I don't know what's going on?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by DougiePhresh, Aug 7, 2011.

1. DougiePhresh, Aug 7, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2011

DougiePhresh macrumors newbie

Aug 7, 2011
    I am about 3 seconds from throwing my MacBook through the wall... It started with Preview, every time I opened one thing, it would open all of the ones I previously opened as well. Then it just kinda stopped. Now, I was using Microsoft Word 2008 to write a paper and I clicked on just the paper I wanted to write and about 10 other documents opened up along with it. This has only been happening since I upgraded to OS X Lion. Can anyone tell me what is happening and how to turn it off?
  2. ergdegdeg Moderator emeritus

Oct 13, 2007
    Go to System Preferences > General > Restore windows when quitting and re-opening apps and uncheck that.
  3. Jagardn macrumors 6502a

Apr 18, 2011
    Preferences>General>Restore Windows when quitting and re-opening apps
  4. gr8tfly macrumors 603

Oct 29, 2006
    ~119W 34N
    Try System Preferences > General. Uncheck "Restore windows when quitting and re-opening apps."
  5. Papanate macrumors regular

Jul 21, 2011
    North Carolina
    Why hasn't anyone suggested going to 'General. Uncheck "Restore windows when quitting and re-opening apps.'? <g>
  6. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

Jun 17, 2009
    Redford, MI
    Or you could just make sure to close the windows before you quit the program next time. It should only reopen the ones that you have open when you quit the program.
  7. DougiePhresh thread starter macrumors newbie

Aug 7, 2011
  8. meptik macrumors newbie

Mar 10, 2010
    The Netherlands
    One more option: you can quit applications with option-command-Q to explicitly Quit and Discard Windows.

If in general you don't like applications to retain windows, turning this behaviour off in System Preferences is probably your best option, though.