I Feel Substantially Underwhelmed by iOS 5

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by El3ctronics, Jun 9, 2011.

1. El3ctronics, Jun 9, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2011

El3ctronics macrumors 65816

So I've been beta testing iOS 5 for two days now and I have to be honest...there are no significant front end changes and I feel very underwhelmed. The notifications are great and, to me, that's the only noticeable change in every day use. Prior to the keynote, most rumors had iOS 5 being a huge leap forward with many analysts predicting a complete overhaul of the OS...that is definitely NOT the case.

This is still very much the same [stale] OS that we've been using for 4 years with some incremental improvements. iCloud is great but I wouldn't call it revolutionary and, honestly, most people won't even notice it. Even the one significant improvement (notifications) isn't as good as it should be being that there are no icons shown in the status bar and that notifications don't show up in the lock screen if they arrive while the phone is on. I understand this is an early beta and things could change but, at this point, I truly feel the OS is as stale as it was last week and I'm somewhat disappointed that this is what Apple spent more than a full year developing.

I'm sure I'll get some negative feedback from Apple enthusiasts on the forum but I just wanted to give some honest feedback and my initial impression to this community. I'm curious how other developers/users who are testing the OS feel.

2. bmms8 macrumors 68020

Though I think iOS 5 is a great step in the right direction, I do agree with you. It's not an overhaul. I think we as consumers want something different, but apple has garnered products that are all easy to use, "you know how to use it already" so I don't think they can sway too far from their current look. I'd personally be happy with a complete overhaul though.

3. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

agreed with the status bar issue, without icons the notifications are just as pointless as they are on iOS 4

4. Tettrabyte macrumors newbie

Agreed

You are totally right about the underwhelming thing. It is possible that there are hidden features that will be enabled when the next iPhone drops and occasionally .xx updates add major features.

5. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Why the need for an overhaul? That's like asking for OS X to be overhauled. There's nothing wrong with the foundation its built on right now-- don't expect it to be changed anytime soon either. It sounds like you're just bored and want to try Android or WP 7.

6. sunfast macrumors 68020

sunfast

Evolution rather than revolution I guess. Seems to be the Apple way though - really struck me when Schiller showed that 10 year old screen shot of OS X, not wildly different from the iteration we'll be getting next month.

7. vebs macrumors regular

I'd like the choice to design my homescreen in another way, rather than the same old group of icons. Maybe part of the screen for my favoured apps, pending notifications, weather etc.

8. bmms8 macrumors 68020

i also think screen real estate is apart of the problem. i wouldnt mind the screen being a little larger on next generation iphone.

9. El3ctronics, Jun 9, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 9, 2011

El3ctronics thread starter macrumors 65816

You're right and I tried the Galaxy S2 for that reason and I really liked it a lot. I decided to return it b/c the Exchange email app was simply awful and I know I wouldn't be able to overcome that. I also use my device mostly for text (play some games and watch some video but mostly messaging, email browsing etc) and I couldn't get over the lack of the retina display (nothing else like it!). So I'm back testing iOS 5 but definitely miss the customization and freshness that you can always have with Android.

EDIT:

One other MAJOR oversight (at least in my opinion) is the fact that apps can't update in the background. When testing the Galaxy S2 this feature was simply BRILLIANT. What I mean by this is that my RSS feeds and newspapers should automatically be updated and available when I wake up in the morning. I shouldn't have to open every app and force it to download content that I want to read on the subway.

This feature is also extremely beneficial in messaging apps like IM or Whatsapp. When I get a message now I get a notification up top (or a popup in iOS 4) but when I open the app, it first has to connect to the server to deliver the message that I already received in in the notification! Makes no sense and is a complete waste of time.

I was SURE Apple was going to address these issues in iOS 5 and was very disappointed when they didn't.

10. rwilliams macrumors 68040

rwilliams

While a lot of us nerds (and I use that as a term of endearment to my MacRumors brethren) would love to have seen more of an overhaul to iOS, you also have to look at it from Apple's point of view. They've sold over 200 million iOS devices, most of them to non-tech enthusiasts. Overhauling the operating system is something that has to be done very carefully and very incrementally, or you risk turning off a lot of customers who are accustomed to things working and looking a certain way.

But yes, iOS 5 is not the OS I thought it would be. With that said, I appreciate and look forward to the new additions.

11. URFloorMatt macrumors 6502

Isn't this a feature of iOS 5? Wasn't that the benefit of the overnight wireless syncing with the cloud? If this is not part of syncing, then I agree this should be a feature.

But personally, I think most people who say they were "underwhelmed" are the kind of people who want a UI overhaul purely for the sake of having a UI overhaul.

12. El3ctronics thread starter macrumors 65816

No, this is not a feature of iOS5. Overnight syncing with the cloud just means that the information on your device is backed up to the cloud while it's plugged in and the screen is off. It has nothing to do with apps getting information in the background.

13. Bobby Corwen macrumors 68030

(Am I the only one who is excited about the reminders app synching you up to get location based notifications? lol like.. "dont forget the milk!" as you go into the grocery store)

14. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

I totally agree with you.... but I already expect this from Apple every time there is a keynote or announcement... See I already know Apple updates in small increments so I am never expecting much therefore I am never dissapointed. I will admit though that I thought for sure they would spruce up the appeareance of the UI just a little bit 4 years with the same exact look and feel is a lot even for Apple.

15. chris975d macrumors 68000

chris975d

I was excited about it until I actually installed it and then realized that for the "fence" reminders to work, your GPS has to be tracking you 24/7 to utilize this feature, and therefore you'll get about 4-6 hours MAX out of your battery before you have to recharge. Seems like Apple didn't even think that one out at all.

16. linoox macrumors newbie

linoox

Maybe the iPhone 5/iPhone 4S has a 3.7" screen to fit those notification icons in a permanent status bar at the top...just saying;)

17. iFiend macrumors 65816

Not true, at least for newsstand. They said in the keynote that you'll wake up to new magizine and newspaper subscriptions. Here's to hoping they add this functionality elsewhere (like with RSS feeds, as you mentioned).

While it is a bit buggy (doesn't work 100% of the time) this is a very cool feature! I'm really enjoying testing it out. Set one to go off when I left for work this morning and it rang about a block from my house ;)

18. El3ctronics thread starter macrumors 65816

You're right, my mistake. But Apple's built in apps are able to get updates in the background now anyway. Look at the Mail app...it receives mail in the background that is already loaded when you open the app. It should be the same for messenger apps as well!

19. chris975d macrumors 68000

chris975d

I think he's referring to an individual apps data, not the overall updating of apps to a new version. Like for instance, when I open my USA Today app, since I have it set up for "offline reading", I have to wait 5-10 minutes for it to refresh and cache the data, since it's not allowed to do so until the app is called for (opened). Why can't Apple allow these apps to do such "behind the scenes"/transparently, but with a disclaimer that enabling such features will impact battery life? I know that the battery life issue is why Apple doesn't allow it, but they could at least give us a choice after notifying us that such use can/will impact battery life. Android allows this background updating of apps' data, and even allows the user to set a battery percentage limit on when it stops (if the app developer enables it), to conserve battery life (i.e., at 30% remaining, cut off app data updates).

Added: forgot about the Newstand app which has this feature. But that's Apple's own app. They need to allow this to 3rd party apps as well.

20. El3ctronics thread starter macrumors 65816

Exactly what I mean. Thanks for explaining further!

21. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

But that's apple's MO, they take small baby steps in improving a product or service. I was not expecting much from iOS so when they added improved notifications that was a pleasant surprise.

My feeling is they caught up with the competition, but failed to exceed them because they only apply small incremental updates. OTA updates, no need for activation within itunes, better notifications all should have been there a long time ago. Regardless, they're coming to iOS5 and that's a good thing.

22. El3ctronics thread starter macrumors 65816

Did you REALLY not think they were going to update notifications!? That would have been a monumental fail. Apple usually has a surprise or two during their keynote. Not this year.

23. Padraig macrumors 6502a

One word for that: iTunes.

There's some good stuff in iOS5 but I too was hoping for a radical overhaul. I'm delighted that notifications are - finally - being looked at but overall I think the whole interface is quite clunky.

24. Harpoon Spoon macrumors regular

I completely agree with you. I feel that ios has become boring but no matter how bored I am of the os it still is the most stable phone os imho.

25. jmack549 macrumors 6502

Strange, I use Latitude and it tracks me 24/7 and I have about 30% left when I go to bed at night. I don't know where your confident claim of "4-6 hours MAX" comes from?