I finally gave in/Gave up

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by MikieMikie, Nov 19, 2007.

1. MikieMikie macrumors 6502a

So, it was hard enough to figure out what to head this thread, imagine my confusion about what kind of Mac to buy.

I had about had it with my wife's Macbook Pro Dual 2.0 whatever, burning out screen pixels and having them melt in a '60s cornucopia of delight. The top of her 'puter was literally hot enough to burn flesh, and the hinge in the upper left took advantage of that and simply melted liquid crystals in the screen at its own whim.

Yeah, I know, you true Mac evangelists claim it is impossible to melt hardware. Yeah, I know I sound like some guy who has an axe to grind. (Actually, I often do!) Still, the dude behind the "genius" bar said that that's what happened. All as a result of Handbrake.

So I decided to give my wife's machine back to my wife, and to stop sneaking in encodings, rips, and other heat-generating activities, and go out to buy something of my own.

Net result: iMac 2.8GHz 2GB RAM.

Speeds for encoding are dramatically better.

-- Mikie

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

3. atarin macrumors regular

Did you fix your wife's MBP first? :eek: Your post kinda makes you sound like a jerk. Is the point of this post to complain about Handbrake, make the new iMac look better than your wife's MBP, or let us all know that you proudly ruined your wife's MBP then bought yourself a new iMac? I'm confused. Erm, enjoy your new iMac? Don't mean to flame or anything, but jeesh...why would you tell people this? :rolleyes:

4. atarin macrumors regular

Good question! The entire post just seems wrong. Is it just me?

5. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Maybe he was trying to encode :apple:TV videos on his Wife's computer and it was too slow for him...

6. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Pictures?

Edit: I run Handbrake on my C2D MBP in clamshell mode, and it only gets warm - nothing approaching hot (I opened the lid to check).

7. SpookTheHamster macrumors 65816

SpookTheHamster

I'd say you had some dodgy hardware. I've used Handbrake on all sorts of Macs; desktops and laptops and none of them have even got hot enough to make me take them off my lap.