I, for one, will miss iWeb authoring

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by luxborealis, Jun 12, 2011.

1. luxborealis, Jun 12, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2011

luxborealis macrumors newbie

luxborealis

I know many people poo-poo iWeb authoring, but I've found it to be the simplest way to get really good graphic-intensive sites up and running - for example, my current photo website: http://www.luxborealis.com and my gallery site at http://www.quietlight.ca. Having tried RapidWeaver and Dreamweaver, I liked the simplicity of drag and drop page layout style of web authoring. I know my html coding but still, iWeb is much more intuitive for a small-time user like me.

Sure iWeb sites are large and can be fiddly with having to use, for eg iWebSEO Tool for titles and other stuff, but iWeb's most recent update has made it much easier to manage pages and sites. I've always hosted my sites outside of MobileMe so I don't lament the loss of it's web hosting.

If anyone has a recommendation for another web authoring app that matches iWeb for simplicity of page layout, I would love to here from you!

2. jason1790 macrumors member

I will also be missing iWeb. I have actually just started to use it. I am not familiar with website building at all and iWeb is just so easy to use.

I do have one question. Maybe someone can answer it...

I have a domain through godaddy.com. Is Apple just getting rid of the MobileMe hosting or will iWeb not work at all on Snow Leopard or Lion? Will I still be able to build websites?

I think this really sucks that Apple would do this. Especially since I just started taking advantage of it.

3. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

You can still use iWeb. It's just the hosting at MobileMe that's going away. You probably just need to change how the site is published from MobileMe to SFTP. (and, unlink your domains from MobileMe)

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Yes you can but apple has not updated iWeb when it refreshed its latest iteration of iLife - it was conspicuously absent.

I liked iWeb but found it too constraining and it did not produce SEO friendly html code.

I moved on to RapidWeaver and with the addition of a few plug-ins I get the nearly the same drag and drop ability and also a lot more flexibility, and tons of themes.

5. jjk454ss macrumors 601

jjk454ss

Rapidweaver doesn't get the greatest reviews in the Mac App Store. Are there other(cheaper maybe) options worth looking at?

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I bought it prior the app store and they do have an active forum. If you go to their website I believe they still offer a free 30 day trial.