Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

iPhone 11 I don't like the centered Apple logo on the iPhone-11-series

StumpyBloke

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2012
England
So in order to not being called a troll I'm forced to first say many positive things about the iPhone when I'm new on the forums? Just WOW. Is this a religious cult?

I don’t agree with all the troll comments, and those members will, if history serves, be suspended soon enough, but I question what kind of response you thought your post would elicit?

You use the term ‘disgusted’ with wild abandonment on a phone. It is impossible to be genuinely disgusted by a phone. You go on to mention that people cannot see your Apple logo because it’s in the centre...this comment alone is going to get members’ heckles up (be it right or wrong): that you give the impression you are so desperate for attention you need the general public to see you have an iPhone as some kind of positive affirmation. Just an FYI, there is little to no prestige in owning an iPhone.

It goes without saying that you’re absolutely entitled to your opinion. But coming on to an Apple forum with your very first post listing many, many references to being disgusted by the most inconsequential of things and clambering for attention...it ain’t going to go down well. Maybe if you had used far fewer superlatives and tried to sound a bit more “less entitled”, for want of a better phrase, it may have gone down better? Just positing.

And is this place a religious cult? Sadly I wouldn’t give it that much credit sometimes (here comes my ban-hammer).

Last edited:

iPhone4Sforever

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 10, 2020
Maybe if you had used far fewer superlatives and tried to sound a bit more “less entitled”, for want of a better phrase, it may have gone down better? Just a thought.

I may have chosen inappropriate phrases and words, yes. I'm not native English or American and don't speak English very well. I looked up the phrase "disgusted" in the dictionary before using it. In fact I have to look up many words because my vocabulary is very limited. I didn't know "disgusted" is such a strong phrase. But it's true that I tend to get exaggerated about things I care about.

Reactions: StumpyBloke

StumpyBloke

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2012
England
I may have chosen inappropriate phrases and words, yes. I'm not native English or American and don't speak English very well. I looked up the phrase "disgusted" in the dictionary before using it. In fact I have to look up many words because my vocabulary is very limited. I didn't know "disgusted" is such a strong phrase. But it's true that I tend to get exaggerated about things I care about.

Maybe ‘disappointed’ would have been a better word

Anyway, moving on...

LonestarOne

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2019
McKinney, TX
I think the iPhone 9s was the epitome of Apple development, in terms of design and features. I’m outraged that Apple discontinued the photic sonar after just one iteration and is now trying to replace it with the lame lidar. I’m going to have to buy a Sony phone instead.

iPhone4Sforever

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 10, 2020
1st world problems.

Steve Jobs and Tim Cook had a one hour long discussion about how the "iPhone 3GS" should be called, what typography should be used for the letters "GS" and if they should be written in italic or not (taken from the Steve-Jobs-biography written by Walter Isaacson). Where is this enthusiasm for design detail today?

TechLord

Cancelled
Apr 28, 2020
Steve Jobs and Tim Cook had a one hour long discussion about how the "iPhone 3GS" should be called, what typography should be used for the letters "GS" and if "GS" should be written in italic or not (taken from the Steve-Jobs-biography written by Walter Isaacson). Where is this enthusiasm for design detail today?
And how do you know there wasn't in-depth, enthusiastic discussions when deciding to have a centred apple logo? I like the apple logo in the centre, this is all subjective.

Tsepz

macrumors 68040
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
Note: The following statements are my personal opinion.

I don't like the centered Apple logo on the iPhone-11-series. My fingers obscure the logo partially or even wholly, depending on how I hold the device. The logo is no longer visible to other people around me. This did not happen when the logo was in the upper half of the device. Even if I didn't care about the people around me seeing my phone it still doesn't look as nice, clean and well balanced as before. The centered logo is just bad design.

They centered it because of the ginormous camera bump. Don't get me even started on the monstrosity which is the bump itself, the phone should be flush. But the bump on the iPhone-11-series with its two and three lenses looks like spreading cancer. This isn't even funny anymore. I feel more like crying when I see what the iPhone design has become in all these years since the perfectly designed iPhone 4S.

- I was disgusted when Apple released the too big, too thin, prone-to-bend-and-scuff-aluminum-design with the hideous two-toned back on the iPhone 5.

- I was disgusted when Apple released the hideous Touch-ID-ring around the home button on the iPhone 5S. On a golden iPhone it looks like a gold tooth in the mouth of a russian grandma.

- I was disgusted when Apple released the iPhone-6-series with its even thinner hideous rounded design and hideous camera bump and antenna lines. I always made fun of Samsung phones with their ugly camera bumps, and then Apple did it. I was in shock!

- I was disgusted when Apple released the iPhone-7-series. Still hideous antenna lines and the camera bump looks like a fat pimple on the face of a teenager. In comparison the bump on the iPhone-6-6S-series and iPhone-8-series looked way better.

- I was disgusted when Apple released the iPhone X with the hideous display notch, even worse camera-bump-monstrosity and the prone-to-visible-fingerprints shiny steel frame. The stainless steel frame on the iPhone 4S was matte.

And now the centered Apple logo. I can't stand this design nonsense anymore. They should have stayed with only one single camera lens and left the logo where it was.

My favourite iPhone designs of all time (on white devices fingerprints are less visible):
1) iPhone 4S in white
2) iPhone 8 in gold
3) iPhone XR in white

The iPhone XR is the end of the line for me. I will have to go back to a dumb phone or stick with an older iPhone and just use it for phone and SMS function.

iPhones are still the best phones out there, the competition is irrelevant. But good design is very important to me. What happened to good design? How is it possible that a company gets worse than it once was? A company is supposed to get better with each product it releases, not worse.

I will watch the iPhone-12-keynote, try it out in the Apple store and see if I may fall in love with iPhone again.

End of rant from a true iPhone devotee. iPhone 4S forever.

Get another phone brand, it sounds like Apple is not for you anymore.

eyoungren

macrumors Core
Aug 31, 2011
ten-zero-eleven-zero-zero by zero-two
It's one thing to have an opinion and express it here, even what others may perceive as a negative opinion. It's a different matter entirely to create a thread centered around a negative opinion.

I strongly dislike the fugly camera bump on the iPhone and it has gotten worse with every model from the iPhone 6 on. By now, everyone here knows my opinion. Everyone here also know I hate using cases.

But I don't go around creating threads on the subject. It might have been better to create a thread about how much you love the design of the 4s. There are a serious amount of people on this forum that like the design of that iPhone (I am not one of them) and you would have caught all those users coming in to express the exact same love about that model of iPhone.

Talk about what you love.

DumbPhone

macrumors 6502
Sep 6, 2020
I don’t agree with all the troll comments, and those members will, if history serves, be suspended soon enough, but I question what kind of response you thought your post would elicit?

You use the term ‘disgusted’ with wild abandonment on a phone...a bloody phone! It is impossible to be genuinely disgusted by a phone. You go on to mention that people cannot see your Apple logo because it’s in the centre...this comment alone is going to get members’ heckles up: that you are so desperate for attention you need the general public to see you have an iPhone as some kind of affirmation for something else that is desperately from your life. Just an FYI, there is little to no prestige in owning an iPhone.

Again, I question your intention with your post. It goes without saying that you’re absolutely entitled to your opinion. But coming on to an Apple forum with your very first post listing many, many references to being disgusted by the most inconsequential of things and clambering for attention...it ain’t going to go down well. Maybe if you had used far fewer superlatives and tried to sound a bit more “less entitled”, for want of a better phrase, it may have gone down better? Just positing.

And is this place a religious cult? Sadly I wouldn’t give it that much credit sometimes (here comes my ban-hammer).
Why so sensitive and unstable? If it were me, then I would most likely need to visit a doctor for the mind for letting myself get taken personally on virtually an anonymous forum. 555!!

eyoungren

macrumors Core
Aug 31, 2011
ten-zero-eleven-zero-zero by zero-two
Get another phone brand, it sounds like Apple is not for you anymore.
This is an old and tired comment that has long outlived its use on MacRumors. It's an opinion designed to devalue other people by shutting them up while shielding the commenter themselves from any criticism in expressing it. It's a parasitic thing that thrives on the vocal support of others, thus justifying the original commenter in using it.

OP presented their opinion badly, but having a different opinion than everyone else doesn't mean we get to decide what is or is not for them.

Last edited:
Reactions: StumpyBloke

ericwn

macrumors 603
Apr 24, 2016
I don't blindly swallow everything Apple does. I care about the iPhone and its design. This makes me a real devotee.

So in order to not being called a troll I'm forced to first say many positive things about the iPhone when I'm new on the forums? Just wow. Is this a religious cult?

Most people don’t blindly swallow things, no matter what. It’s nice that you think of yourself as being somehow a special customer, and yes you are, in the unique wat that you despise everything and call that being devote.

Your main devotion is being upset and despised. Thanks for the chuckle.

Your other main personal reason for devotion seems to be what others think of you.

ericwn

macrumors 603
Apr 24, 2016
I think the iPhone 9s was the epitome of Apple development, in terms of design and features. I’m outraged that Apple discontinued the photic sonar after just one iteration and is now trying to replace it with the lame lidar. I’m going to have to buy a Sony phone instead.

Only if the logo is nicely visible to others.

Reactions: Vlad Soare

Tsepz

macrumors 68040
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
This is an old and tired comment that has long outlived its use on MacRumors. It's an opinion designed to devalue other people by shutting them up while shielding the commenter themselves from any criticism in expressing it. It's a parasitic thing that thrives on the vocal support of others, thus justifying the original commenter in using it.

OP presented their opinion badly, but having a different opinion than everyone else doesn't mean we get to decide what is or is not for them.

Nothing wrong with what I said, he clearly does not like where Apple is headed, why continue to be disgusted with one brand when there are so many other options out there to choose from?

I for example left Sony when I didn’t like where they were headed, why continue putting myself through the pain when I can see they are not going where I want them to.

As you said, it’s an opinion, OP can take it or leave it, but there are other options out there that could satisfy OP. Sounds like you took my comment a little too personally.

Reactions: ericwn

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors G4
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
It’s not something I would lose sleep over or get worked up about in all honesty.

I don't like the centered Apple logo on the iPhone-11-series. My fingers obscure the logo partially or even wholly, depending on how I hold the device. The logo is no longer visible to other people around me. This wasn't the case when the logo was in the upper half of the device. Even if I didn't care about the people around me seeing my phone it still doesn't look as nice, clean and well balanced as before. The centered logo is just bad design.

Why do you want people around you to see what phone you are using if you don’t mind me asking?

Veerasayz

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2020
Edit: Changed the strong phrase "disgusted" to "disappointed" and other changes

Note: The following statements are my personal opinion.

I don't like the centered Apple logo on the iPhone-11-series. My fingers obscure the logo partially or even wholly, depending on how I hold the device. The logo is no longer visible to other people around me. This wasn't the case when the logo was in the upper half of the device. Even if I didn't care about the people around me seeing my phone it still doesn't look as nice, clean and well balanced as before. The centered logo is just bad design.

They centered it because of the ginormous camera bump. Don't get me even started on the bump itself, the phone should be flush. But the bump on the iPhone-11-series with its two and three lenses looks like spreading cancer. This isn't even funny anymore. I feel more like crying when I see what the iPhone design has become in all these years since the perfectly designed iPhone 4S.

- I was disappointed when Apple released the too big, too thin, prone-to-bend-and-scuff-aluminum-design with the not so clean looking two-toned back on the iPhone 5.

- I didn't like the Touch-ID-ring around the home button on the iPhone 5S. On a golden iPhone it looked like a gold tooth in the mouth of a russian grandma.

- I was disappointed when Apple released the iPhone-6-series with its even thinner rounded design and ugly camera bump and antenna lines. I always made fun of Samsung phones with their camera bumps, and then Apple did it. I couldn't believe it!

- I was disappointed when Apple released the iPhone-7-series. Still ugly antenna lines and the camera bump looked like a pimple on the face of a teenager. In comparison the bump on the iPhone-6-6S-series and iPhone-8-series looked way better.

- I was disappointed when Apple released the iPhone X with the ugly display notch, even worse camera bump and the prone-to-visible-fingerprints shiny steel frame. The stainless steel frame on the iPhone 4/4S was matte.

My favourite iPhone designs of all time (on white devices fingerprints are less visible):
1) iPhone 4S in white
2) iPhone 8 in gold
3) iPhone XR in white

Seems like the iPhone XR is the end of the line for me. I will have to go back to a dumb phone or stick with an older iPhone and just use it for phone and SMS function.

iPhones are still the best phones out there, the competition is irrelevant. But good design is very important to me. What happened to good design? How is it possible that a company gets worse than it once was? A company is supposed to get better with each product it releases, not worse.

I will watch the iPhone-12-keynote, try it out in the Apple store and see if I may fall in love with iPhone again.

End of rant from a true iPhone devotee. iPhone 4S forever.

Go and buy iPhone SE 2. There will be only one camera and you won’t get disgusted.

EM2013

macrumors 68020
Sep 2, 2013
Steve Jobs and Tim Cook had a one hour long discussion about how the "iPhone 3GS" should be called, what typography should be used for the letters "GS" and if they should be written in italic or not (taken from the Steve-Jobs-biography written by Walter Isaacson). Where is this enthusiasm for design detail today?
Was going to comment that all op was missing was a “steve jobs would never allow this” but this is close enough.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.