I found a shuffle

spencerwatts

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 6, 2004
27
0
I found it in my HS staduim, and it was under grass and dirt.


It's really dirty, and don' start ethics, I have my reasons.

So, Uh.. How would I go about cleaning it in the best way?

(It's a 512, and all the songs are Rap :( )



[Edit. I'm not keeping it. I'm giving it to my friend. Thanks for not eating my eyes out.]

[Edit2. And I mean cleaning it, not wiping it, but thanks. :p ]
 

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
6,137
1,161
East Coast
spencerwatts said:
I found it in my HS staduim, and it was under grass and dirt.


It's really dirty, and don' start ethics, I have my reasons.

So, Uh.. How would I go about cleaning it in the best way?

(It's a 512, and all the songs are Rap :( )
I'm not going to start preaching, but think about Karma.

Anyways, it's pretty easy to wipe a Shuffle. Just plug it into any computer with iTunes on it.
 

spencerwatts

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 6, 2004
27
0
Ugh.

It was under dirt. It's been rained on. And it's at a public track, so turning it in to the school would be dumb.


Yey.
 

Koodauw

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2003
3,936
165
Madison
I would imagine a q-tip and just a touch of water would be the best way to go, although after reading about how sweat has damaged an Shuffle, perhaps not. I the cap was on the USB end of it ????
 

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
7,472
180
visiting from downstream
spencerwatts said:
Ugh.

It was under dirt. It's been rained on. And it's at a public track, so turning it in to the school would be dumb.

Yey.
Well, if you really wanted to do the "Right Thing", you'd inform whoever's responsible for running the track that you found a Shuffle... if anyone came looking for it, they could put the person in touch with you. If they were able to identify the music that was stored on the Shuffle, you'd know it was probably theirs.

But I don't think you have to turn it in... just clean it up (with a damp cloth), find out what music's on it (write it down), and then wipe the Shuffle.
 

dornoforpyros

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2004
3,070
3
Calgary, AB
meh I think a 512 mb shuffle falls under the finders keepers clause. Anything bigger (nano, mini etc) you should turn it in but for something so small, cheap & dirty I wouldn't think twice about keeping it.
 

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
3,766
40
Goody two shoes here: Isn't there a Mac site with id numbers for stolen lost computers? I recall hearing this over a decade ago about Apple computers, wonder if the serial number thing would apply here. I think I saw the site for it a few months back, anyway. Would make ya feel better about keeping it, though. It would me.
 

heaven

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2004
553
2
California said:
Goody two shoes here: Isn't there a Mac site with id numbers for stolen lost computers? I recall hearing this over a decade ago about Apple computers, wonder if the serial number thing would apply here. I think I saw the site for it a few months back, anyway. Would make ya feel better about keeping it, though. It would me.
Thats a good idea! Better than just keeping it. My conscience would kill me..
 

watcher2001

macrumors 6502a
I agree with the Karma rules on this. You say you found it at a public track?? Does this track have an office? Does the school race/practice there? I would put out discreet feelers to see if anyone has lost "Something of importance" and see if it has been reported lost. Some people may say that "It's only $100, why go through the trouble" I admit that I could probably take a $100 hit, lick my wounds and move on with life. However for some people $100 is a whole lot of money. Think of how you would feel if it was your iPod that was lost.
 

Josh396

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2004
1,128
0
Peoria/Chicago, IL
watcher2001 said:
However for some people $100 is a whole lot of money. Think of how you would feel if it was your iPod that was lost.
I also agree with that. What if it was a gift from a loved one? I would at least go, say you found it and if anyone comes looking for it then they should be able to claim. But it all comes down to what you think you should do.
 

DarkNetworks

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2005
1,527
0
Josh396 said:
I also agree with that. What if it was a gift from a loved one? I would at least go, say you found it and if anyone comes looking for it then they should be able to claim. But it all comes down to what you think you should do.
Yeah i know...but what if i can't afford an iPod and i want them soo badly and now i've got this kinda LUCK?

It's not everyday that you'll find an iPod...
 

DarkNetworks

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2005
1,527
0
watcher2001 said:
I agree with the Karma rules on this. You say you found it at a public track?? Does this track have an office? Does the school race/practice there? I would put out discreet feelers to see if anyone has lost "Something of importance" and see if it has been reported lost. Some people may say that "It's only $100, why go through the trouble" I admit that I could probably take a $100 hit, lick my wounds and move on with life. However for some people $100 is a whole lot of money. Think of how you would feel if it was your iPod that was lost.
Yeah i know..it's a dilemma situation here...newayz, i'll keep it...
 

DarkNetworks

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2005
1,527
0
Exactly...and
"However for some people $100 is a whole lot of money."
yeah if that's a whole a lot of money, you would keep it like what...why would you ever loose it if you bought it with lost and lost of money?I mean if it's really such and expensive thing to the person, he/she would have kept it like very very safe and not loose it...

"It was under grass and dirt.
It's really dirty"
Don't forget that there might be "some" possibility that the person wants to "throw" it away or whatsover...remember, it's UNDER Grass...lol...
 

katie ta achoo

macrumors G3
May 2, 2005
9,170
2
DarkNetworks said:
...yeah if that's a whole a lot of money, you would keep it like what...why would you ever loose it if you bought it with lost and lost of money?I mean if it's really such and expensive thing to the person, he/she would have kept it like very very safe and not loose it...
So it fell out of the guy's gym bag... does that mean he WANTED to lose it?

Losing expensive things happens sometimes; I'm pretty sure it's happened to a LOT of us.

Even though it's "only $100" to a few of y'all, to a high school student (I'm guessing it was found after a high school track meet) $100 is a LOT. (well, can be if you have no time for a job... bla!)

I'd give it to the office.. just remember Karma... Help an old lady with her groceries or give blood or SOMETHING. Even out the universe...
 

eva01

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2005
4,714
0
Gah! Plymouth
katie ta achoo said:
So it fell out of the guy's gym bag... does that mean he WANTED to lose it?

Losing expensive things happens sometimes; I'm pretty sure it's happened to a LOT of us.

Even though it's "only $100" to a few of y'all, to a high school student (I'm guessing it was found after a high school track meet) $100 is a LOT. (well, can be if you have no time for a job... bla!)

I'd give it to the office.. just remember Karma... Help an old lady with her groceries or give blood or SOMETHING. Even out the universe...
come on katie don't you know that evening out the universe is bad? Chaos is preferred, cleaned up is bad.

:p

but yes report it lost.

Now just imagine if that person that lost it is a member of Macrumors and sees this.
 

zelmo

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2004
5,490
1
Mac since 7.5
I suggest cleaning it up and offering it to Lacero as a bribe to change that avatar and swear never to use it again. That image is a much bigger crime against karma than finding/keeeping a 512MB Shuffle. :eek: :D
 

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
6,639
2
powermac666 said:
I suggest cleaning it up and offering it to Lacero as a bribe to change that avatar and swear never to use it again. That image is a much bigger crime against karma than finding/keeeping a 512MB Shuffle. :eek: :D
Hmmm... I was just about to change it back too. :D