I did it! Almost a full Apple household now.

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Hankster, Apr 22, 2011.

1. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

My house already has two iPhones, two MacBooks, a MacBook Air, three iPods, and now there are two iPad 2s as of this morning. The only thing we don't have is an Apple desktop.

I bought the BlackBerry PlayBook Tuesday and ended up returning it last night. Nice device with great hardware, but the software was three years behind. Very sad story considering I used to be a huge BB user.

Anyway, after reading several threads last night about how hard it was to find an iPad 2 I decided to try my luck this morning. I arrived at the nearby mall at 8:45am and waited one minute before a rep came out and told me they had the 32GB black Verizon model only. At first I wasn't going to get a celluar model, but he told me something I did not know...the subscription is NOT a contract! I can turn on and off the Verion service as I choose. So I bought it. There were six others in line ahead of me.

Next I had to find a 16GB white WiFi model for my girlfriend. I went to a Best Buy across the street - no iPads in stock. I went to another Best Buy - no iPads in stock. I went to a nearby Target - no iPads in stock. I said okay, one more try... I went to another Best Buy and asked the cusromer service area if they had any iPads. Nice lady said "We do but it's only the 16GB white WiFi only model." I was thinking, "Wow, the exact GB and color I needed."

So, here I am back home (I'm a fireman so I'm off a lot, work 24 hour shifts). My girlfriend has no clue what I did this morning, so I placed her iPad next to our cereal boxes :) When she gets home I'll ask her to check out the new breakfast foods I bought.

Interesting morning, and this post is off my new iPad 2. I wonder how long until there's an Apple desktop here too...

2. ct2k7 macrumors 603

Cool story, but where's the Apple TV? Apple Mac Pro.... iPod Touch, MacBook Pro?

3. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

"Honey, this new cereal isn't dissolving in my milk for some reason."

4. Joey47 macrumors newbie

5. thunderbunny macrumors 6502a

thunderbunny

Top job:)

Would be interested in hearing about what you found bad in the bb OS

6. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

7. NikeTalk macrumors 6502a

8. BigDukeSix macrumors 6502a

BigDukeSix

Very cool!!! There is no such thing as too many Apple products I always say. And, nice your persistance paid off in the search for the white IPad.

9. Brookzy macrumors 68040

Brookzy

You just didn't give up :)

I give up far too easily. On iPad 2 launch day here in the UK they had sold out in the Apple store and I was about to go home until I overheard some people saying they had some at an Orange mobile network store across the precinct.

10. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

I'm a converted Apple hater. 2 years ago, I wouldn't have even allowed an iPod in my house. Now my wife has a MacBook and an iPod, I have an iPhone 4 and soon an iPad 2 (probably Monday). I am streaming my iTunes library all over the house and spending a gazillion dollars every month in iBooks, iTunes, and App Store stuff.

Then there's my lonely Windows 7 PC down in the basement. When I get rid of my laptop, that will be the only Windows machine left in our house.

11. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

After poo-pooing Apple products for years I needed a cell phone upgrade back in 2008. Apple was busy advertising the iPhone 3G and it looked like something from the far future compared to my Motorola phone.
    Bought an iPhone 3G but that was it for awhile...
    Got a Best-Buy GC for my birthday, an open-box Apple TV caught my eye and slowly I was drawn into the Apple orchid. (My gotta hack it PC roots made me drop in a 320GB drive)
    The iPad came out and I had to have one.
    Then I needed OSX (dread) to write apps for iOS so I bought a 2010 MBP 13" (the build quality is worlds away from any of my PC laptops plus it actually runs nice and cool with awesome battery run times)

Today, I upgraded to an iPhone 4, I get Apple now. My stuff just works without tweaking. I love the uniform interface of OSX (I wish Finder was more Windows 7 like though (cut/paste, better right click pasting)). I also upgraded the old ATV1 to an ATV2.

My Quad Core PC is now only used for Battlefield 1942 & Handbrake.

12. Brookzy macrumors 68040

Brookzy

Same here.

All changed when I got the first Intel iMac in 2006.

Every time I use a Windows machine I realise all the nice little touches Apple's products have which you forget about after a while, such as the aluminium construction, the ginormous trackpad, the battery indicator on the MBP and Alu. MacBook, identical keyboards on both desktop and notebooks, and simple thinness and good looking design.

:D

13. MrMac'n'Cheese macrumors 6502a

MrMac'n'Cheese

Cool story bro =]

we need more of this on MR!

14. MassacrMan macrumors member

Congrats on the new iPad 2's.

I personally like to diversify, I have an iPad 1, an iPod touch, and an HTC Inspire smartphone running android along with a Windows 7 Professional desktop.

15. martin1000 macrumors regular

Here here! I totally agree. Been a Mac household for about 5 or 6 years. MBP 2010, iMac 2008, AppleTV 1, iPad 1, iPhone4, Time Capsule, and Airport Express. (retired the original MacBook.)

Love, love, love Apple!!!!

Many of my friends are in the process of converting. They come over and love how my movies, tv shows, and music can all be streamed to the home entertainment system, and they love the remote app on the iPad.

16. Thedeathbear macrumors 6502a

17. tkadrum macrumors member

Great!
    Thanks for supporting and making my apple stocks higher.
    Keep on buying....I love to see my dividends go up and up and up!

18. Amazing Iceman macrumors 68040

Amazing Iceman

In my case, it was 2007 and I needed to replace my Toshiba laptop. I was an Apple hater too, but when Leopard was announced, I took a leap of faith and got a MBP 17" With high definition display. If I didn't like it, I would return it. Otherwise, I'll also buy later an MAC Pro for home.

Two weeks later, I decided to connect the MBP to my Big screen monitor, the one I used for my PC Tower. Two months later I realized I was not using the PC tower, so I turned it off. Another month, and noticed that the PC tower was getting in the way, so I disconnected it and stored it in my closet. Another three months, and noticed it the PC was taking space in my closet so I gave it to a friend.

In the end, my MBP was powerful enough that I didn't see the need for the MAC Pro.

Then when the iPad1 came out, I hated it, called a toy, etc. I was waiting for one of the other promised tablets to become available, but nothing happened.
    I ended up buying one the last day AT&T offered their 3G Unlimited Plan, under the condition of returning it if I didn't like it. When it finally arrived, I helded in my hands I thought: "Why the heck did I buy this thing for?". A week later I was about to return it, but then I finally discovered how it would become useful to me, started to discover great useful apps, etc.
    Now I love my iPad, but want the iPad2. I'm in no rush, waiting for it to become available at the local Walmart (10% discount).

My Toshiba laptop still remains at home, used by my wife; but it will soon be replaced by my current iPad.

My MBP is now over 3 years old, but still has the power I need. A PC would have been already crawling after 3 years of Windows updates. Even my powerful PC tower would have sucked in performance trying to run windows Vista. I'm happy to have switched to MAC OS X.

Anyways, that's my story... :D

19. Fubar1977 macrumors 6502a

Fubar1977

If Apple make something I need or really want then I`ll get it (budget allowing) but if someone else makes something better then I`ll go for that instead.

I do try to avoid the fanboyist mentality when I buy tech but, if I`m totally honest I will usually look at an Apple solution first :eek:

20. ssampath macrumors member

I was a certified hater until my daughter won an iPod Nano is a school raffle. Now we have 4 iPhone 4s, an iPhone 1 on a pay as you go plan for good measure, aTV 2, MacBook Pro 15" and a few iPods. Will be getting an Air this summer as well.

I think when it comes to personal computing I cannot think of a product from any other company I really want! The one other thing I would like to get is a 65" 3D LED TV but that costs a good $5K :-(!

21. tdfreeman macrumors member

I've been accused of being a "fanboy". In actuality, my "computers" still outnumber the Macs by a large margin (5 various Windows machines, vs 3 Macs). I personally use a MacBook Air daily, but switch back and forth with no issues. I have no issues with either OSX or Win7 and use both equally. People say Macs just work, which is true...but it's also true with Win7. I've had 5 Macs over my time with Apple and I buy them for the design. The strength and looks of the MacBook Air cannot be matched. When buying the kids computers, I decided on Windows because, 1) they are cheaper, 2) AD integration and controls, 3) and games. I bought my wife a MacBook Pro, but she mostly messes with pictures. Ironically, Macs are supposed to shine in multimedia, but we both prefer Windows over iPhoto or Aperture.

However, on the portable/video front, we are exclusively Apple. We have 2 iPhones, 2 touches, 2 iPads, and an AppleTV with a Mini attached to my main TV. I thought about switching to another phone, but just can't see maintaining a second instance of music/video/apps/etc for my phone. With that one Mac Mini and iTunes, I can sync/purchase/update all 7 devices with no effort. This to me, can't be beat. Could the same be said about another product? If there is, I'm not aware of it and have no plans to start over with the devices.

22. Roofy. macrumors 6502a

I was converted when I got a mac mini over 2 years ago. After that I got an ipod touch and said to myself "I wont buy an iphone, I have the touch". then the iPhone 3GS came out and I was due for an upgrade so of course I had to have it. Then the 4 came out and I upgraded early.

When the ipad came out I was dissapointed with it originally and just thought it was a big iphone. Then I started trying them out at the apple store and love using it more and more. So of course just yesterday I ordered myslef a white ipad 2 32 gig.

All thats left for me is an upgraded mac mini.

23. ct2k7 macrumors 603

I'm not converted. Each product has its respective pitfalls. Subjective, some more than others.

24. Caliber26 macrumors 68000

Caliber26

You're forgetting two of the most pivotal (and PERHAPS my two most favoritest :apple: gadgets) pieces: Apple TV & AirPort Express!

I like that feeling of my iPhone being this super-duper toy that controls what I see and listen throughout my house. Coincidentally, they're two of the cheapest things in the Apple family, so don't hesitate to get 'em.

25. brayhite macrumors 6502a

Thought I'd chime in with my story:

I was very hesitant and wary to buy a MBP (or any Apple product for that matter). I grew up on a PC (since I was about 5 years old playing CHIPS) and felt most comfortable on it. My girlfriend at the time had them at their school and said how good they were and a close friend who is a graphic design major had one for years and told me how much she loved it. The biggest complaint I had heard (I don't remeber who from) about OSX was how unorganized and difficult it was to find files and edit them.

Boy, how wrong were they.

I already had an iPod Classic from, like, 2006. Bought the Touch in 2008. Then an Airport Extreme Base Station. Then the iPhone 4. Then the Apple TV 2. Then the iPad 2.

Converted my (current) girlfriend as well, as she got rid of her Gateway laptop her grandparents bought her for school (crapped out about 3 months in- broken charger, slow to load, etc.) and got the MBP in February of 2010 after using my MBP for school and loving it.

Now we both use the iPad 2, she loves her iPhone 4 (previously had an iPhone 3G and always made sure I knew that before I got the 4), I use the Apple TV 2 to listen to music from my MBP whenever I get a chance, and now I just want a desktop Mac for general use by anyone.

Couldn't be any happier with my technology :)