I don't have a single song on my iPad....

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Gix1k, Apr 29, 2011.

1. Gix1k macrumors 68030

Gix1k

Am I the only one? I have no desire to listen to music on this. iPod and EVO for that.

2. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

No, you're not alone.

I have 1 set of comedy podcasts, about 3 individual tracks that are only there as they were free junk given away at Christmas by Apple and two Albums I just synced over for experimental purposes when I got the device.

The speaker is rubbish for proper music playback (ok for podcast and TV programs) I don't want to walk around the house with an iPad and headphones!

And the memory is too small to just dump my music collection onto it. Which means I would have to selectively pick a collection of tracks to copy over.
    But why bother?

If I wanted to listen to music at home, then I'd play it on something of a far higher quality than an iPad.

3. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

The only audio files I have on my iPad are podcasts, and if I start running out of space they will be the first to go.

Using the iPad for audio is good for situations when I'm on a plane and am going to be reading something on my iPad during the trip. But other than that, I'll just use my iPhone for music.

4. Flake macrumors regular

Flake

5. brendu macrumors 68020

still waiting on my iPad to arrive but I do not plan on putting any music on it. I got the 16GB WiFi model because I fully plan on being able to stream all my media from the cloud soon enough. Also I use pandora much more than iTunes lately. Same deal for my iPhone.

I do have an iPod classic just for the occasions when I need my whole library with me.

6. FearlessFreep macrumors 6502a

Me either. I use my IPad it at home and can either use my iMac, iPhone, or AppleTV. There's no scenario for me that wouldn't be covered by one of those three.

7. jellybean macrumors regular

I seldom listen to music and podcasts on my iPad but use Home Sharing to stream my iTunes library from my iMac. So I'm glad I didn't opt for anything higher than the 16gb iPad.

8. Mattstkc macrumors 6502a

Mattstkc

I have a small section (ok 9gb but my full collection is 60gb) of music on my iPad. I work out in my house and AirPlay my music to the speakers while I'm on the elliptical. Also keep it up there to read news and play games while working out. I have an old iPod video but why use it if I can just run it all off one device?

I do agree that other than that or an airplane ride I'd probably never use my iPad for music

9. Fliesen macrumors 6502a

Fliesen

no music.

if i ever feel the desire to listen to a specific song i just use home sharing.

10. gquiring macrumors regular

gquiring

11. logandzwon macrumors 6502a

I do not listen to music on my ipad. Have all of my music on my iPhone though

12. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

13. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

I have music on my iPad so I can stream it to my Apple TV without leaving my computer on and iTunes running. This was my solution for the loss of local media storage when the Apple TV2 replaced my Apple TV1.

14. ngenerator macrumors 68000

ngenerator

I have maybe 1GB of music on my 64GB baby, just a few playlists. It's only going to be used in the extremely unlikely case that both my iPhone and Classic blow up in my bag.

15. Skika macrumors 68030

I have 3 or 4 of the latest albums im into. Othererwise i use my iPhone for music most of the time, iPad has to save precious space for anime:)

16. Imsuperjp macrumors 6502

I have no music and no video files. I am weird like that

17. Alicia4065 macrumors regular

No music on mines either since I carry a Iphone that acts likes a Ipod Touch :D

18. vrDrew macrumors 65816

There are several factors that argue against keeping much music on an iPad.

Foremost in my estimation is that the iPad itself is physically too big to walk around with while listening to music. There is also the reality that the speakers aren't really good enough for decent listening. And then you have the argument that the smart iPad owner will reserve those precious gigabytes of storage for tasty Apps and multimedia (ie video) content.

In my mind, probably the biggest argument against keeping a lot of music on the iPad is Apple's own AirPlay technology. When you can use the iPad as a sort of "mega remote control" to play your entire iTunes library (stored on PC with virtually unlimited storage space) via an AppleTV connected to a decent stereo system - there isn't much need to keep music on the iPad.

I keep a very limited playlist (about 100 tracks) as an "emergency" resource, should I find myself stuck on a plane or other place where I don't have internet access.

19. peled macrumors member

peled

Have some for testing. Got lots of magazines

Magazines from all kind

20. ra4oasis macrumors 6502

ra4oasis

I do. I've got a 32 gig, and i take it to work every day and use it for music (plugged in to speakers). I use a smart playlist with a bunch of different variables, but basically it puts my most listened to 15ish gigs on the iPad, as well as new stuff. I use a similar smart playlist to keep roughly 7ish gigs on my iphone.

21. Blakjack macrumors 68000

Blakjack

22. bembol macrumors 65816

bembol

Strange.

I put Music on all my iDevices, even my Sony PlayStation 3 (250GB, Slim) has like a GB.

Reason? I like playing music while using Safari or other Apps like Zite.

Size makes no difference, obviously I wouldn't put all 10GB if I only had 16GB iDevice. This is why 32GB should be the standard/minimum for Apple.

My 64GB iPad 3G is what I rely/use the most, I sold my 32GB 3G touch and rarely use my 32GB iPhone 3GS.

23. M-5 macrumors 65816

M-5

I have all of my music on mine. But my entire music collection is only 630 songs, so why not?

24. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

I figure why not...I mean, if you have a smaller one or lots of video on it, I get not put music on it. But I tend to steam movies while keeping music saved on there(Netflix and Hulu Plus have more content than I could buy from iTunes.)

25. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

Neither do I. I stream music when I want to listen to some tunes.