Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

iPhone 11 I don't like the centered Apple logo on the iPhone-11-series

GrumpyMom

macrumors G3
Sep 11, 2014
Edit: Changed the strong phrase "disgusted" to "disappointed" and other changes

Note: The following statements are my personal opinion.

I don't like the centered Apple logo on the iPhone-11-series. My fingers obscure the logo partially or even wholly, depending on how I hold the device. The logo is no longer visible to other people around me. This wasn't the case when the logo was in the upper half of the device. Even if I didn't care about the people around me seeing my phone it still doesn't look as nice, clean and well balanced as before. The centered logo is just bad design.

They centered it because of the ginormous camera bump. Don't get me even started on the bump itself, the phone should be flush. But the bump on the iPhone-11-series with its two and three lenses looks like spreading cancer. This isn't even funny anymore. I feel more like crying when I see what the iPhone design has become in all these years since the perfectly designed iPhone 4S.

- I was disappointed when Apple released the too big, too thin, prone-to-bend-and-scuff-aluminum-design with the not so clean looking two-toned back on the iPhone 5.

- I didn't like the Touch-ID-ring around the home button on the iPhone 5S. On a golden iPhone it looked like a gold tooth in the mouth of a russian grandma.

- I was disappointed when Apple released the iPhone-6-series with its even thinner rounded design and ugly camera bump and antenna lines. I always made fun of Samsung phones with their camera bumps, and then Apple did it. I couldn't believe it!

- I was disappointed when Apple released the iPhone-7-series. Still ugly antenna lines and the camera bump looked like a pimple on the face of a teenager. In comparison the bump on the iPhone-6-6S-series and iPhone-8-series looked way better.

- I was disappointed when Apple released the iPhone X with the ugly display notch, even worse camera bump and the prone-to-visible-fingerprints shiny steel frame. The stainless steel frame on the iPhone 4/4S was matte.

My favourite iPhone designs of all time (on white devices fingerprints are less visible):
1) iPhone 4S in white
2) iPhone 8 in gold
3) iPhone XR in white

Seems like the iPhone XR is the end of the line for me. I will have to go back to a dumb phone or stick with an older iPhone and just use it for phone and SMS function.

iPhones are still the best phones out there, the competition is irrelevant. But good design is very important to me. What happened to good design? How is it possible that a company gets worse than it once was? A company is supposed to get better with each product it releases, not worse.

I will watch the iPhone-12-keynote, try it out in the Apple store and see if I may fall in love with iPhone again.

End of rant from a true iPhone devotee. iPhone 4S forever.
Well, I can’t really say I disagree with some of your complaints. I use a pop socket on one of my clear cases and it covers the Apple logo. The Apple logo is pretty and I do miss seeing it when it is covered up. On the other hand, now it is easier to know where to center the pop socket! 😆. And clearly, being a barbarian who uses Pop Sockets, I’m the wrong person to critique iPhone design!

But I will say, from a functional standpoint, that my 11 Pro is my first iPhone for which I find it almost impossible to keep the lenses clean. I used to have this problem with my HTC 10’s single camera lens and it was so annoying that I retired that phone earlier than I really wanted to.

I have noticed a hazy look to a lot of the photos my husband has been taking and have to keep reminding him to wipe down his camera lenses, too. And even when I do wipe them down the ring around the lens still often looks dirty. It’s very hard to clean.

So I do think this design could use some refinement. But I do value the versatility that having multiple lenses offers, so I do not want to go back to one lens just so the iPhone looks better. I think Apple can refine the large camera multi-bump eventually.

I’m looking forward to seeing what the iPhone 12 redesign offers. I’m planning on keeping my 11 Pro, though. It is clunky but it works well.

The iPhone 4/4s was my favorite, too, for years. But I recently looked at one my husband kept, and though the back and sides are beautiful, so much of the front is taken up by bezels that it looks so odd to me now. I’m happy to have moved on.

Maetzle

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2014
People caring about the logo of their expensive piece of technology being visible... smh.

iPhone4Sforever

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 10, 2020
Your main devotion is being upset and despised. Thanks for the chuckle.

My main devotion is good design. In former times the iPhone had a better design than today.

Why do you want people around you to see what phone you are using if you don’t mind me asking?

I'm proud of being an iPhone user and I like showing it to others. I love the iPhone because I think it is the best phone out there. And still with the best design, despite the design flaws I have mentioned (the design of the competition phones often is even worse). I have no need to show the logo, I would be fine if there was no logo at all. But when I tried out the iPhone-11-series in the Apple store (I don't own one) I noticed that my fingers obscure the logo partially, sometimes wholly. This doesn't look as clean and well balanced as before when the logo was in the upper half of the device. At that point I realized that the position of the logo is important to me and that I like it being visible to others. On prior iPhones this hadn't been an issue and therefore I never thought about it.

I don't want to switch to another brand. I will have to settle in and accept the iPhone as it is now. Thanks for suggesting the iPhone SE second generation, I will consider that.

Last edited:

Lwii2boo

macrumors regular
May 12, 2020
Paris, France
My main devotion is good design. In former times the iPhone had a better design than today.

I'm proud of being an iPhone user and I like showing it to others. I love my iPhone because I think they are the best phones out there. And still with the best design, despite the design flaws I have mentioned (the design of the competition phones often is even worse). I have no need to show the logo, I would be fine if there was no logo at all. But when I tried out the iPhone-11-series in the Apple store (I don't own one) I noticed that my fingers obscure the logo partially, sometimes even wholly. This doesn't look as clean and well balanced as before when the logo was in the upper half of the device. At that point I realized that the position of the logo is important to me and that I like it being visible to others.

You buy an iPhone for yourself and what the product can give you daily and not to please others with a logo. Are you trolling ?
Fanboys are scary

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors G4
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I'm proud of being an iPhone user and I like showing it to others. I love my iPhone because I think they are the best phones out there. And still with the best design, despite the design flaws I have mentioned (the design of the competition phones often is even worse). I have no need to show the logo, I would be fine if there was no logo at all. But when I tried out the iPhone-11-series in the Apple store (I don't own one) I noticed that my fingers obscure the logo partially, sometimes even wholly. This doesn't look as clean and well balanced as before when the logo was in the upper half of the device. At that point I realized that the position of the logo is important to me and that I like it being visible to others. On prior iPhones this hadn't been an issue.

I don't want to switch to another brand. I will have to settle in and accept the iPhone as it is now. Thanks for suggesting the iPhone SE second generation, I will consider that.
I think you are putting way too much thought into this. Nobody is looking at you and scrutinising the fact they can’t see the Apple logo on the back of your iPhone mate. This is one of the wackier threads I read on here lol.

Lsmachado

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2018
Texas

I'm proud of being an iPhone user and I like showing it to others. I love the iPhone because I think it is the best phone out there. And still with the best design, despite the design flaws I have mentioned (the design of the competition phones often is even worse). I have no need to show the logo, I would be fine if there was no logo at all. But when I tried out the iPhone-11-series in the Apple store (I don't own one) I noticed that my fingers obscure the logo partially, sometimes even wholly. This doesn't look as clean and well balanced as before when the logo was in the upper half of the device. At that point I realized that the position of the logo is important to me and that I like it being visible to others. On prior iPhones this hadn't been an issue and therefore I never thought about it.

Well, you could always order a T-shirt that says “I am a proud iPhone owner and user, but you can’t tell because the logo is in the wrong place”. Then anyone who can read while you’re out in public will know that you own an iPhone. 😁

Reactions: The-Real-Deal82

Thoradin

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2020
Yorkshire, England
The moving of the logo was necessary, if it stayed on the upper part of the rear it would look ridiculous with the new camera design.
Where the logo is now, it is totally in sync with the rear and to my mind looks well thought out.
The SE 2020 didn’t have to move the logo, but to leave it in the old position would have caused continuity issues and the SE would have been perceived as an older device. This would essentially devalue the phone in the mind of purchasers, not that any of us would think about that ourselves but the design team most definitely will have.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.