I finally got me an Imac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by silva78644, Jan 25, 2011.

1. silva78644 macrumors member

Are their any system maintenance i should do from time to time or is that done on its own. Any advice is welcome

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Leave it one 2 days straight. During idle times OS X will sort and organize the Index.

3. morty192 macrumors regular

if you don't want to do that I would suggest a program called 'onyx' free and powerful utility just use the automation section and you should be good to go :)

4. sjfwhite macrumors member

sjfwhite

I ordered mine yesterday and am anxiously awaiting the shipping notice. :)

27" Core i7.

I am almost regretting the customization (2 TB drive) since it makes me have to wait longer. LOL

5. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

I would definitely download smcFanControl, and increase the default levels until the system runs cool all the time. Otherwise, you may find times when the top vent is very hot.

TEG

6. ruvil macrumors regular

+1

I ordered myself an iMac 27" quad-core yesterday and i just got off the phone with the shipping company - they will deliver it tomorrow!! AAAH! I now have something to play with for the whole weekend :)

7. ndraves macrumors member

I'd definitely do this, it also enables you to turn the fans up if you know you are going to be doing something quite intensive. It allows you to be preemptive in keeping it cool. Also if you turn the fans all the way up it sounds as though it will take-off!! Quite cool.

And sort out a Time Machine. I've learned the hard way about not backing up data. A HDD can just go for no reason 5 minutes out of the box or go on forever.

8. Andeavor macrumors 6502

The latest OS X versions have improved self-maintenance that runs over night. So, leave it on over night and you may notice a difference but not until after you did a reboot to get rid of temporary files that gather during continuos usage.