I don't understand why people think the battery is non-removable.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by fs454, Jan 6, 2009.

1. fs454 macrumors 65816

Seriously, its just no longer a big-ass latch and cover deal. Now you have to take the single-piece bottom off with four screws, and then the battery comes out after a few screws inside. It's not like the battery itself is molded into the logic board, it's just directly touching some contacts inside.

It's a 10 minute job at most to take it out, which to me is an awesome payoff for an 8 hour battery life.

I've never wanted a 17" notebook before this. My last 17 incher was a Dell XPS M170. Big, 10 pounds(12 with power brick, literally the size of a brick), hot, thick, and lasted 1.5 hours on a 9 cell battery.

2. nikhsub1 macrumors 68000

nikhsub1

I don't understand why you care what other people think? I mean, I've removed my logic board several times yet, that is not supposed to be doable by the user either. You bored or just like to hear yourself talk?

3. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

sure it can be replaced. as can any other component.

but its cannot be replaced by the user. or on the go. or without voiding the warranty.

4. nikhsub1 macrumors 68000

nikhsub1

2 out of 3 are incorrect. On the go, no doubt you can not do that. The other 2 are false. Fail.

5. Next Tuesday macrumors 6502a

Next Tuesday

So is the whole bottom going to be one piece? So You cant add ram or changed the hard drive without removing it all?

6. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

well where are you going to get another one if they're not for sale somewhere? apple is and will be in control of them for the time being.

and can you show me the document that says it will not void your warranty with apple. because opening the casing on any of their computers for a non-user serviceable part does indeed void the warranty.

7. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Who actually uses a second battery? My 15-inch MBP gets about 4 hours of life when I adjust the brightness and turn off Bluetooth. I've never been in a situation where a power outlet wasn't available somewhere. I get it on a LONG airline flight, but doesn't Apple sell some power adapter for that?

8. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I do.

Yeah, but business and first class is expensive.

9. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

I do.

Even in an age of readily available wifi on every corner power hasn't reached the point where we can stand under a beacon and our gadgets will absorb energy.

10. NATO macrumors 68000

NATO

I use a second battery for my MBP for long trips when approx 4hrs isn't enough before I can charge it. But I'd happily take a built-in battery which offers 8 hours rather than having to carry and swap the battery.

11. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

I use a second battery as well. Swapping the battery takes seconds. No big deal.

12. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

But knowing Apple [or rather not knowing] they overstate those claims.

13. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Yeah, I can't wait to see some real world tests on the battery life. It will be interesting to see how they stand up to Apple's claims.

14. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Actually, I think that applies to you more than him. At least he tried to explain that removing the bottom casing is

You......you just want to give people a hard time because nobody in the real world likes you.

They changed their testing methods ages ago, which is why they lowered the advertised battery life on some of their notebooks a while back. The battery life reported by Apple is still a tad bit higher than in reality, but not nearly as over-the-top as you believe, and not nearly as high as most other computer companies.

Now they even tell you how they tested their 17-inch. They didn't used to do that.

15. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Thats pretty accurate. Why would anyone get a 17 inch $3000 computer to do anything other than browse a few sites and edit some low-def text documents.

16. nikhsub1 macrumors 68000

nikhsub1

Can you show me the document that says it WILL void the warranty? I have a 17" MBP now. I have changed the HD twice, myself. I did not void the warranty. I also removed the logic board twice, myself. I did not void the warranty. It has been in for warranty work due to the dead GPU syndrome, my warranty was honored with no issue. Again, you are incorrect. What can happen is if you damage something while you are working on your machine, of course that is not going to be under warranty. The HD that is in my machine was not supplied by Apple so they will not warranty that either.

17. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

In 4-5 years time there will be third party alternatives & the warranty will be moot, I think that is a more realistic point of view.

I travel long haul frequently & certainly welcome the implementation of this technology. if a computer can manage to last 8 hours on battery for 3 years, frankly its a done deal, any more is a bonus.

Hauling extra batteries is just a PIA.

Q-6

18. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

From http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/17inch-battery/
    From http://www.apple.com/batteries/notebooks.html
    Apple's official stance is that hard drives (before the most current MBPs), logic boards, etc. are not user-serviceable parts. Replacing them yourself DOES void Apple's warranty. The fact that they let some get away with it from time to time doesn't change the fact that they CAN refuse warranty work on a user-modified unit. There are plenty of cases where people got away with it, and plenty of stories where they didn't.

19. Brad Trent macrumors member

You guys can be so jingoistic and short-sighted it makes me wanna scream!

".....Hauling extra batteries is a PITA?!!.....I've never been in a situation where a power outlet wasn't available somewhere.....My 15-inch MBP gets about 4 hours of life..."

Just because you might not have any issues with battery life or the need for extra batteries, just what makes you think the rest of the world might find this new move incredibly stupid?!! In the world I live in where photographers like myself are lucky if we can get 1.5-hours outta a battery because we shoot tethered and the computer powers the digital back, the lack of an extra battery makes buying the new 17" laptop impossible! And anybody using anything that uses the the firewire bus for power is gonna have the same issues.

This is another in a long line of Apple missteps that shows me they are far more interested in keeping amateurs, housewives and cappuccino-drinking college-student hippies happy 'cuz they sure don't dive a damn about working pros like myself who depend of them to keep up their end of the bargain!

BT in NYC

20. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

The documentation that came with my 2006 MBP corroborates this post. Opening the case does not void the warranty, but damage to internal components is not covered.

21. Teej guy macrumors 6502a

Most long flights these days even in cattle-class have power-outlets. If Air Canada's doing it, many others must be as well.

22. Warranty Voider macrumors 6502

If you were on a long airplane flight and had to swap the battery, you probably wouldn't be able to. Some really dumb person is gonna see you taking apart your computer and think you're a terrorist...

23. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Cappuccino anybody?
    [​IMG]

Q-6

24. frogger2020 macrumors regular

Who knows. Maybe Apple decided to solder the battery into the system.

25. suMMx macrumors regular

but if you really do get 8 hours of usage on a single charge why would you need to have a second battery? You can argue about this being a problem but you're getting 60% longer usage time which gives you almost as much as 2 batteries without any extra weight or baggage. It seems like a non-issue, especially if the battery is semi-easy to replace or with minimal to no charge to actually do it at the apple store.