I don't know how you New Yorkers do it....

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JMB1911, Sep 11, 2011.

1. JMB1911 macrumors regular

As far as handle the data speeds. I went there on business for a week a couple weeks ago, was my first time there. (very cool place btw)

Anyway, data was HORRIBLE 90% of the time. I could make calls and text just fine, but good luck on any data. I was amazed at how bad it was.

Is it always like that or did I just pick a bad week to go? :rolleyes:

2. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I don't really have "HORRIBLE 90%" issues when I'm in the city, or at least near the financial district.
    What part were you in?

3. JMB1911 thread starter macrumors regular

We stayed right in times square and went to some conventions at the hilton that was a few blocks away....

4. nyfliiboy macrumors regular

NYC does have data issues. I always experience periods where i cant even use data. Depends on the area though. Some areas are good and others are not

5. apollo1444 macrumors 65816

i went from guadalajara mexico to NYC i have a factory unlocked iphone 4 at&t speeds were amazing but I barely got higher than 3 bars in the whole damned city, and it dropped a lot of calls...

in mexico we don't have 3G that fast but you always get 5 bars in the whole country, in every city...

6. Tito Georgie macrumors 6502

Tito Georgie

I live in manhattan uptown near 207th street and my service is okay... I do get a lot of dropped calls tho.

7. cshearer macrumors regular

Well I'm glad I'm not the only one who has experienced this. A buddy of mine and I went to the Pride in May, and while we were trying to find out way out (we're not from around there), not only did I not have data, my iPhone and TomTom did not have a GPS signal.

It was actually quite funny, because while I was opening up the compass app on my phone, my friend was looking out the window looking for the north star.

8. zipster macrumors 6502

It's horrible. (I'm assuming everyone is talking about AT&T).

I work in NYC and data is pretty much garbage. I used to work in Times Square and had no reception in my office! Couldn't even text.

9. Snaaake! macrumors member

Times Square? Forgetabout it. And if you go in a stadium or large venue anywhere nearby, don't even bother.

10. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

My experience in Seattle was similar. Data speeds were about to make my cry.

11. bushman4 macrumors 68000

Not that ATT is anything worth talking about. However when going to any city, locations and surroundings always effect your signal. This is not only with ATT but Verizon as well.
    Apparently, service must be good enough to have millions of IPHONE users in NYC.

12. aphexacid macrumors 6502a

aphexacid

Its going to be like that in any large downtown area with huge buildings. handheld GPS devices just arent strong enough.
    They only GPS devices that will work are going to be the in car factory units that have external antennae.

Downtown Chicago is impossible to get a fix on. We have so many one way streets, its hard to plan which way you want to go around sometimes if you're driving, even though i used to live off of LSD, you cant remember it all. not gonna happen.

13. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I live in Manhattan on west 25th street and strangely enough I get good data speeds, but am constantly dropping calls.

14. msindt19 macrumors member

msindt19

I work in midtown on Park Ave, and I get full service and great 3G with my Verizon iPhone 4, but when I'm around the city there are tons of dead spots where my phone loses all service and data.

My girlfriend, however, has a 3GS with AT&T and she gets tons of dropped calls and her data is pretty bad all over the city.

15. ckurt25 macrumors 6502a

ckurt25

I've visited NYC a few times in the past couple of years and haven't had too big of a problem. Most of my time was in the East Village, near Central Park and MSG.

If you want to experience complete loss of data usage try a University of Michigan football game. The population of Ann Arbor doubles on game days and both Verizon and AT&T data is nearly impossible to come by.

I was at the old Yankee Stadium in 2007 and Citi Field in 2009 and had zero problems at either spot.

16. Vivaldi macrumors member

Live on West 85th near Amsterdam. Service is atrocious; I have to walk at least a block just to get an iota of network.