade done by your computer. It basically means you have no respect for the music. You are doing a crappy mix without any care.

If you want that, then fine. I see no reason for Apple to exclude the option.

Some people don't seem to realize that the gaps are sometimes what make something special. The lack of something isn't always a bad thing, especially in music.

12. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

demand all you want, no one with the power to do anything about it is going to hear you here,

luckily for you, Apple has set up a Feedback page just for these type of occasions.
    http://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html

Submit away.

13. amazingdm thread starter macrumors 6502

Don't care about gaps or what the artist wanted. I love crossfade. Back to my nano for now

14. Bandolier macrumors 6502a

Nothing like crossfading into a song with a different genre and key signature to throw you off your groove.

15. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

That's nice :)

16. amazingdm thread starter macrumors 6502

Why would i care about the selfish notion that "I don't want it therefore you shouldn't have it"

17. ovrlrd macrumors 65816

ovrlrd

Dude you are the one who started the thread with "I demand crossfade" followed by three (really, three?) exclamation points.

To people on the internet, they read that as if you were shouting "I demand crossfade!!!"

Just think about it, clearly you are being selfish in your demands, without considering what reasons there might be for excluding it. Yet you think it's odd that someone might respond with their own selfish notion about why they don't want it?

Double standards, ruining the internet one post at a time!

18. amazingdm thread starter macrumors 6502

Damn right I'm being selfish, but I want Apple to GIVE people something they want, not take it away!!!

There is no legitimate excuse for Apple to not include something they've had on actual iPods for years now.

19. ovrlrd macrumors 65816

ovrlrd

They run completely different software and different hardware. So they don't see it as a feature that people want and won't bother to program it in. They leave it in the older iPods because the software is already written and why take out a feature?

There, I just gave you the reason right there. You can send feedback to Apple and let them know how you feel. If enough people demand something maybe they will listen? I doubt there is enough people who care though.

20. amazingdm thread starter macrumors 6502

I don't care about that reason. Why are so many people against them putting in MORE features for christs sake.

21. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Have you sent feedback to Apple? It will do more good than ranting here.

22. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

23. ItsJustafnPhone macrumors 6502a

wow OP you can ** **** yourself , you're being really rude

how do you expect people to see your point of view when everything you keep spouting is " i don't care about you, I'm selfish, blah blah"

to me crossfade is a meh issue

24. amazingdm thread starter macrumors 6502

Because they're the ones being rude first.

Their reply to me was "crossfade sucks, no one should use crossfade, they shouldn't put crossfade on the iPhone"

In other words, because they don't like crossfade, no one should get it. It doesn't hurt anyone to put crossfade, a basic feature of music players, on the iPhone, a really advanced computing device, but helps everyone who wants it.

25. alFR macrumors 68020

OK, once more for the hard of thinking:

Have you submitted a feedback form to Apple, at the link given above, requesting this feature?

That's the only way you will have even a remote chance of getting what you want.