I drool over MBPs daily...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jmack549, Jul 5, 2008.

1. jmack549 macrumors 6502

I want one so bad, but I can't afford it and don't want to get into debt in college. I have been trying to stay away from them so I don't think about it as much. I'm on vacation in New Orleans, and walked into Best Buy today, and they have a huge Mac setup. Ugh...dang that thing is beautiful.

Sorry, just had to get it off of my chest.

2. docal97 macrumors 6502a

docal97

don't get one until u can really afford it. It is a great machine, but it is not worth putting yourself in debt over. Do the smart thing, which isn't always what u really want to do.

3. Esrb99 macrumors member

Don't worry... I put myself into debt over it, as I got all my college payed for!!! I just put it on my student account at the university... so worth it!

4. marine610610 macrumors regular

Sell your body or your DNA once a week for 6 months.

Just kidding...dont get into debt man, not worth it.

5. crobbins macrumors 6502

Just save a few bucks each week somehow..you'll find you have money quicker than you think. It's the best way to get it and you'll be happy you didn't go into debt!

6. alexlovesmacs macrumors 6502a

if u like the design get a powerbook G4 used on craigslist or ebay for about $500-$1000

7. taylorwilsdon macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

Skip a meal a day for a year and you'll have enough for a Macbook Pro; and you'll be healthier (ish :rolleyes:)

8. akm3 macrumors 68020

Big kudos to you to not give into America's 'now now now!' culture. You would absolutely be mortgaging your financial future to go into debt for such a luxury item. Sacrifices like this now will allow you to win with money later. Take this from someone who had to climb out of a very, very deep debt hole - NOTHING (Except arguably a home and an education) is worth paying interest on.

9. rlm22b macrumors member

rlm22b

I put myself in a bit of a financial bind to get mine. I'm not in any debt, but I definitely have been feeling the sting in my pockets. I needed a new computer, though, and would not have been happy with anything else so I don't regret it.

10. lordthistle macrumors 6502

jmack549, don't worry. What shines is NOT necessarily gold.

I drooled over one for months and now I wish I could go back in time and take a Macbook.

thistle

11. !on macrumors member

yeah, you need to take a step back & ask yourself some questions like, do you actually have a need for it, would a macbook, or recon suffice, are you just craving it for it's shiny shiny factor.... i had to move from a shared pc as their space was filling up rapidly, wanted a mobile solution in the house AND outside, something with good space & power to run the things i wanna run, connect it into various setups i have at home & work etc etc... also beware the shiny shiny factor, tea-leaves (thieves) will do bad things to part you from your things when they cost this much. think about it.

was gonna take a macbook until i read about the plastic cracking. so now i have the lower-end mbp. shop around, there's some good deals, even look at custom spec... overall though, i would say, if you have need for it, it is a good exercise in future proofing yourself. providing you look after it.

12. Wireless Hero macrumors newbie

Go Refurbished

I too was drooling over MBP's for months..

I watched the Apple Store's refurbished site a couple of times a day.

It appears that they update the models and pricing multiple times a day.

Sometimes you can see on older generation 2.16Ghz model for $1299.

I myself just got my first Mac ever last week from the refurb store.

Paid $1699 for a 2.4Ghz w/ Multi-Touch..

Lovin it!!

13. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Nice find! That's what I'm paying for mine. New. I have my ways, though.

14. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Don't. MacBooks have moisture detectors in them and it will void the warranty.

15. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

lol I got into debt over mine but I use mine as my main rig, and having my machine be my main enclosure for all my important tasks (banking, medical, technical, work, programming, etc) the costs are nothing to me.

But if you are a less technical user than going into debt may be trivial for you.

16. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's OK, we understand. I drool over the MBP daily, too..... mine! :D

17. kashik macrumors regular

If you can't currently afford a MBP, don't get one. If you absolutely need a laptop, get a PC. They're far cheaper, higher-spec'd, but maybe not as sexy. If you put yourself into debt cause of looks, good luck!

18. thecartoonguy macrumors 6502a

thecartoonguy

Naw

I would say keep saving since the G4 is taking a step backwards when the same money can get you something a bit newer.

19. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I hate to say this, but if you have to keep thinking about this computer, get away from the Apple sites and all the computer set ups. Will only make you feel worse.

20. bc008 macrumors 68000

bc008

LOL.

Have you thought about donating plasma?

21. Csmitte macrumors 6502

Csmitte

LOL Awesome, I want to live vicariously through you.

22. bigp9998 macrumors regular

I know exactly how it is, only I broke and bought one.

The only problem is that once I buy one expensive electronic, I find another one that I want. Canon 40D? There goes another grand...

23. BradleyGaulden macrumors member

24. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

I'm dreaming about the Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III... :D:D:D

Almost within reach!!
    I said... 'almost!' just need to sell my limbs...

25. CJRhoades macrumors 6502

Had the same thing going on before I got mine. I almost sold my PowerBook just so I could get it a few weeks early but I waited. Glad I did to because I still use it everyday.