I finally made a choice ...

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by abacab63, Sep 12, 2011.

1. abacab63 macrumors newbie

I was holding my purchase of a new MP3 player hoping the new ipod touch would be announced soon with my 'must haves' such as FM (I do not want the nano in the current version - i would have bought it in the previously larger format though).

It was getting too long ... I was shopping this weekend and I went for a nice little sony (newest model). For a 100$, I got the fm, and i can simply put the files I still have on disk which were put on my old mp3 before it broke earlier this year. It's even got an alarm clock and a voice recorder.

I would have preferred an ipod touch... I would have used the google calender and contacts features over wifi... i preferred the ipod's flexibility... and so on. But with all the 'rumors' of 'not much new features' and 'no fm radio' (this is a real deal breaker for me), i 'had' to go with the Sony and I am quite happy with it...

I will 'LOL' if Apple issues an ipod with FM later this year.... :)

2. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

Congrats on your new mp3 player. I'm surprised you base your purchases on predictions from analyst. They seem to always be wrong on their predictions :).

I have Wi-Fi almost every where I go and I have a large selection of radio apps. I would be very surprised if they ever put an fm tuner in an iPod Touch.

3. abacab63 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks !

I agree that predictions are usually just that.

I use my MP3 as a 'background music player' at work (using a few FM stations with appropriate selections for that purpose) and the wifi in there is granted for office use, not listening to radio. I listen to FM stations at home too. My wireless setup would allow for listening to the radio but that would probably bring me over the limit and in 'surcharge mode'.

I like the fact that there are actually buttons on the player I bought.

On the 'predictions' aspect if the ipod, everyone seems to agree that apple will not put an fm player on the ipod touch. For me, this is an important part of my mp3 player. I prefer not needing a wifi location. When traveling, I like listening to the various fm stations wherever i may be.

The FM tuner may impact itunes sales but it would make the device more appealing to more people.

Having said that, I enjoy my iMac very much (for almost 3 yrs now). I would have liked to extend that 'experience' with the ipod touch.

It would have been interesting to have an ipod touch minus the need for itunes (more open) and the infamous FM tuner.

I looked at the Cowon line of PMPs... great reviews about sound quality... almost got one but the Sony does the job for now. Things change a lot in two or three years.... we'll see then what's out there.

4. likethesoup2 macrumors 6502a

There are two or three companies that make a tiny FM tuner that attach to the bottom of the iPod Touch. Perhaps a bit more homework was in order.

5. old-wiz macrumors G3

I'd love an FM tuner; old coots like myself still listen to the radio. I use it for music. I know you can do it if you have wi-fi, but I would like it for walking

6. likethesoup2 macrumors 6502a

Did your eyes leave you too?

Read what I wrote -- YOU CAN.

7. palpatine macrumors 68040

congratulations on your purchase. i don't have any interest in having an fm tuner myself, but it wouldn't take up much space, and it wouldn't cost a whole lot more to have it, so i wonder why they haven't provided it, even if just as an option.

8. abacab63 thread starter macrumors newbie

Using an 'appendage' for FM listening and plug it to a supposedly hi-tech device is not (in my view) a proper solution. You would need a purse to carry this stuff, not mentioning that it would make the whole contraption more fragile in your pockets. To add to an already long list of 'cons', these 'appendages' are from 3rd party suppliers and offer poor sound quality.

As far as a 'musical listening device', the Cowon J3 model makes for a far superior PMP player and includes an FM tuner. The iPod is a much more flexible machine (wifi browsing, apps, etc) but the Cowon is light years ahead in sound quality and ... has an FM tuner; it's not made for apps and games.

Lastly, there are very few MP3 or PMP players without FM tuners.

Having said that, the iPod Touch, the Sony mp3 player and the Cowon J3 are simply different devices for different types of customers.

Plugging an FM-tuner-device on an iPod is like buying a car and adding a spoiler... the car wasn't made for it to begin with and it will never look good and/or be practical and/or blend in.

relax (emphasize the lowercase here), we're just giving our opinions here. Old-wiz mentionned he'd like to take his walks with the fm radio... he probably doesn't carry a purse either ... and having a plugged-up ipod probably wouldn't be very practical in that environment.

Happy trails. :)

----------

I briefly looked at the fm tuners a while back but the 'non integrated solution' made it very unattractive.

Apple is obviously a company who's ahead of the competition in terms of design and usability. I still find it strange that they wouldn't put FM capability and make the device more 'open' for MP3 / FLAC / etc.

This is obviously a marketing-genius thing above my understanding (no sarcasm intended here).

Like 'old-wiz', I'm 'older' (above 40) and love the FM stations we have around here. A good number provide for great music variety (not just the 'pop current stuff') and some others provide very interesting interviews and subjets.

From your reply and others I received before, there seems to be a great divide between those who do not need FM and those who would love it. Maybe it's a 'generation' thing.
    :)

My 0.02$ again.

9. old-wiz macrumors G3

Definitely a generation thing. The under-40 crowd, and under-25 in particular, are enamored with music directly from their iPods or phones.

10. Invincibilizer macrumors 6502a

Invincibilizer

Trading in all other ipod touch functions for a FM tuner isn't worth it.
    And people listen to AM nowadays.

Sure it may cost more but without app store, retina display, camera, cool factor I don't see how any other mp3 players can match up with that.

The music from FM stations could have been downloaded from other sites. Unless you have a very very small music collection, you would usually listen to music stored in device. (Only FM stations I know, only have music)

Not to mention that the touch is touch screen has a good interface.

If you were cash strapped, I can see how the other mp3 player will work out but if you had the cash and did not get the ipod touch, you made a bad decision, no way around that. Even if the other mp3 player had AM/FM, I still wouldn't bite and I listen to sports radio a lot.

11. abacab63 thread starter macrumors newbie

That's true for a portion of the 'people'. I'm not into using a techno-device to manage my day to day occupations. Ppl I know swear by the apps though. Its a matter of personal choice. Over here, AM is almost non-existent. FM here has over 17 stations (on the preset feature)

Your comment illustrates very well the 'generation gap' I mentionned earlier. Great if it suits your needs. At my age, the 'coolness' is no longer an issue :)
    My ideal MP3 has FM and great sound for music. I also use audiobooks on it. So for me, sound quality and FM are the top criterias (hence Cowon J3).

'Generation gap' here too. FM here is very diversified and a lot present informative content (political, culture, etc). I load a few CDs (music for quiet listening) and usually rotate every four to five monhts. I do not care about downloading reguarly.

Quite true. The iPod probably has the best interface out there. In my point of view, it's not a justification for choosing it over my criterias.

I'm far from 'cash strapped' but spending like I am... which is probably why I'm in a financial 'comfort zone' at my age. :)

I can understand that in your view I made a bad decision (for all the reasons you mentionned) but in my view, it was the best choice (eg; I couldn't care less about typing on a small device on some app-thingy).

iPods are very interesting. It sells very well and makes for a 'revenue generating device' for Apple and other 3rd parties suppling 'stuff' for it. My 'bad choice' MP3 :) does not generate extra expenses and provides me with what I need for that piece of equipment.

In the end you are correct... the iPod is indeed the best MP3 player out there (and many reviews indicate just that). The thing is I need another type of player... and I found it in the player I mentioned earlier. Even better, I don't have to use itunes. When I will care for spending more $$$ for a PMP I will probably choose the Cowon J3. Far from the iPod in terms of apps and flexibilty but far better in sound quality and in its AMOLED display. (look at the reviews yourself).

Given the price I paid for mine, if I ever come across a great value for a Cowon J3 or if Apple issues an iPod with FM tuner and I happen to find out that these 'app-thingys' are usefull after all, I wont loose too much in the replacement process.

In the meantime, I have to budget new tires for my car at 250$ each..., our vacation to Disney in the coming months, some repairs on the house early next year and that's about it for now.... :)

Cheers,

12. batting1000 macrumors 604

Try the TuneIn Radio app. Gets pretty much any radio station.

13. Signor S. macrumors member

Congratulations on your purchase! Obviously music was the biggest highlight of the product and you didn't need anything else such as apps, movies, etc. Enjoy that mp3 of yours and don't let anyone tell you otherwise!

14. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

It's not that "music" was the OP's top priority, but "FM radio". That's not a bad thing.

The ability to run Apps is what makes the iPod Touch a top-notch music player. Even if you never install a game or fart app, there are music player and internet radio apps that really expand the functionality of the iPod's music player.

I would've recommended to the OP to investigate whether or not his favorite FM stations were available via internet streaming. (assuming that he had regular wifi access).

15. Invincibilizer macrumors 6502a

Invincibilizer

I don't know where you live, but the FM channels in my area only broadcasts mainstream songs.

But you should have at least waited for ipod touch 5g(3% chance of FM probably)

Or the Nano? Doesn't the nano still have an FM tuner? Nano would not incur extra charges and acts as a digital watch.

16. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

First off, congrats on your purchase and being happy with it. If it does the things you want, there's no need to get anything else.

You said you bought the mp3 this weekend. There's a good chance the next iPod touch will be announced in the next 30 days. If it has the features you want, then you can return your current mp3 player and buy the new iPod touch. If not, you can continue to enjoy your purchase :)

17. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

IMO FM Radio is so pointless. With literally wifi everywhere and great apps with great music arrays, FM is dead and has been dead for a while.

I respect OP's opinion, we all want what we want, but an FM tuner as a deal breaker is silly IMO with so many others ways of getting music out there in the wild.

Congrats though OP, Sony makes some nice stuff. I love my Dash, best little alarm clock ever!

18. peterpatrickgo macrumors newbie

me toooooo. I just get the ipod touch 3 32G. It works great.:)

19. old-wiz macrumors G3

You have to stick on a dongle to the iPod, which doesn't necessarily even work well. It also makes the iPod heavier and more cumbersome. Plus Apple could release a firmware update that would kill the add on dongle.

My eyes are decent and I did read your post.

20. tablo13 macrumors 65816

tablo13

Radio stations usually offer Internet streaming in very poor quality, so there is a point in FM Radio. But Apple has a tradition of not opting to put FM Radio in its devices. Most MP3/PMP had a built-in FM tuner but iPods didn't. Apple finally put an FM tuner in iPod nano 5th and 6th generation. Many smartphones such as Samsung Galaxy S and HTC Evo, Incredible have built-in FM tuners but no iPhone to date has an FM tuner. :confused: What is Apple worried about, recording radio with JB apps (because Apple probably won't allow exporting the recorded files) and thus "pirating" music?

21. Johnnyboy711 macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8C148)

You should of got the ipod, best money i ever spent, they are pocket computers, you let me down, ill pray for you, that you make better choices

22. old-wiz macrumors G3

I live in suburban Boston, and it is not easy to find free wi-fi. I'm often walking on a bike path, and there is zero wi-fi around. Even in the center of town and walking down the street, there is zero wi-fi that is free. I do use the fm app when I do have wi-fi at home, but out walking it's pretty much impossible to get free wi-fi. We're not in the boonies, and the only place in town where you can get free wi-fi is McDonalds or the public library. Otherwise you are out of luck.

23. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

You could have gotten the touch and get a mini fm radio from dollar tree