I don't understand what just happened to my MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Zedsdead185, Mar 20, 2009.

1. Zedsdead185 macrumors 6502

Hi all, I'll keep this brief and easy reading. I have a 2.2ghz santa rosa 15" MBP, and just decided to give it a quick spin with onyx (latest version i may add). After checking the startup disk it said there was an error that needed repairing. Surely enough after a disk check in disk utility, it said the same thing.

So i dug out the Disks that came with my MBP and set about sorting the problem. First time i booted from the disk i pressed D accidently and so started up the hardware test. I thought why not now its booted up. Checked the extended test option and after an hour it said there was a problem with the hardware. all it gave me was this:

4SNS/1/40000000: Th1H

Of course this worried me, not only are the problems stacking up, but i haven't a clue what the heck it is. So I restarted and pressed C this time on bootup, and used disk utility to repair the startup disk. Only this time it said that it was fine and didn't need repairing. :confused: odd i thought, So decided to do the extended hardware test again. And this time, it said that my mac was fine and in good shape!:confused:

So now I'm back on the desktop, ran Onyx again and low and behold, its saying that everything is fine.

What on earth is going on? :confused::confused:
    If someone has any idea at what might be happening, then please comment. I really cannot afford for my only computer to suddenly break down.

2. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

i know this may be irritating but run everything one more time and if all comes back clear i would say you're good. but if not let us know what it says

3. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

I agree. Sometimes small flukes happen. Also, it's never bad to double check

4. Zedsdead185 thread starter macrumors 6502

ok then, will do the checks again when i next have time. Will reply back soon with results.

thanx for the instant response guys

5. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

after googleing that error code it seems that it's mostly associated with a fan/heat issue. your computer may have been running a little hot or the sensor was misreading

6. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Perhaps something is overheating which caused the error.

Running minimal system from optical disk probably allowed time for it to cool down.

7. Zedsdead185 thread starter macrumors 6502

Hmmm, well I've since done the tests all again and its saying that everything is fine again now. Even done the techtool deluxe test on it and that says its fine.

Sounds like it must have been an overheating issue like you guys mentioned. Though i've never known it happen before. Hopefully it was just a one off and hasn't done any damage.

Thanks for the help anyway guys, really appreciate it :). Will let you know in the future f it happens again

8. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

im glad its ok but i know how you feel. you see that one error msg and it makes you paranoid for a while. what i would do is run those test every once and a while. like maybe once a month.

9. redsteven macrumors 6502a

redsteven

Run apple hardware test, looped, over night. I believe it can catch things like fan problems that software like Disk Utility and Techtool Pro will not.

If the error shows up again, and if the computer is still under warranty (1 year since you bought it, or if you have applecare on it then it's still good) take it to an Apple Store. You don't want the fan dying on you when it's no longer under warranty.

Oh, and btw, if your computer fails the apple hardware test, you can recheck what the error code was by going to System Profiler (Apple Menu -> About This Mac -> More Info. Then under the "Hardware" heading in the sidebar, choose "Diagnostics"
    Note that this will only show error codes from the LAST TIME YOU RAN THE TEST. So if you run apple hardware test even once after you get the error, and this time it passes, then the error code will not be visible in System Profiler anymore.

EDIT: btw, to enable "looping" on the Hardware Test, just hit the "L" key on the keyboard. before you begin the test. This might enable it to catch an intermittent problem that it otherwise wouldn't.

10. Zedsdead185 thread starter macrumors 6502

Great! this is some very useful and helpful information. i'll definately give this a go tonight. I take it during its loop, if it does fail on one of the tests then it stops looping? otherwise how would i know if it has failed if it keeps looping the test? This may seem like a stupid question, but i'd just like a check this before i do these tests.

thanks mate

11. redsteven macrumors 6502a

redsteven

Yeah, it stops immediately after the first failure.

It won't blow itself up or anything :)