Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thekb

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2010
My iPad 3 does fine for most all tasks, but it's awfully slow when changing wallpaper. It sucks because I use it almost exclusively for changing the wallpaper every 20-30 seconds.

OMG, that is priceless! :D

AnonMac50

macrumors 68000
Mar 24, 2010
I doubt it will be gastronomical.

Anyway, I will probably feel a huge difference. I've been feeling sluggishness with the device for a long time. Especially in games.

neutrino23

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2003
SF Bay area
My ipad 3 is barely 2 years old. Don't think I can afford to upgrade. Will likely squeeze one more year out of it. It's definitely struggling under ios7 but still suffices for the tasks I put it through.

I'm hopeful that iOS 7.1 will improve things for the iPad 3.

Kendo

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 4, 2011
I presume you mean "astronomical" :)

Yes, it'll be a big leap. The iPad 3 was a premature product - they doubled the qraphics power over the iPad 2 but it had four times as many pixels to move and, as a result, was slower graphically. Basically the 3 doesn't have enough grunt to drive the screen in all conditions.

The iPad 4 should have been the first retina device but I suspect the market at the time dictated that they needed to launch the high res screen early in 2012 and the hardware just wasn't ready. As a result the 3 was a kind of stop-gap measure and is why the 4 followed only seven months later.

I had a 2 and then a 3. I upgraded because I wanted the retina display, more memory and 3G and, whilst I don't regret it for a moment, it did annoy me how noticably slower the 3 was than the 2 in a lot of circumstances, not to mention thicker and heavier.

I sold my 3 a couple of weeks ago and will be ordering a 5 on launch day.

How much did you get for it and what model? 32GB?

sarakn

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2013
How do we know iPad would not be a hog similar to ipad 3 only to have ipad 6 be released a few months later.

Vertigo1

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2013
How do we know iPad would not be a hog similar to ipad 3 only to have ipad 6 be released a few months later.

Well we can never be sure but the 3 was released prematurely because they needed to get the retina screen version on the market ASAP, just the hardware wasn't quite ready.

This time round, there's no new screen or "must have" feature that they have to get to market now and which would force them to rush it so they'll have taken their time and released the product when ready.

sarakn

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2013
Well we can never be sure but the 3 was released prematurely because they needed to get the retina screen version on the market ASAP, just the hardware wasn't quite ready.

This time round, there's no new screen or "must have" feature that they have to get to market now and which would force them to rush it so they'll have taken their time and released the product when ready.

Thank you. Can't wait to get the retina display.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.