General I don't get the hypocritical hate against pirated apps

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by docgerrard, Feb 9, 2013.

1. docgerrard macrumors 6502

Someone asks a question about downloading music illegally from youtube... no problem!

Someone asks about jailbreaking apple TV to watch TV illegally... no problem!

Someone even slightly mentions pirating an app... huge outcry by everyone.

Its quite hypocritical.

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

It is against the Forum Rules :)

3. BHP41 macrumors 6502a

BHP41

It is but he has a point no?

4. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

I don't speak for everyone on the forums but if someone were to ask me how to do any of these things, I tell them to buy it.

As for the Apple TV comment, I don't really understand what you mean. The jailbreaks available for Apple TV just allow it to play content from sources other than the default ones. That may or may not pirated content. Some people buy DVDs/Blu-Rays and store the rips to a NAS. And they want their Apple TV to be able to play from that NAS. That isn't illegal.

5. Demonface macrumors 6502a

It does seem like he has a point.

6. From A Buick 8 macrumors 68040

From A Buick 8

It is simple pirateing apps harms the developers that we all rely on to provide the awesome apps and tweaks that we love.

7. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

Exactly. It doesn't alter your cable subscription. It merely brings Apple TV in line with what you could play on something like a Roku.

8. waa1futs macrumors 6502

THIS ^^^

You'd have to be a f@#!ing idiot to not understand that if jailbreak developers aren't paid for the time they put into making awesome jailbreak tweaks for us, then they will find something else that does pay them and leave the jailbreak community :mad:

9. iBreatheApple macrumors 68020

iBreatheApple

To answer your question, it's not about morals, it's the simple fact that it against the forum rules (as others have stated).

10. dlmart2 macrumors 6502a

No, people rarely site forum rules when people ask about cracked apps.. people tend to pull the moral card and he is right..its very hypocritical.

11. hgrimberg macrumors 6502

hgrimberg

12. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Jailbreaking the Apple TV, iPad, and iPad Mini is illegal in the US, but legal for jailbreaking the iPhone and iPod Touch.

13. cclloyd macrumors 68000

cclloyd

I thought it was only unlocking those was illegal while unlocking for iphone was legal.

14. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

In the US, it is illegal to unlock an iPhone sold after January 31, 2013, except through the iPhone's carrier. But legal to still unlock all other older iPhones through any means. How does one unlock an Apple TV, iPad, or iPod Touch? The iPads sold in the US are already unlocked.

15. iBreatheApple macrumors 68020

iBreatheApple

That is true, some people are like that and act as if they are morally superior to everyone in the forum but my answer is still relevant the OPs question. There is nothing in the rules that forbids the previous mentions but there is in regard to pirated apps.

16. Jman13 macrumors 68000

Actually, those things are simply not explicitly legal...they are not illegal per se, they just aren't currently written into the DMCA exception that the iPhone is. It is a legal gray area that has never been tested.

17. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

You can do what you want - just take the consequences that come.

18. takeshi74 macrumors 601

It's because you're making broad, sweeping generalizations.

19. ideal.dreams macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

I feel it has two sides to it. Personally, I think piracy of apps is wrong because the developers work hard on their apps and for most, it's a steady source of income.

However, I think it absolutely sucks that the App Store doesn't have some kind way to trial an app before actually buying it. There are many times that I have spent money on an app that I end up not liking or having no use for. And yes, it's 99¢ for most...but over time that adds up! I think people's urges to pirate apps would die down a bit if there was a way to test out apps before actually buying them.

20. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

When was jailbreaking the iPad and iPad mini made illegal? I thought when they ruled jailbreaking legal in was for ALL iOS devices? :confused:

21. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Jailbreaking the iPad and iPad Mini was made illegal in 1998 with the passing of the DMCA. The exemption outlines only mobile phones (iPhone) and iPod Touches are allowed to be jailbroken. At the time of the first filling in 2009, the iPad did not exist and the Apple TV was still Mac OS X based. The DCMA makes jailbreaking both of those devices illegal because the act of jailbreaking incurs breaking past the system's digital defenses and modifying the system's code. Both of which are prohibited under the DCMA.

22. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

Can you point out with part of the DMCA prohibits jailbreaking the iPad but not the iPhone, considering I *highly* doubt anyone was going to take account jailbreaking a tablet or a smart phone (none of those terms of which even existed in 1998)

23. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

There is no reason to hate, act above or better or try to preach to others IMO.
    People will do whatever they want to do with their life so I dont bother trying to tell people things like this is wrong and Im right and you're a bad person for thinking/doing that or any other bs like that.
    The bottom line is that its against forum rules so that's enough to avoid discussion. Doesnt mean you have to agree with the rule or not but you need to follow it.

24. Troneas macrumors 65816

Troneas

If jailbreaking an ipad were illegal (which at the end of the day uses the same software and serves the same purpose of an IPT) wouldnt it be against forum rules to post about jailbroken ipads?

Can you elaborate more on this 1998 act you mention?

25. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

But pirating music and movies does no harm to the artists who make them? Please explain.

FWIW, there's a similar hypocrisy in the accessories forums where fake accessories discussions abound.