I finally decided and bought a refurb MBP, some questions!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by PhaserFuzz, Mar 4, 2008.

1. PhaserFuzz macrumors 6502

I checked the Apple site first thing this morning and saw they had a refurbished 2.4 GHz MBP with 256 vRAM for $1650. I couldn't pass this deal up so I snagged it. How has everyone's experience been with refurbished? Is it gonna have little nicks and scratches on it, or does Apple replace these parts that show usage? Also, is it gonna boot up like a brand new laptop with nothing left on it from previous user?

One more thing, if I have an Apple certified repair place install a bigger hard drive in it, will this void the warranty?

Thanks!

2. krypt macrumors newbie

I bought a refurb when the new MBPs went live (same specs as yours, but a Glossy version). It shipped right away and I got it a few days ago. Unfortunately, mine came with a warped lid, backlighting problems, and 1 dead pixel (wouldn't unstick). Apple offered to take it back no questions asked, they actually didn't even ask for specifics about the defects, they just offered a refund. Apple even paid for return shipping (via fedex) and I have until the 25th to mail it. I ended up ordering a new MBP yesterday (still waiting to ship).

k

3. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

Mine were like brand new products minus the fancy box. You or anybody else will not be able to tell it is a refurb vs. new. Quite a bargain!!

I'm a repeat refurb. buyer BTW.

4. markrivers macrumors 6502a

markrivers

i bought an SR 2.2 GHz MBP last tues, when they announced the new one..
    got it last friday..
    can't complain..

REfurbished products get more attention/ inspection compared to the new ones.

most of the people here are happy refurbished MAC owners,
    value for your money:D

5. PhaserFuzz thread starter macrumors 6502

So you got yours only a few days after you ordered? Did you choose a quicker shipping method or anything? This wait is going to kill me! Also, I still cant believe I got this for $1650. Just 2 weeks ago, a new one cost $2500. Thats saving nearly a grand! I'm definitely excited. :D

6. itslow macrumors newbie

My experience mimics yours with refurb Apple products. It's unlikely I'll ever buy another brand-new desktop or laptop again.

7. achambe macrumors newbie

I ordered the refurb 2.2 MBP Saturday and it came yesterday. It keeps freezing on me. Should I take it to an Apple Store or just call up and send it back in?

8. Sean9689 macrumors member

I'd just send it back and get a new one.

9. davinche macrumors regular

davinche

I only order refurbs from Apple as the quality is usually as good or better than new and if you buy right after a new release the prices are awesome. Apple has taken care of me anytime I have had an issue. On my current 17" there was a small scratch on the screen, so I called apple and they told me I could ship it back and they would ship another one or take it to my local Apple store in 2 days and the lcd would there waiting to be replaced. I did that and I was only without my laptop until the next day.

10. achambe macrumors newbie

Alright, I need advice.

I have called Apple Support 4 times today, I have re-installed Leopard twice today, once with archive and install, once with delete and install. My MBP keeps freezing.

Is it time to demand a replacement?
    Should I send it in our take it to an apple store?

thanks

11. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

They didn't offer a replacement? If you have an Apple Store close, take it in.

Freezing doing exactly what tasks?

Check RAM seating & is proper size recognized in system profiler?

12. achambe macrumors newbie

It mostly freezes on start up. The dock gets about half way up and stops. It takes a couple times of shutting down and restarting before it finally gets rolling.

Also freezes waking from sleep mode, and some times in the middle of using various applications (safari, word, and chess.)

I have only had it since Tuesday, but it has never started successfully after having sat for a while.

What are the chances of them swapping out a previous generation refurb in store?

13. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

Store swap would be slim for a refurb. But they can look at it and make sure it's broke and initiate a repair/exchange. You may get lucky and they'll exchange it for one of theirs. You won't know til you take it in. Have you checked RAM? After freezing, have you opened the console log in utilities folder and see what happened?

14. markrivers macrumors 6502a

markrivers

i chose the 2-3 days delivery
    it's an additional $18 bucks.
    i konw the wait is a killer.
    and you go back to the site to check if the shipping has sstarted :D
    for almost an eternity, all i see is prepared for shipment.

but i got it on the expected date.
    if not ,you can call to have your shipping fees reimbursed

15. achambe macrumors newbie

Haven't looked to see what happened. I am new to Mac, didn't even know about said utilities folder.

If I take it in, should I plan on bringing everything that came in the box?
    If they don't swap am I better off going with a repair or an exchange?

thanks

16. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

You might as well take everything to store and see what the geniuses have to say.

You should try and make a local Apple Store genius bar appt. on line via Apples website.

Good luck!

17. Joezill macrumors newbie

I snagged one of the 17" MBP's for $2149. It arrived in town tonight and it will be in my hot little hands tomorrow. I'm so excited.

Joe

18. fletchnj macrumors newbie

I'm in the same boat as you. I have a lid that just doesn't close! Now my battery doesn't take a full change. It stops at 96% and reads "battery is charged" and the indicator light on the charger works ever now in then. I've been having mounting problems with mine for a few weeks now. I too am sending mine back for one of the new ones. I hope I have better luck with a new product!

19. markrivers macrumors 6502a

markrivers

getting a new one will not guarantee you a 100% working machine.
    just search the thread for people exchanging x times for their new penryn MBPs
    due to yellowish screen, etc.

20. fletchnj macrumors newbie

You are 110% correct about not being guaranteed. However, your average buyer is always reluctant buying anything refurbished aka used especially for this much money. Anyway they didn't have anymore 2.2GHz 15.4 MPB's so it was either a new one or my money back.

21. markrivers macrumors 6502a

markrivers

well, if you're 2.2 is up for replacement, they'll be more than happy to give you a NEW penryn based 2.4 GHz.
    read a forum member getting a penryn as a replacement for her powerbook.
    her apple care is expiring in 3 days when this happened..
    talked about luck!
    i asked her for lotto numbers recommendation

22. fletchnj macrumors newbie

make sure if you win the lotto to buy some Apple stock :D

23. Link00seven macrumors regular

I just ordered the same 2.4 GHz Refurbished MBP. I've heard mostly good reports from people who have bought refurbished apple products, so once my shows up in the mail next week I hope to have good results in terms of the quality of the product.

I thought $1650 was an awesome price for the specs in this machine though! The new ones didn't seem that much better for the price difference...especially with my budget.

24. markrivers macrumors 6502a

markrivers

congratulations on your purchase!

25. Link00seven macrumors regular

Thanks mate. I'm confident it was a good one. :D