I found an iPhone 4S

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Nastybandaid, Mar 16, 2014.

1. Nastybandaid macrumors newbie

I came across an iPhone 4S In midtown Atlanta, I believe to have been stolen, upon charging it I saw that it had not had any notifications besides spotify in 109 days (chances are whomever stole it cleared the recent messages or calls or whatever) so I looked at several forums that said simply ask Siri to find the contact information, but I can not connect to any wifi to do such, I'd like to return the phone to whomever, oh I forgot to mention it is still locked so my guess is the thief have up on trying to get into the phone because after one attempt of trying to unlock it (playing around) I was greeted with a disable of 60 minutes, so I'm just curious if my only option it to turn the phone into the police who chances are won't have any better luck than I.

2. 617aircav Suspended

If you cant access the phone then there is no hope of you locating the owner. Nothing you can do.

3. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

What carrier is the iPhone on? Maybe take out the SIM and see.

If its AT&T maybe you can take it to a place where AT&T has free WiFi hotspot and see if the phone automatically connects and try to see if Siri works.

4. easy-peasy macrumors regular

5. Nastybandaid thread starter macrumors newbie

The iPhone is a Verizon, iOS 7 seems to just be a pain lately, well I tried my best my friend has it now and is seeing what he can do, he connected it to iTunes and such and is trying to get it to restore so that at least we can get the contact number that comes when it has been reported lost or stolen

6. kelvinmead macrumors newbie

the imei is printed inside, and the police use that to return to provider.

7. Nastybandaid thread starter macrumors newbie

Well my friend got the phone restored, it was never reported lost or stolen but it's been 109 days at least since it was used so I'm curious if the person even cared at this point or didn't know they should report it lost or stolen.

8. iamvogue macrumors newbie

Why not just hand it over to the police or something? If I were you, that's what I would have did. Anyway, great job that you bothered to return it to the owner :rolleyes:

9. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

wha??

First off, he is trying to find out who the owner is, to return it to them, not break into the phone to get whatever is on the phone.

Second, speaking as the son of a police officer, if the OP does turn it into the police, and it is reported as stolen, how is the police going to know that the OP was not the one who stole it? If they have a report of it being stolen, they could easily arrest the OP for possession of stolen property.

Not saying that that would happen, but the situation does exist. So why not play the good samaritan and try to find the owner themselves and get it to them?

In this case, there is more than one way to do the right thing; and the better option, without getting the police involved, would be to try to find the owner and get the iPhone back to them.

BL.

10. ABC5S macrumors 68040

ABC5S

Bold above does not make any sense. Why would the thief turn it in ? Why would the police think he is the one that took it from the owner after turning it in. That makes no sense. A found property report would be made and connect it to a thief report if there is one and that would be it.

How do I know ? I'm a retired police detective.

Now, if he did not turn it in, and the OP knew that it was stolen, and the police for some reason stopped him for some reason, saw the phone and ran it in the police data base, and it came back stolen, the OP could be arrested for either receiving stolen property or the original thief unless the OP had some evidence that he did in fact find it. ;)

11. I7guy macrumors G5

I don't agree with your post:

1. If turning property into the police guaranteed you'll get arrested for possession of stolen property nobody would do do,

2. Unfortunately in today's day and age it is much safer to turn property into the police rather than playing DIY private eye.

12. 617aircav Suspended

If the phone is locked then there is nothing OP can do to find the owner. Either he turns it to the police or keeps it.
    owner.

13. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Every once in a while a thread like this pops up, and I am always astounded at how much faith people put into police to play Sherlock Holmes and find the correct owner of the phone. Maybe if you live in a town of fifty people something like this will happen. More often than not, the police are way busy taking care of actual crime.

It has been established that it's a Verizon phone. Verizon has all of the information necessary to get this phone to its rightful owner, should they choose to do so. The police DO NOT have that information. The only place it would make snese to turn this phone in would be a Verizon store. Leave it to them to do the right thing as you have already exhausted all resources available to you in finding the owner.

14. IpadSC400 macrumors 6502a

IpadSC400

Good for you. There aren't very many people that find an iphone on the sidewalk and try and locate the original owner. Heck, it's a free 50 dollar bill. Kudos to you and I hope you find the owner. Maybe he'll reward you or something. :)

15. Dustman macrumors 65816

Dustman

Are you implying that he's doing the wrong thing? The police won't do anything. They'll stick it in a drawer and let someone come and find it. OP is going out of his way to try get it back home.

What about this has you so annoyed?