Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sosab123

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 12, 2014
I have a nice case for my phone but I simply don't like using it.

I can't find myself appreciating it completely. i understand we all paid a great deal for these phones and repairs arent cheap. But think of all the millions that have gone into its design. And then we just cover it up with fake leather plastic and polycarbonate.

As long as you aren't careless and look after your phone you can't destroy it. thats just my opinion.

Many people claim its slippery but I don't see how I think a large part of this conception is how people hold it I generally cradle my phone. When I'm one handing it I always keep my pinky cradled underneath with my thumb and fingers applying a solid grip.

I also don't place it on rough surfaces or anything it i do I generally place It ontop of a paper napkin or something to prevent scratches.

I feel I'm just not gonna use a case on this one.

Americasteam

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2014
Same here. I never use a case. I absolutely hate the way they look. Like you, mine sits on something soft. Always.

azhava

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2010
Arizona, USA
To each their own. If I didn't have a case on my phone, it wouldn't take more than a couple weeks for it to look like I dragged it down a gravel road behind my truck. It goes to a lot of wet, dirty, dusty and bumpy places. Without a case, I'd be left "appreciating" a beautifully designed paperweight. I couldn't care less how it looks with the case - I'm into function, not aesthetics. It's nothing but a phone to me, and if I want it to keep working as a phone, it has to live in a case.

Sosab123

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 12, 2014
To each their own. If I didn't have a case on my phone, it wouldn't take more than a couple weeks for it to look like I dragged it down a gravel road behind my truck. It goes to a lot of wet, dirty, dusty and bumpy places. Without a case, I'd be left "appreciating" a beautifully designed paperweight. I couldn't care less how it looks with the case - I'm into function, not aesthetics. It's nothing but a phone to me, and if I want it to keep working as a phone, it has to live in a case.
You might want to invest into a Nokia..

azhava

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2010
Arizona, USA
You might want to invest into a Nokia..
No thanks. This is my 4th iPhone and they've all survived just fine in either Otterbox or Lifeproof cases. When Nokia makes a phone that runs iOS, works as well as the iPhone and is waterproof, dustproof and shockproof I'll get right on that.

FieldingMellish

Suspended
Jun 20, 2010
In time, life gets in the way between an owner and his fascination with a phone, to the point where concentration is elsewhere. It is at those moments where you're most susceptible to let it slip and fall. If and when it does, it could be a short drop and bounce. Or it might take the form of leaving your grasp with velocity, where such energy sees your phone catapult and careen among rough and hard surfaces, say, in a busy spot among trampling passersby who are as equally in a rush as you are.

cababah

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
SF Bay Area, CA
I don't really like using a case either but they have served their purpose well. Just last night my 6+ took a spill while getting out of the car and the Apple Leather case has quite a few scuffs on it now...but that's what cases are for :cool:

Sosab123

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 12, 2014
In time, life gets in the way between an owner and his fascination with a phone, to the point where concentration is elsewhere. It is at those moments where you're most susceptible to let it slip and fall. If and when it does, it could be a short drop and bounce. Or it might take the form of leaving your grasp with velocity, where such energy sees your phone catapult and careen among rough and hard surfaces, say, in a busy spot among trampling passersby who are as equally in a rush as you are.

That's true but you have to train your self to watch your phone subconsciously. For example leaving it in your lap is a big no no. And if you have it in your pockets before getting into a car and you know it will slide out then hold it.

FieldingMellish

Suspended
Jun 20, 2010
That's all well and good, but you take your lumps as they occur in an absent-minded moment. I rocked a Cadaub Veil with my old 5S and eventually I had to get the phone replaced under Applecare +, it was that banged up. The kicker was when my earphone port was dented into an oval and unable to accept the earphone plug.

cababah

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
SF Bay Area, CA
That's true but you have to train your self to watch your phone subconsciously. For example leaving it in your lap is a big no no. And if you have it in your pockets before getting into a car and you know it will slide out then hold it.

That's easier said than done. All it takes is one mistake to permanently damage your phone which puts a lot of pressure for one to always actively think about the phone's location subconsciously.

I wish my life was simple enough to allow something like that.

azhava

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2010
Arizona, USA
That's easier said than done. All it takes is one mistake to permanently damage your phone which puts a lot of pressure for one to always actively think about the phone's location subconsciously.

I wish my life was simple enough to allow something like that.
I'd much rather have the freedom to place my phone wherever I please without having to worry about putting a napkin underneath it or setting it on a soft surface. My life doesn't consist of being in places where soft surfaces and napkins are always readily available, and I'm far beyond the age where I consider a phone trendy/artsy or feel the need to make sure everybody else can see what phone I'm using. It's not an art object or a status symbol to me, it's nothing more than another device which serves a certain purpose. To serve that purpose in a way that suits my needs, it has to be in a case which offers substantial protection. I'm sure I could get by without it, but the inconveniences it would detail would far outweigh the benefits. I have no compelling reason not to use a case and many compelling reasons why I should. I don't sit around fondling and admiring my phone (case or no case), and I couldn't care less if anybody else knows I'm carrying an iPhone and/or what they think of it (or me).

Like I said, to each their own. If one's environment consists of going from home to school/their cubicle at work to the local Starbucks and back home, then I can see where they could get by with a 'naked' phone. It just doesn't work for me.

FieldingMellish

Suspended
Jun 20, 2010
A phone I once loved was one of the old Motorola Startacs. It was beautiful and rugged as all get out. There were no cases for these things; there was no need for it. They took a licking and were none the worse for wear. It was Apple that decided a phone had to be of glass and aluminum, beautiful, yes, but completely inappropriate, given the mandate expected of a small portable device known to be exposed to a wide range of conditions.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Fake leather? Apple's cases aren't made from fake leather. Regardless, I need more grip. Couple other companies out there that make genuine leather cases too. It's that simple. A case is as functional to me as it is aesthetic. I hapoen to also like the way leather looks especially as it ages.

I also never quite understood the "you don't need a case if you're careful" sentiment. I shouldn't need a lot of things if I'm careful. But many of the precautions I take in life are not strictly because of me, rather because of others that I come in close proximity with on the daily.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota

Very true. Handling the iPhone naked is an acquired skill.

JHUFrank

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2010
I very much considered going naked on my iphone, but ended up getting the apple leather case. I was out looking at iphone 6+ cases for giggles, and they are frigging HUGE! I couldn't believe it.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
I do not have time to find a napkin when I need to lay my phone down. It is a tool to me and what allowed me to get out of the office to visit customers and stay in touch. A naked iPhone is way to slippery for my tastes and I just don't have time to worry about it.

I get likely 50+ calls, even more email and texts and I need a phone I can grab and get work done.

upnorth85

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2011
MN, USA
I am a bit sloppy and know it will drop. The new phones have super high finishes and are thus even more slippery. I always use a case on a phone. In this case i use an Apple case. I never bought the iPhone 6+ for the aesthetics, i bought it for the functionality. As an Engineer, i have always been biased towards functionality. I do prefer a lighter case though, again for functional reasons. Apple's original case is great.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
I am a bit sloppy and know it will drop. The new phones have super high finishes and are thus even more slippery. I always use a case on a phone. In this case i use an Apple case. I never bought the iPhone 6+ for the aesthetics, i bought it for the functionality. As an Engineer, i have always been biased towards functionality. I do prefer a lighter case though, again for functional reasons. Apple's original case is great.

I am not sloppy, it is slippery as heck and I have fumbled it although I never dropped it.

Much easier to hold unto and use it one handed with a case. I have never fumbled it since and it will not be removed and I was never one who cared for cases.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.