Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gix1k

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 16, 2008
Am I the only one? I have no desire to listen to music on this. iPod and EVO for that.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
Am I the only one? I have no desire to listen to music on this. iPod and EVO for that.

No, you're not alone.

I have 1 set of comedy podcasts, about 3 individual tracks that are only there as they were free junk given away at Christmas by Apple and two Albums I just synced over for experimental purposes when I got the device.

The speaker is rubbish for proper music playback (ok for podcast and TV programs) I don't want to walk around the house with an iPad and headphones!

And the memory is too small to just dump my music collection onto it. Which means I would have to selectively pick a collection of tracks to copy over.
But why bother?

If I wanted to listen to music at home, then I'd play it on something of a far higher quality than an iPad.

DeaconGraves

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2007
Dallas, TX
The only audio files I have on my iPad are podcasts, and if I start running out of space they will be the first to go.

Using the iPad for audio is good for situations when I'm on a plane and am going to be reading something on my iPad during the trip. But other than that, I'll just use my iPhone for music.

brendu

Cancelled
Apr 23, 2009
still waiting on my iPad to arrive but I do not plan on putting any music on it. I got the 16GB WiFi model because I fully plan on being able to stream all my media from the cloud soon enough. Also I use pandora much more than iTunes lately. Same deal for my iPhone.

I do have an iPod classic just for the occasions when I need my whole library with me.

jellybean

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2006
I seldom listen to music and podcasts on my iPad but use Home Sharing to stream my iTunes library from my iMac. So I'm glad I didn't opt for anything higher than the 16gb iPad.

Mattstkc

macrumors 6502a
Dec 8, 2009
Chicago, IL

I have a small section (ok 9gb but my full collection is 60gb) of music on my iPad. I work out in my house and AirPlay my music to the speakers while I'm on the elliptical. Also keep it up there to read news and play games while working out. I have an old iPod video but why use it if I can just run it all off one device?

I do agree that other than that or an airplane ride I'd probably never use my iPad for music

aross99

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2006
East Lansing, MI
I have music on my iPad so I can stream it to my Apple TV without leaving my computer on and iTunes running. This was my solution for the loss of local media storage when the Apple TV2 replaced my Apple TV1.

ngenerator

macrumors 68000
May 12, 2009
USG Ishimura
I have maybe 1GB of music on my 64GB baby, just a few playlists. It's only going to be used in the extremely unlikely case that both my iPhone and Classic blow up in my bag.

Skika

macrumors 68030
Mar 11, 2009
I have 3 or 4 of the latest albums im into. Othererwise i use my iPhone for music most of the time, iPad has to save precious space for anime:)

vrDrew

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2010
Midlife, Midwest
There are several factors that argue against keeping much music on an iPad.

Foremost in my estimation is that the iPad itself is physically too big to walk around with while listening to music. There is also the reality that the speakers aren't really good enough for decent listening. And then you have the argument that the smart iPad owner will reserve those precious gigabytes of storage for tasty Apps and multimedia (ie video) content.

In my mind, probably the biggest argument against keeping a lot of music on the iPad is Apple's own AirPlay technology. When you can use the iPad as a sort of "mega remote control" to play your entire iTunes library (stored on PC with virtually unlimited storage space) via an AppleTV connected to a decent stereo system - there isn't much need to keep music on the iPad.

I keep a very limited playlist (about 100 tracks) as an "emergency" resource, should I find myself stuck on a plane or other place where I don't have internet access.

ra4oasis

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2010
I do. I've got a 32 gig, and i take it to work every day and use it for music (plugged in to speakers). I use a smart playlist with a bunch of different variables, but basically it puts my most listened to 15ish gigs on the iPad, as well as new stuff. I use a similar smart playlist to keep roughly 7ish gigs on my iphone.

bembol

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2006
Strange.

I put Music on all my iDevices, even my Sony PlayStation 3 (250GB, Slim) has like a GB.

Reason? I like playing music while using Safari or other Apps like Zite.

Size makes no difference, obviously I wouldn't put all 10GB if I only had 16GB iDevice. This is why 32GB should be the standard/minimum for Apple.

My 64GB iPad 3G is what I rely/use the most, I sold my 32GB 3G touch and rarely use my 32GB iPhone 3GS.

M-5

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2008
I have all of my music on mine. But my entire music collection is only 630 songs, so why not?

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
I figure why not...I mean, if you have a smaller one or lots of video on it, I get not put music on it. But I tend to steam movies while keeping music saved on there(Netflix and Hulu Plus have more content than I could buy from iTunes.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.