Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

harcosparky

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008
If it were mine, I would fix it myself but I like working with metal and challenges and that looks like a challenge.

I bet you could clamp that damaged end in a non-marring jawed vise of sorts and SLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWLY tighten up the vise applying a little pressure, let is set a bit to adjust, a little more pressure and so on.

Did I mention to do it SLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWLY???

Aluminum is somewhat maleable easy enough.

But there is still a danger of INTERNAL DAMAGE.

Obviously not electrical at this point but mechanical things may have snapped, like standoffs or even a small screw or two. Only disassembly could ascertain that for sure.

shelhed217

macrumors member
Mar 4, 2010
VA
I can't believe you were able to bend it back, i had a somewhat similar bump on a 2010 and just couldnt put it back, but the ports all still worked. Kudos!

Jmouse

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2011
Totally understand how you feel man, Specially with cosmetics.

Buy a 17" that will make you happy. Thats what it matters.

Worry about the rest later.

Randizzledante

macrumors regular
May 21, 2011
So I use this backpack that has a slot for my laptop and camera storage compartments. I had forgotten to zip it up, and when i slung the backpack over my shoulder, my MacBook Pro went flying out of the slot and onto my driveway.

This exact same thing happened to me the other day with a bag of Togo's sandwiches. I'm glad I'm not alone!

randomrazr

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2011
What Apple essentially did in designing the unibody was make out-of-pocket repairs cost more money.

Perhaps there's a reason certain types of equipment should be built using more than one section. ;)

I read the keyboard is also much more expensive to replace as well. Three years ago, I broke 2 keys on my keyboard (my fault) and it cost around $150 (USD equivalent at the time) to get a new keyboard from Apple and have it installed. I'd hate to ask what a new keyboard would cost today.

best buy quoted about 300 dollars to replace the keyboard, incldiing the keys and the logic board thing under the keys

jonnysods

macrumors G3
Sep 20, 2006
There & Back Again
Dude that's awful. I watched my boss' laptop slide off a pile of bags he put it on to type an email before we headed for the airport. Just after I told him that he shouldnt do it.

We were in a Nepal hotel room and it hit a marble floor. And the damage wasn't that bad. Totally usable machine, but I had to swallow a lot of barf as I bent over to pick it up!

wankey

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2005
Ouch that sucks. My laptop dropped as well (original macbook pro) and it never dented that bad. The unibodies don't seem to be very sturdy at all (especially that ethernet port where it's incredibly thin.

Necross

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2011
You should your post and and the pics to apple somehow.. and get em to do a press release or something about how durable the Macbook Pro is, and do a little news story about your experience.. you'll be internet famous for 15 minutes, and then maybe as a reward for all the happy good press they get from your story, apple will give you a shiney new one? :)

orfeas0

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2010
Athens, Greece
Yep, there's be a nice crack in the plastic, especially since it looks like the impact was localized to the area around the ethernet port. Dropping anything other than a toughbook onto a driveway is going to cause damage, and the aluminum probably absorbed a lot of the energy by bending instead of transferring it to the components.

True. The aluminum worked kinda like a shock absorber. A plastic one , even if it didn't break into pieces, it would have transferred all the damage to the inside!
But to be honest the Unibody MacBook is pretty sturdy. A normal plastic laptop would have exploded into a million pieces if it fell like that, but not a unibody! ;):apple:

Jungiii

macrumors member
May 16, 2011
That's Crazy, Kudos on bending it back to it's better state now. If you're using it still, what is the condition of the internals? is it working in good condition still?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.