I Found I have a little scratch on my iPad's screen

Discussion in 'iPad' started by walkie, Mar 29, 2011.

1. walkie macrumors 6502

Yesterday I found a little scratch on my iPad's screen, I don't how it happened :(, what can I do to make it disappear?

2. Steelers7510 macrumors 6502

Steelers7510

3. Built macrumors 68020

The OP obviously thinks so, and besides, if you were to incur damage to your iPad that you think might possibly be repairable, wouldn't you want to ask the people who know?????

This is a perfectly legitimate thread.

4. Steelers7510 macrumors 6502

Steelers7510

A scratch is a scratch.

5. fanboy05 macrumors regular

I am not aware of any free or at home easy fixes for a scratch.
    I would recommend putting a zagg or other heavy duty cover over the screen and backside so that in the future you don't get more though!

6. BadMoon macrumors 6502

Noooooooooo! There goes my sleep for the night. :mad:

7. BobbieM629 macrumors regular

Yet again why I spend the money to have an invisishield!

8. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

Scratches will happen on every iPad/iPhone that has no SP. Its bound to happen so just live with it. I promise 95% of scratches you cannot see when the screen is on.

If you worry about resell, take it to Apple before you sell, tell them something wrong with it, get a replacement. Keep the wrapping on the replacement then sell it as New.

Thats what I do. (I do not lie to get my replacements, as the ones I take back before I sell actually did have problems that might have got me negative feedback on eBay- I'm talking about iPad and iPhone here btw.)

9. aperry macrumors 6502a

You could always remove the glass, melt it down, and re-cast it. I guarantee that scratch will no longer be there.

Better yet, get some fresh silica sand, a hot fire, and some....

10. aperry macrumors 6502a

11. Brookzy macrumors 68040

Brookzy

After a quick look, there's about three scratches on my iPad's screen. And it's four days old.

And I don't really care.

;)

12. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

Invest in a good screen protector. I had a scratch on my iPhone, and then I got a Power Support crystal film to protect it. To my surprise, the film sealed the scratch and it's almost invisible with the film installed.

13. melman101 macrumors 68030

I agree. Same thing happened with my iPad 1. Go get yourself a Crystal Film Screen Protector from Power Support and it will make the scratch almost disappear. Problem is, no crystal films till mid april. Hence why I'm going naked (well I have a smart cover) with my iPad until then.

14. SethBoy macrumors regular

Thing is my first 3 generations of iPhones had no scratches at all, and my 3GS was treated quite roughly. When it came to the iPhone 4 and the first gen iPad, I babied them and still got scratches on the screen. I looked at my old phones, and they had no scratches at all, not even hairline ones.

I wouldn't really care if they were hairline scratches, but there's this particularly deep and long one on my iPad's screen which is quite visible and distracting. Luckily I got over scratchophobia, but I suggest those who do have that should get their screens protected right from day 1.

15. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

I actually had the eraser thing work beautifully for me on my iPhone 4 antenna band. I had a spot that was lightly scuffed down by one of my speakers. The scuff was VERY noticeable under most lighting situations. Some firm erasing with a pencil eraser seems to have completely removed the scuff. You can still sort of tell where that area is because the eraser polishes it up a little bit, but the brushed effect is still there, and someone looking right at it that didn't know I did that would never be able to tell the difference.

16. Built macrumors 68020

+1 on the Power Support Crystal Shield. I have had it on my original iPhone (1st gen), iPhone 3G, iPhone 4 and iPad 1.

...and if you live in SoCal, the Power Support store in Glendale does on the spot professional installs in no time at all for a couple of bucks while you wait.

Aside from the current quality control issues reported on the intial batch of iPad 2s, the fact that the Power Support Crystal is not avaialble for another month or so is the number one (or two) reason for me holding off on pulling the trigger on an iPad 2. After my success with Power Support, I cannot imagine walking around with a "naked" iPad.

17. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

I live in Mission Viejo, but i cant find the glendale store on the store locator.

18. Built macrumors 68020

Hey Andrew...I am so sorry...it is in Burbank...My apologies...I live in Playa del Rey and think of everything beyond Hollywood as no-mans land LOL

Update: Yelp says the store closed. I am calling the number now.

Further update...NEW store location is at 2522 West Magnolia Burbank, CA 91505

19. DougFNJ macrumors 6502a

DougFNJ

So you take the device in to Apple, you make something up about the device to have them believe it is defective to give you the replacement, get one of their refurbished units, keep the plastic on, then you tell the buyer the refurbished unit you are selling them is brand new?

20. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

no, I actually had problems with mine...but yes making it up is an option. I wouldnt do it but i know some people on here that do this.

also when you get the replacement, you can't tell if its new or refurbished. So you have the right to list it under new on ebay

Edit-on eBay I do put in my description "swapped out at apple 2 days ago, ect.."

21. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

k Thank you, will make a trip over there

I have the anti glare but I cant get used to the reduced screen resolution. Thought I could but couldn't haha

22. bluebermuda macrumors regular

bluebermuda

Purchase some very fine sandpaper and try to sand out the scratch. :p

23. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

I just found a scratch on my iPad screen today too. Less than a cm long and unnoticeable when the screen is on but it still bothers me that it's there.

24. ohla313 macrumors 6502a

ohla313

scratch here too. very small dot that I thought was dust. But when I tried scrubbing it away it remained. It's on the bottom left near the home button. drives me crazy!