i did it. i finally bought it!

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by itou, Jan 27, 2008.

1. itou macrumors regular

hello!

i finally did it. i bought a new mac pro and 23" apple display. after reading these forums for a while, and considering all these pluses and minuses of investing so much money in a computer, i finally caved. i could only remember envying everyone who bought one of these mighty machines and today, finally, i could join you. i've been using my 7 year old powerbook g4 everyday and it's been wonderful. i really hope the new mac pro will be exactly as good as this powerbook was to me. i got the folks over at the apple store to transfer all my data from my powerbook to the mac pro. it was painless. i had no idea what they did, but they did a great job. they opened the display on the spot and let me check for dead pixels and any irregularities. when i approved, they put it back in the box and off i went. the mac pro is heavy, so i got them to deliver it for free. there was no way i could carry that in a tokyo train. i didn't want to use the online store so they opened one they had in stock and configured it to my specifications without delay. it took about 30 minutes to configure and about an hour for me to ask all my questions/transfer of data. they were extremely helpful and i got .mac and final cut express for free.

i love this computer!

i've read about so many people who are on the fence about buying the cinema displays. admittedly, i was one of them. but when i considered that despite the fact that apple would release a new display soon, i wouldn't be daring enough to buy the new design. the current generation is perfect design-wise and the specifications are adequate. many of my co-workers use eizo and nec displays. i like it and enjoy using it but it's very ugly. i disagree that the cinema display is all form and no function. comparison of functions is all relative but at the end, it's what you use it for. the contrast is fine, too high contrast is not always good. too wide gamut is also not always good. the cinema display is very balanced. the price is not so bad. i have no desire to output/input using anything other than DVI. if my mac pro uses DVI, and i use my cinema display with mac pro, then DVI is OK. i have a television for other things like blu-ray disc recorder and home theatre. gaming is for ps3 and wii. why game on 23" anyway?

this is my first intel mac so i'm eager to try running windows and parallels on this. i've heard so much about it but have never been fortunate enough to own a system that could do it. my co-workers don't seem to care about windows much so they can't help. does anyone have any good websites to show me how to do it best? i know that many people are not happy with the standard configuration of the "standard" mac pro, but coming from my powerbook g4, this thing is very fast. i'm satisfied and would do the same again if i can choose.

i'm loving it.

-itou.

ps: i bought the mac pro at the shibuya store in tokyo. i'm not sure if many people are in japan here, but if you need help, shibuya is very good. ginza... not so much.

2. 4God macrumors 68020

4God

Congratulations on your purchase and I know you've been here since the 16th but I want to say welcome to MR anyway. :D

3. orpheus1120 macrumors 65816

orpheus1120

Congrats! I'm glad you pulled the trigger. I'm in the midst of getting a MP too, but standard spec is just not my cuppa tea. :D So I'm gonna hold off until I decide the exact spec I want.

Are you running the factory 2GB rams or have you upgraded?

BTW, are you a Japanese?

4. Nugget macrumors 65816

Nugget

Ginza is good for photos! :)
    [​IMG]

Congratulations on the Mac Pro! I'm envious! Apple still has not shipped mine to me yet, so I wait and wait.

5. ErikAndre macrumors 6502a

ErikAndre

Congrats on the purchase... i'll be making my purchase this week as I'm pretty certain Apple will be releasing the 8800GT this week.

I'm also coming from the Powerbook G4 and am looking forward to an even better platform for my video work.

6. iCeFuSiOn macrumors 6502a

Congratulations on the purchase, I'm sure you'll enjoy it! :)

7. johny5 macrumors 6502a

johny5

nice purchase, I (maybe like you before) can only dip my feet in the "pro" club by passing by the Mac pro forums daily :D

what spec did you get? I would love to get a 4gig, 2.8 (dual) with the 8800gt but with a 23" display comes to around £2,500 :(

8. hakuryuu macrumors 6502

Hearing about how good the customer service was reminds me of everything my wife complains about here in the US(she is from japan). Maybe I should wait until we move there to buy my Mac Pro.. haha.

9. itou thread starter macrumors regular

thank-you very much for the support!

the mac pro has been running with no problems. so far so good. it's scary to read the problems here, but mine's been ok. maybe everyone with good builds are silent (no need to be here?). i'm looking for the magnetic mount for my isight and no where seems to have it. i checked many stores in akihabara (electronics heaven in tokyo) and still can't find only that part. it seems impossible.

i think apple products in general are more expensive than elsewhere, especially usa. i am looking for a software to build high-quality websites. besides iweb, do macs have other choices? more professional is what i want.

yes, i am japanese btw (half) but i grew up in canada.

10. itou thread starter macrumors regular

i only got standard configuration. i think it is enough for now. i may upgrade it later, that way, i can feel refreshed when it gets faster and faster (i'm just being cheap! *||* ).

11. JesterJJZ macrumors 68020

JesterJJZ

12. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

13. Wild-Bill macrumors 68030

Wild-Bill

14. itou thread starter macrumors regular

15. dansz macrumors newbie

Neat, another Tokyo user! I never would have though Shibuya had that kind of service (because, you know, it's Shibuya) and I've never heard of bargaining out here, so that's really good to hear.

I'm still waiting for my Mac Pro to get here (sigh . . . feb 14), but I have unasked for advice if you need it! I wanted to plush my computer out, so I did a medium amount of research on this and the best places for shopping I've found so far in Japan are:

Ram: import from OWC straight up. International shipping is only an additional $20

HD: Sofmap (heart). Found a WD Caviar 500gig (16mb cache) for 11000yen ish)

Monitor: I went Dell but I'm not the most knowledgeable here.

16. itou thread starter macrumors regular

hi dansz, you are also in tokyo! that's great.
    i didn't negotiate. he offered. i didn't even want .mac to be honest. i think they give it away in hopes you'll continue to subscribe. it's kind of the same deal with mobile phones, you know what i mean right?

shibuya is not bad. ginza is worse.
    i can think of nobody who would shop in ginza and will buy a computer there. the staff are very well trained (very well mannered), but not so knowledgeable. i was in akihabara today shopping for HDD also. i found 1TB (buffalo brand) for less than 20,000 yen in a pc depot shop. avoid big shops like yodobashi or bic-camera. they are only good for research but not for purchase. the smaller shops have very good price but don't know about quality! if it is new, i think maybe OK. ram is very expensive in japan. i don't know why.

i've always believed they had the best and the worst of everything in the world. kind of like nyc, but without the threat of terrorism. :rolleyes:

17. dansz macrumors newbie

Thanks for the tip! I've been to Akihabara a couple of times but I can never seem to find what I'm looking for. I heard it was the place to buy cheap electronics (cameras, etc) but every time I go I seem to only find really expensive places. Will have to look more!

And yes, I can't believe how expensive ram is in Japan. I tried looking domestically first, but the prices weren't much different from Apple's.

By the way, you're English is perfect . . . which makes me think you might be a translator. If you are, what software do you use to translate on the mac? I'm trying to decide whether I want to run Trados in Parallels or not right now.

18. GoKyu macrumors 65816

GoKyu

Congrats on the new setup :)

And no, I'm not Japanese, my nick is my rank in nihon jujutsu :)

-Bryan

19. Mr.PS macrumors 6502a

I just got mine a few hours ago. Set it up with the 30" and I am blown away. It's incredibly fast and the 30" is amazing!!!

20. itou thread starter macrumors regular

two days and i am still amazed at how fast this machine is. it truly is a significant upgrade from my powerbook g4. :eek: i am actually a lawyer by trade, my office is in roppongi. but yes i also do professional translation as a consultant as well. i have used trados before but it isnt perfect.. as you know, the verb endings in japanese is quite tricky and trados sometimes get the nuances wrong. i guess thats why there will always be a market for native speakers here in japan.

what trade are you in? english speaking teacher? ;)

you should take a look in the smaller avenues of akihabara. the big stores are mostly for foreigners that have heard of akihabara and automatically assume its cheap. its not.

i will post photos of it tonight.

21. hakuryuu macrumors 6502

As far as web development software goes, get Adobe Dreamweaver. the CS3 Web Standard or Premium suites are your best choice if you can afford them.

22. zdobson macrumors 6502

Congrats, you are now a part of a very select few thousand people. :D

23. dansz macrumors newbie

I am actually just a regular old sallaryman (translation and website development) at a Japanese online retail website but I do freelance translation on the side. I've been thinking about trying TRADOS because I've seen so many great freelance opportunities that require it.

You've got me really excited about my Mac Pro! I'm also moving from a Powerbook (1ghz), so I should see the same speed ups as you. Now, all I have to do is wait for mine to arrive.

24. zirkle2007 macrumors 6502

zirkle2007

I second this. Adobe is hands down the best if you can afford the software.