Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
I have a nice case for my phone but I simply don't like using it.

I can't find myself appreciating it completely. i understand we all paid a great deal for these phones and repairs arent cheap. But think of all the millions that have gone into its design. And then we just cover it up with fake leather plastic and polycarbonate.

As long as you aren't careless and look after your phone you can't destroy it. thats just my opinion.

Many people claim its slippery but I don't see how I think a large part of this conception is how people hold it I generally cradle my phone. When I'm one handing it I always keep my pinky cradled underneath with my thumb and fingers applying a solid grip.

I also don't place it on rough surfaces or anything it i do I generally place It ontop of a paper napkin or something to prevent scratches.

I feel I'm just not gonna use a case on this one.
I'd really love to use it naked, but I'm too afraid to ruin it unintentionally.
I'm going to put a very thin rear cover or an original Apple cover on it, as soon as the stores will open again.

cababah

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
SF Bay Area, CA
Apple Care is the only protection I need.

That's good but isn't the plan $100? And you only get 2 accidental replacements @ $80 each?

Plan enrollment cost = $100

Replacement 1 total plan cost = $180

Replacement 2 total plan cost = $260

Unlimited replacements for defective units*

So enjoy spending more money and having a scuffed up and dinged phone. Oh yeah, don't drop it more than twice :)

Kiimora

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2014
London UK
I have the Vaja Grip case in the perforated red leather with blue inner lining leather.

My 6+ looks regal in the case & I can't stop eyeing it like a#. The case fits snugly, the leather screams quality and utterly flawless. I know there have been a few disgruntled Vaja customers but am more than pleased with my purchase##

Hence for £699, the phone stays in the case; you just have to find a case that will not add extra bulk to the phone.

iososx

macrumors 6502a
Aug 23, 2014
USA
Agreed. Protecting a $1000 (for some) device that you rely on for 1-2 years is just plain retarded :rolleyes:

Even more retarded is Apple building a flimsy one thousand dollar phone. :)

But hey, they've got to make money one way or another.

cababah

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
SF Bay Area, CA
Even more retarded is Apple building a flimsy one thousand dollar phone. :)

But hey, they've got to make money one way or another.

Flimsy? Name one smartphone that won't get scratched, dinged, scuffed, bent, or the screen cracked from multiple drops onto Tarmac

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
Same here. I never use a case. I absolutely hate the way they look. Like you, mine sits on something soft. Always.

same...rocking the 6 Plus space gray caseless with Applecare+ on it and a ghost armor screen protector on it installed by the people at the kiosk w/ the heat box.

JWorld127

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2013
I only use a case when I am out of my house and somewhere where I feel it might fall or be in harms way. But other than that my 6+ is always naked and free. It feels to premium to have in a case all the time.

HAHAHA

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
I like using a case for my phone as I find it too slippery without one. YMMV.

Slippery AND thin. Not a good combo and I eventually relented and got a case. I bought the Plus off contract and that is not exactly chump change and I rather not be paranoid using the Plus. I could still drop it but much less of a chance now.

recklesslife85

Cancelled
Sep 17, 2012
Never used a case until I got the 6 Plus. Fact is it is way too slippery, and I honestly think Apple did that to sell more cases. I hate cases but the official leather one is rather nice.

mhdena

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2009
I think the people who start threads about not using a case want their school buddies to see their new phone.

Haven't fully developed their sense of identity, they get it from their phone.

Same as anybody talking about any color other than black or white.

I could care less if some random person knows what phone I use.

Ashtar

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2014
I think the people who start threads about not using a case want their school buddies to see their new phone.

Awfully presumptuous, aren't you? Many people like the feel of the phone as intended by the designer. There is nothing wrong with that. Implying that people who do not like to use a case, and then come to a forum about Apple products to talk about it are showing off is just silly. it also says more about you than it does them.

But I'll play. Since we are being presumptuous and all. I think the people who respond to threads about not using a case with comments like yours are just attention whores who haven't fully developed as an adult and seek to be jerks to other people to compensate.

Last edited:

stevemiller

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2008
Hate having a case on my 6, but I have no choice as the phone is physically uncomfortable and difficult to hold with it's shape and finish. :(

FieldingMellish

Suspended
Jun 20, 2010
Agreed. Impractical shape and finish. Yet it wins design awards. We've seen designer chairs that were recognized by judges, but were woefully inadequate to sit or lay down on for any length of time.

Meltdownblitz

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2010
I don't like using my 6+ with a case

I agree. I use my phone naked like many others. It is a bit slippery which is why I put a BSE full body skin on which adds just the amount of grip but still keeps it thin.

IMO my 6+ is big enough, adding a thick case to my phone takes the one handed usability away, with a really thin (0.3 in case) or just a BSE skin I am still able to enjoy my phone comfortably and not my iPad.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy

Same as anybody talking about any color other than black or white.

I could care less if some random person knows what phone I use.

You could still have it watched also with a transparent case on.

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
I've used mobile phones since the eighties. I've had every iPhone since they were released. My 6+ is the first one I got a case for. I find it too slippery and combined with the size I'm for the first time ever concerned about slipping it.

I did get a cheap see through case to tie me over which was ahem cheap and nasty. However I got an apple leather back only case and it fits like a glove and looks good and feels just right. Sure it is just a thin sliver of leather but it makes all the difference to me.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
I've used mobile phones since the eighties. I've had every iPhone since they were released. My 6+ is the first one I got a case for. I find it too slippery and combined with the size I'm for the first time ever concerned about slipping it.

I did get a cheap see through case to tie me over which was ahem cheap and nasty. However I got an apple leather back only case and it fits like a glove and looks good and feels just right. Sure it is just a thin sliver of leather but it makes all the difference to me.

Yep.
Pricey, but very beautiful.
It doesn't ruin my iPhone design.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 84
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.