I failed to convince my parents!!!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by dominicansrul93, Apr 21, 2007.

1. dominicansrul93 macrumors regular

I tried everything but I just could not do it... Now they are going to get a stupid vista dell...:( Now I have to wait four years until college...

If you do not know what I am talking about read my thread. Here is a link...

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=294344

2. skwij macrumors 6502

That truly stinks, and they will be sorry.

Heck, they can run Vista natively with the Macbook or MBP!

Why the heck would they limit themselves to a crappy OS, when they can run the crappy OS alongside a truly brilliant piece of software????????

That just doesn't make sense, from an economical standpoint, a "user" standpoint, a safety standpoint, and a plain "it just works, and WELL" standpoint.

Your parents are being extremely shortsighted and narrow-minded. I myself would always go with the route that allows the most freedom and options, rather than the narrow, rocky, BUGGY path they have chosen to walk.

3. Erasmus macrumors 68030

Erasmus

I'm crying for you.

Oh well, it's not like it will really effect you THAT much: What do school students use computers for except Word, internet and games?

Just make sure you get a mac when you start Uni, when you need to use programs such as Matlab without them crashing!

You could save up some money (do ya have a job?) and buy a macbook or 17" iMac for yourself...

4. Xander562 macrumors 68000

Xander562

If you can, I REALLY suggest going to your local Apple Store, and if it's a larger one, attend one of the presentations on the basics/intro to Apple and OS X. Just wander around, use the computers. Have your parents use them. My parents were the same way, although it was me trying to convince them to let ME buy one. (Are you buying it yourself or asking them to buy it?) This strategy really helped my convince my parents.

Also I suggest buying it yourself. It's much more satisfying. :D Also your parents will respect/trust you more. You aren't just bumming money off them and later potentially accused of being self-centered and unthankful.

5. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

6. skwij macrumors 6502

That is just demented. He needs help/counselling.

Then again, he's probably on a PC.

7. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

My 3 daughters have used both Operating Systems since they were tall enough to reach the keyboard.

Back in 2001, they wanted a P/C because all of their school work was being generated for Windows XP and of course MS Office.
    And all their friends seemed to have P/Cs.

Boy was that a mistake!!!! Three girls sharing a P/C :confused:

It didn't take very long before they realised their mistake and now all three of them have their own MacBooks.

No more adware and spyware gumming up their system, no more virus attacks hosing their system and no more weekly anti-virus updates to waste my time.

Without knowing what your parents do for a living, it's difficult to recommend the correct system.

In most cases an iMac is the best family computer.

In many cases people buy their products based on price rather than quality.

Others are simply not willing to break out of their comfort zone, feeling that
    they MUST buy a system compatable for their work environment.

Those systems generally allow the IT administrators at work to regulate
    what they can do on their private systems while accessing the network away from the office.

Of course all of this can still be done with a Mac, but even the most highly trained Windows certified IT professionals are clueless to these capabilities.

Also maintaining Windows = job security

My best friend just purchased his first MacBook Pro to help him with
    presentations. He and his wife have had no trouble at all connecting
    to VPN networks at work and are running both Mac OSX and Windows XP Pro.

His boss just bought his own MacBook Pro after seeing how flexible and secure my friend's system was and their Keynote presentations are putting
    others to shame.

This was no simple task, these people were Windows hardiners.

It's difficult for many people to break that mindset of " WE MUST CONFORM"

I've pretty much stopped trying to convince people why they should go to Mac OSX.

If they can't see the benefit of the most flexibility in their system,
    then there's no point in arguing with them.

Like the others have said here, save your own money and buy your own computer.

8. dominicansrul93 thread starter macrumors regular

LOL funny video!!! No I do not have a job I am 14(that is why I said 4 more years till uni). It is going to be a horrible 4 years...And by the way I think that the reason they decided that is because of the windows fanboy I mentioned in my other post that is my dad's best friend. He is so in love with MS that today he saw me using firefox and he said it was the gayest thing ever! He seriously thinks windows and IE7 are superior.

9. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Send your dad and his closeted friend to this forum. We'll fix 'em up!

10. Erasmus macrumors 68030

Erasmus

OK, I'm undecided. Is that funny, or just sad? :confused:

Considering how much I laughed, it must be funny : )

11. psycoswimmer macrumors 65816

psycoswimmer

That made me laugh out loud. Not nearly as bad as that kid, but yeah. That get does need some serious help.

OP: That sucks about the new computer. It'll seem great once you finally get to use one in college though. :eek:

12. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

im sure the kid in the video did all that on purpose. why else would he film it??

13. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

just download a ******** of spyware and put it on there and then be like "look at all this ****ing spyware because of vista" then they can return it and buy a mac. you have like 14 days to return to dell if you aren't satisfied.

14. Erasmus macrumors 68030

Erasmus

Well, it COULD be his parents sticking it there without him knowing, but I seriously doubt it. Any kid who smashes a keyboard against the desk like that wouldn't have a computer to start with. It's obvious it's just the kid showing off to the camera.

15. anthony113 macrumors member

16. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

"And the blind shall see" :)

FJ

17. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

Just be sure to keep a journal of everything that goes wrong with the computer...so when it's time for the college purchase, you'll have a stack about journals around waist high filled with reasons you should be able to get a Mac then.

And go with zioxide's suggestion too.

18. iMacZealot macrumors 68020

Yikes! I feel your pain.

Just start saving. Post something on Craiglist for a gig to show some other idiot how to use Vista. Save your Christmas and chores money.Get a job. Do whatever you have to. Even buy a used one if you really want one.

BTW, what was their reasoning when you asked them why you went for a PC?

19. tominated macrumors 68000

tominated

I have a better idea. I saw on downloadsquad.com there was an april fools app that you set a picture and a fake ad will pop up with that picture. set it with a pic of your mum or dad and they will freak!

20. Erasmus macrumors 68030

Erasmus

Is it just me, or is not the spyware method somewhat dishonest and deceitful?

21. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

All is fair in love and war ...... and of course in getting your parents to make a sensible decision to buy a Mac. :)

FJ

22. iMacZealot macrumors 68020

Oh, one more thing....loosen the power chord so that it stays in and works, but could easily fall out. :)

23. MacSyn macrumors regular

Tell your parents: " You guys want to get a Dell and Vista, fine! But don't expect me to fix any problems in future!" That should do it!:D

24. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Wow, that was great. Thanks for the laugh JohnNotBeatle.

That guy is in need of some serious help. :eek:

25. jng macrumors 65816

jng

Mature up a bit. Saying something is "gay" isn't going to win me over, regardless of what actually is better.

Besides you're 14, chill. If you really want a mac that bad, you can get a job and save some money. In Boston, at 14, you're allowed to work summers for limited hours. Even if you can't get a "job," slowly save your allowance, maybe? Or do yardwork for neighbors, etc.