Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jorsuss

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 25, 2007
I was checking the phone if I got any calls or messages and I dropped it in the sink. I reached in and grabbed it right away but it was completely under water for a good 2 seconds. I wiped it off and turned it off right away. I tried to turn it back on and it just kept rebooting itself. I finally got it to turn off and then it would not go back on. I figured it was just wet still so I tried the rice trick and I let it sit outside in the sun to dry out. it turns out that the phone was completely drained of battery. I called pro care and finally got some juice in it and did a full restore. When everything was up and running again I noticed that the bottom half of the screen didn’t work. So I could not slide the bar to unlock the phone, which makes it virtually unusable. I went to the apple store and they are sending it away to get replaced or fixed. Now my question is how does it work with water damage? I’m pretty sure the water should have been dried up by now. I don’t care if I have to pay to get it fixed, I just don’t want to have to buy another $600 phone.

unity

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2005
Green Bay, WI
Leaving it in the sun may have done more damage than good.

If you drop a device in water, make sure it is turned off if still on and remove the battery - well, if you can.

Then let is sit for SEVERAL days. Just because it LOOKS dry does not mean it is, there are lots of places for water to sit.

Sorry it happened! If you are lucky, Apple may just replace it.

I wonder if there is a water-dot dye inside? Most phones have then, when it gets wet is changes to red or something.

amemoryoncelost

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2004
yeah, I've always been told, turn it off. Leave it off for at least a day and oddly enough, let it sit on top of the microwave for that day or longer...

trainguy77

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2003
Often when you turn electronic items back on it sometimes will fry components. So your best option is turn it off and leave it off for a couple days. I hope everything works out for you.

jecapaga

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2007
Southern California
Man that is awful. What a nightmare! I'm sorry that happened to you. I dropped my ipod in the gutter and it was completely dunked for about 2 seconds. I wiped it off and figured it was dead. Turned it on the next day after drying out and it worked. I was amazed.

robPOD

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2006
NZ
This really sucks, my iPod nano went through a full cycle in the washing a machine (thanks mom) but I let it dry out near a heater for a few days and it now works fine. The other week I was on my MB when I spilled my glass of water , some of which went on/under my keyboard and my MB started going nuts eg the num lock kept flashing etc, again I left my MB by a heater for a few days and now it still works. All I can say is that maybe you didnt let your iPhne dry out enough and it is worth a shot at getting it replaced.

woodbutcher

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2007
A great way to help the internals dry out is to place it in a sealed tupperware container with as many silica gel packets as you can find. They ship with electronic and machinery because they draw the moisture out of the air, and capture it in their cells. I have used this method on other cell phones and it works great.

meagain

macrumors 68030
Nov 18, 2006
Good idea.... I suspect you could get silica in some quantity at a Craft store such as Hobby Lobby.

diehardmacfan

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2007
definently let it dry for at least 4 days. Recently i spilt 8 oz of water on my ibook and i let it dry, and every day i tested it. But it did not turn on until the 4th day. Wait as long as possible, and it should be fine.

K-Funk

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2007
I feel your pain. The other day I spilled milk on my TV remote, and now it doesn't work. That's $10 I'll never see again!!

Seriously, though, that sucks. I hope you can get it fixed.

lofight

macrumors 68000
Jun 16, 2007
I feel your pain. The other day I spilled milk on my TV remote, and now it doesn't work. That's $10 I'll never see again!!

Seriously, though, that sucks. I hope you can get it fixed.

lol
i also spilled milk on my remote and i just toke a cloth and wiped it off then all the buttons did other functions then after a week it worked back but then it broke in 2 because i dropped it from too far...

vintagexsmiles

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2007
On saturday dropped my iphone in the toilet.. i'm retarded. I just tried replacing it by telling them that it just "turned off" but where the headphone sticks in theres a dot thats like silverish.. its hard to see but you have to look in the headphone hole. Half of that turned red.. letting them know it had been dropped in water. Should I even try drying it out? It turned on for a second when they plugged it in with some fire cord or something.. but I think its fried. This sucks.. what should i do?

synth3tik

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
You should have not turned it back on.

You may have been able to save it if you left it off for a few days. You also could have found some information online about how to disassemble the phone to allow it to fully dry out.

You maybe able to get Apple to replace it, but it may be hard/

dakooga

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2007
Did the same with a Nokia phone (had it in my pocket and jumped in a pool)...

Red dot inside showed the water contact.

I did as others have suggested, took the phone apart, left it by a window for a few days and voila, worked fine except for a few keys on the number pad which needed to be pushed quite hard - not relevant for this iphone forum but for completeness this was solved by taking it apart more and releasing the key membrane and drying it properly).

The only thing I would suggest is that this is fine for all components EXCEPT the battery. Solid state boards are usually ok if they dry quickly, the boards are lacquered a certain amount and most components are sealed against air anyway. Batteries are not sealed, the cells that make up the battery are simply housed inside a plastic container and they usually short quickly in the water especially salt water. Again not relevant for an iphone since for reasons known only to Apple there's no user serviceable parts besides the SIM tray :)

Which means in all likely hood, if you drop your iphone in the water...the phone might be fine if allowed to dry - although you can't take it apart so leave it somewhere dry and warm for more than a couple of days and even then you'll probably have moisture in the screen - but the in-accessible battery will be dead.

DaKooga

vintagexsmiles

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2007
Okay so I got it to turn on... the only problem is the bottom half of the touch screen doesnt work.. it even rings if you call it and the contact and picture comes up but I cant pick up. But when I go to turn it off the top half will slide. (OF COURSE!) can anyone help me? thanks.

Botts85

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2007
Has anyone though of white out??

Bleach turned the water detection paper on my sony back to white, however, with drying out for 3 days, luckily it didn't need service, the battery nor the phone. I took it wakeboarding by accident, it was submerged for a solid 30 seconds, though I think it knew it got wet and turned off for protection.

dakooga

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2007
@vintagexsmiles I guess that semi good news...not sure about your screen. Other platforms have some replaeable parts including the screen but I think the iPhone is both too young and not designed for that sort of servicing...

Don't know what anyone else thinks though..

Did the screen dry out completely or is it a big foggy sometimes - remember the days when you digital watch got water on the inside and how impossible it was to dry out...

~ DaKooga

lofight

macrumors 68000
Jun 16, 2007
one time there was a little beer on my gsm and my cellphone was drunken, no really , my cellphone did things on his own, when i wasn't pressing anything, i just waited some days and it was over.

zeemir

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2007
i lost my sim tray my iphone

i have 4gb iphone.i lost my sim tray any body help me where i gona buy sim tray.plz help me
:eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.