Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jw nyc

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 31, 2008
How do you manage that? I've been with AT&T for 11 years, you think they'll allow me to upgrade every year?

I think it has to do with how much the monthly bill is on your line. My line is eligible to be upgraded every 12 months. The other phones on my main family plan can upgrade every 18 months.

kevintech

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2010
I think it has to do with how much the monthly bill is on your line. My line is eligible to be upgraded every 12 months. The other phones on my main family plan can upgrade every 18 months.

Oh may I ask what's different about your line?

jw nyc

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 31, 2008
Oh may I ask what's different about your line?

Since I'm the main line, the bill on my line is about $150 whereas the bill for the other lines is just $9.99 (per line) + data (if applicable).

grittyman20

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2010
I wouldn't say that I really like AT&T, but I'm satisfied with having them as a carrier. I like their (discounted) plans and I think the iPhone is probably the greatest multimedia smartphone on the market. Sure I experience more dropped calls than I care for, but nothing to the point where it's a deal breaker.

theshoehorn

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2010
I have never had anything bad to say about AT&T. Service was good in my area EXCEPT for no 3G, and no plans in the near future for it. This is the sole reason I left. Everything else (in my experiences) was great, but their 3G network still is hard to come by.

whiteyanderson

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2007
Hollywood, California
It's not so much that people have anything negative to say, whichever carrier works best for a person in their particular area- who cares?

The issue is, that in any positive Verizon iPhone thread, an AT&T user invariably HAS to pop in and say "Good luck with your old phone". "Good luck making a call and browsing at the same time". "Can't wait to see VZW crash". Ad nauseum. So somebody retaliates.

It's very strange this whole carrier defense thing. I mean they're all the same in the end. Who cares if a phone is on 1 carrier or 100?

I just don't get how or why it envelopes the meaning of some peoples lives. It's almost as if a VZW iPhone is an assault on their personalities and identities. If that's the case, then its a pretty sad commentary on how people view their originality or creativity these days.

scorpio1973

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2009
I have to agree. I am pleased with my AT&T service. Call dropping is not an issue for me and I generally have 3G in the places I frequent. No reason for me to jump ship to VZW.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
I've been saying this for a while now. Where I live now (Nashville, TN) and used to live (Orlando, FL) my AT&T service has been AWESOME! I rarely have dropped calls, I always get between 3Mbps and 4Mbps download speeds with 4-5 bars of service at all times, and have generally had pleasent experiences with customer service! Buttttt I know thats not the case everywhere, so to each their own! :rolleyes:

Same exact experience here! I think AT&T just kicks ass in Florida, but hey ... each to their own.

AlphaDogg

macrumors 68040
May 20, 2010
Ypsilanti, MI
I think AT&T sucks. I get an average of .5mbps down and .01mbps up here where I live (in Denver). When I was in Los Angeles, I got about 2.5mbps down and .6mbps up. Where I stayed in SoCal (Simi Valley), I had no service on my 3GS. I would have even been happy with EDGE or GPRS. My friends who have Cricket, T-Mobile and Verizon all had service. My T-Mobile friends had EDGE, my Cricket friends had bad 3G service. And my Verizon friends all had very good 3G coverage. My friend and my teacher who have iPhone 4's (in some sort of protective case to prevent against the bad antenna problem) didn't have service either.

Last edited:

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
I've had ATT since the Cingular days and never had any real problems with Voice or 3G data way before the iPhone to present day with the iPhone. I do travel a decent amount and have only noticed poor signal in rural areas and very specific areas in some cities. But this can be said for all carriers.

The only reason I will ever think about leaving ATT is if they get rid of my unlimited data plan which I'm grandfathered into. I use way more than 2GB a month and rarely tether.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.