I found a 1st gen ipod....thats never even been charged:)

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by bob vansteel, Aug 12, 2008.

1. bob vansteel macrumors regular

Yep my cousin traded me a 1st gen ipod he got a long time ago for my old nano. He's never even been able to charge it becuase he lost the firewire cable and then found out it 1st gen ipod's only work on Mac's. I now cherish my mint condition blast from the past as it rest lifeless until it becomes uber valuable:D

2. Chappers macrumors 68020

Chappers

I would guess that something like that would only become uber valuable if it was in was mint in the box (including cables). I have heard of others still cellophane wrapped. I'm sure I read about them on MacRumors forums.

I would keep it any way - a good swap me thinks.

3. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

wow nice piece of hardware .. err antique! it should be worth alot if you have the original packaging and such.

4. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

WOW! Nice find!
    Are you going to charge it up and take it for any test runs?
    And doesn't that one only work with iTunes on the Mac?

5. bob vansteel thread starter macrumors regular

Ya it won't ever become uber valuable but still cool. Too bad he didn't have the origional packaging to give me. It was a heck of a trade...10gb 1st gen ipod for a 1gb nano! He only did it because he found out you can only use the origional ipods with Mac's. Now i don't know if I should use it in old school fashion...or keep it safe in its unused condition?

6. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

If you did use it like at school or out in public everyone would be like "what the hell is that thing?!"
    You should take it to the Apple store, show it to them, and then ask someone how much it could be worth

7. bob vansteel thread starter macrumors regular

Haha ya it be funny to see some of the reactions

8. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Every now and them I break out my first gen iPod... and people ask me why I got such a crappy knock off when I already have an iPod! :eek:

9. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

Rofl.
    That's kinda happened to me.
    I have the monochrome 4G 20GB that I carry with me along with my 6G 80GB and a lot of people think my monochrome iPod is fake.
    They just think that iPods started out good and with huge hard drives and touch screens.
    And you know there are always going to be those people that are hard to convince other wise.

10. RainForRent macrumors 6502

RainForRent

Aww man... I still use a color screen 4G as my only iPod! I can't seem to give up my firewire connectivity...

11. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Nice reading :rolleyes:

12. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

Oh, I didn't know from what he posted.
    I knew before that.
    I didn't even know he said that, I just barely browsed the first post.

13. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

People always say about my mini, "Why is your nano so thick?":D

Good find, but wasn't the original 1st gen iPod 5 GB only? I think the 2nd gen (which has no exterior differences are far as I can tell) had 5 and 10 GB models. I'm probably wrong though.

14. sn00pie macrumors 6502a

sn00pie

I think it may be worth something one day. This was the product that took Apple from a somewhat unknown company to the company that has surpassed Google. :)

15. dsharits macrumors 68000

dsharits

Correct, the 1st gen was 5 GB, followed by the 5 or 10 GB 2nd gen. The only exterior difference between the two was that the 1st gen had a physical turning scroll wheel, but the 2nd gen used a touch-sensitive wheel with no moving parts.

16. Xavier macrumors 68020

I still like ti whip out my old 3G iPod 15gb with the red lights behind the buttons.

It is fun to see the reactions!:apple:

17. dsharits macrumors 68000

dsharits

The 3rd gen is still my favorite iPod, other than the Touch. It was the only one to exclusively use touch controls rather than a click wheel of some sort. I'm not really sure where the design for the button placement came from, since every single other iPod (again, besides the Touch) had the same basic configuration of the buttons around the scroll wheel. The 3rd gen was kind of the black sheep.

18. soberbrain macrumors 65816

soberbrain

That was my previous iPod. I packed it back in it's original box the day I got my iPhone.

19. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

I get that all the time with mine too. I tell people its the original iPod touch. I like it. I bought it to play music, and it still does that very well so I don't see the point in getting a new one until this one kicks the bucket.

20. SDLSteve macrumors 6502

Those were the days. The first gen ipod when Apple's stock was $20-$30. Now it's $180 after a split...I'm still kicking myself.

21. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Just wanted to clear up some misinformation in this thread. The 1G iPod did indeed come in a 10gb model - it has the same casing and scroll wheel as the original-original 5gb, but a 10gb HDD. The 2G gor the touch wheel with the same physical buttons around it.

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/consumer_electronics/stats/ipod.html

Also, the 1G CAN work with PCs (at least the 10gb model can, I think the 5gb might be Mac only), just FW only. I have a 10gb 1G and can personally conform it works with a PC.

Anyways, in case anyone is interested, I'm going to sell the 10gb 1G iPod complete with box, original everything, plus a silicone case, and car charger. It's not MINT but it's in good, clean, working condition. I'll list it in the marketplace this weekend, but anyone know what something like this would be worth?

Rob

22. CarlisleUnited macrumors 6502

I remember when i was like 13 seeing one of these in a huge computer shop and begging my dad to get me one, he never gave the ipod to me but i saved up for a loooong time and got myself the third generation the day of release sparking my love for apple lol

23. yoppie macrumors 6502a

Nice find. I still use my 3rd generation 20GB iPod to listen to music. The only other iPods I have are the iPod nano that came with the MacBook during the Back to School promo in 2006 and my 1st gen iPhone.

I'm not going to purchase a new iPod until the old one dies out. ;)

24. bandrews macrumors 6502a

Use it. You'll be super cool. Who needs a colour screen anyway - it's not like you stare at your iPod when you're listening to music anyway! ;)

I just bought a 10GB 2Gen off ebay for $100. Might sound like quite a lot but that only works out at around £50. I love it. I really did prefer the styling of gen 1-3 and think it went downhill after that (with the exception of the 1Gen Nano and iPhone).

Go on, use it. These things weren't designed to sit in boxes........

25. Macman756 macrumors 6502a

Macman756

I have the 5GB ist gen iPod which I bought in Dec of 01. Never out of the case, no scratches and everything it came with, cable, charger, box, manual, CD, headphones. Everything! Worth much?