I dropped my iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by muirheadnw, Oct 30, 2008.

1. muirheadnw macrumors newbie

Well it happened, I dropped my 2 month old iPhone 3G. The glass shattered. This phone is my favorite toy. It broke my heart.

When I finally got to a person in iPhone support I was told that I would have to pay $299 to get it repaired. That is the price of a new one.

If you are unlucky enough to drop your iPhone, you have to buy a new one.

I was shocked.

I may be the only person in the world who did not know that if you are unlucky enough to drop your iphone you have to buy a new one.

You know that besides the loss of the phone until I get a replacement, I have to drive two hours to a Apple store to do this. This kills a day for me.

I feel like a fool.

2. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

I would like to think that you are the only one in the US (most people in other countries understand responsibly) but it is standard belief in the US that someone else is always responsible for any actions we take.

3. daisuke07 macrumors regular

If you had cell phone insurance you would only have to pay $50 to get ot replaced.

4. Kevlar macrumors 6502

Take it too an apple store, I actually took mine in yesterday and they replaced it no questions asked. My screen only had a slight crack which actually happened when I pressed on the screen. Hopefully they will do the same for you.

5. barkomatic macrumors 68040

That totally sucks, but accidents happen. By the way, $299 is *not* actually the cost to replace your iphone(assuming you are going to get the 16gb model) I've heard of people getting shattered glass repaired for much less--do a few searches on the forums and you might find a few options.

The price you'll pay will be $499--that's the unsubsidized price for a 16.

6. iBecks macrumors 6502

The OP has said that the glass is shattered, why would apple replace this, it's not a manufacturing defect, it was an accident/carelessness. The OP should either claim on insurance if they have it or bite the bullet and buy a new one.

7. muirheadnw thread starter macrumors newbie

This is not about responsibility.

I accept responsibility for my actions. It slipped out of my hand, fell less than 2 feet, the glass shattered. I have been EXTREMELY careful with my iPhone. I was shocked to discover that:

1. The iPhone is that fragile.

2. When the glass breaks you have to pay for a new one. (no repair is done, you have to replace it).

I would have gladly pay for a repair.

8. mcorf macrumors member

My nephew broke his and he was given the option of fixing his white phone or replacing it, both for $299.00 No brainer there.

9. Eric Isaacson macrumors 6502

I'm sorry to hear that you broke your Iphone, did you have a case on it? And if so what type of case?

Just curious.

Eric

10. DigMe macrumors 6502

$299 sounds pretty generous for a replacement price. Usually if you break something you have to just buy yourself a new one at full price and $299 is definitely cheaper than full price.

11. MacInTO macrumors 6502a

MacInTO

I dropped my iPhone twice on the first day that I got it. It was a warm day and my had was sweaty and it slipped out. By sheer luck, it landed on the plastic side both times. Once it skidded across the pavement.

I find the iPhone 3g a bit on the thin side to hold comfortably.

I got the Agent 18 eco shield - a hard plastic case that also protrudes in the front to protect the glass.

[​IMG]

12. Kevlar macrumors 6502

Kid infront of me at the store last night had the same thing, he dropped it smashed the screen. The genius offered to replace it for free as long as he bought a case for it.

Mine I chipped the corner of the screen, assuming I accidentally had some change in my pocket that got inside my case and against the screen, and then when I pressed cause a crack in the screen which isn't a defect either.

Both were replaced at the apple store without a fuss (other then the kid infront of me being asked to buy a case for his this time).

13. iBecks macrumors 6502

Kevlar - I think you and the Kid in front of you were very lucky, either that or Apple have changed their stance on repairing/replacing accidental damage to products.

I returned my iPhone after 24hrs for replacement, due to a charging problem and I was stood next a guy that had damaged his screen, he was told that Apple would not repair/replace accidental damage, they would only deal with manufacturing defects and faults.

Maybe a Kevlar case for an iPhone would be good ;)

14. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

If you paid with a credit card perhaps you have some sort of accidental damage policy. I'd check it out. Sorry about your phone.

15. Kevlar macrumors 6502

I totally agree I was lucky. But the fact is that this isn't the first time I have heard of the apple store replacing screens (aka giving a replacement unit) for free if you go in. Maybe it is just the person to person contact in the store, as apposed to over the phone. But if you had even a small chance to save $300 why not try? Haha What's the worse that can happen, the guy says 'no' you pay the money and instantly have a new replacement phone.

16. jemeinc macrumors 6502a

No it's not- they'll replace it for $299.. I'm looking to possibly go this route because of water damage. Which sort of sucks because the phone didn't actually get wet- crazy as that sounds.. Condensation got inside it somehow and it works but the power button doesn't work anymore.. You could literally see the camera lens fogged up.. Apple says there's no gaskets or anything for condensation to leak through so they won't replace it- which I suppose I can understand..

17. iMetalG5 macrumors 6502a

i've told this story so many times...

Friend had his 10 day old iPhone in an Incase Slider with no screen protector. He was walking down stairs and his phone rang. In a rush he was pulling the phone out out of his pocket. He pulled it out fast and flug it out of his hand :eek: (a toss) and it landed on concrete stairs and bounced down a whole flight. teeter tattering down. When he picked up his iPhone it was frozen. He had to do a shut down and attempted to restart it and it wouldn't boot up. He noticed a small crack in the glass near the home button. Incase Slider got a tad damaged with paint chipping/scuffed off on the back. Got home and put it under a light and noticed light scuff/scratch marks on the entire glass scren part. iPhone was able to boot up but the next day it would freeze up when he would try to access apps, phone, safari. So he knew something went wrong.

now i'm not going to explain it but he was able to exchange his iphone for a new one. After what happened he vowed to get a "monster" case. He didn't care. He tried a few and settled on what I have (Otterbox Defender). He said he now has peace of mind.

18. rarity macrumors regular

rarity

AT&T doesn't offer insurance on the iPhone.

19. Inukami macrumors 6502

Eww.. don't spend $300.

Go on eBay and pay $50 for a glass replacement and assemble it yourself.

20. icewing macrumors 6502

No, but other companies do, SquareTrade for one - note that SquareTrade will only do this within 30 days of buying your iPhone. Search the threads, some people have mentioned homeowner's, renter's insurance, and some coverage given by different credit cards.

21. pintnight macrumors 6502

The Apple Care Insurance does NOT cover broken glass.

22. TheConfuzed1 macrumors 6502a

The last I heard, the iPhone was excluded from AT&T's insurance program.

**Edit** I guess I got beaten to the punch... Multiple times.

23. daisuke07 macrumors regular

24. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

Next time you get one go to www.squaretrade.com and get a warranty on it. Check it out, ST is pretty good and worth it for an iphone.
    iPhone details are right on the front page of their site.

25. muirheadnw thread starter macrumors newbie

About the price. There is nowhere in the United States you can buy a iPhone for any other prices than $199 or $299. Until you can buy them at another price that is the price they are.

You have to buy a new one because the repair price is the same as the new price.

If a repair were actually being done, then the repair cost would be the same for both iPhones, it is not, you have to buy a new one at full price.

I wish that Apple would do repairs. From postings here many people have had broken glass or have known people with broken glass.